Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
Job Requisition Type: Evergreen (Formerly known as talent pools, in order to have a balanced number of ready-to-hire candidates who can be deployed at short notice to a vacancy that best matches their skills. Evergreens are primarily used to fill Temporary Appointments.)
Call for applications – Livelihood & Economic Inclusion Officer, P4: Location: Various location
Why should you join us?: UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, takes the lead in protecting people forced to flee wars and persecution around the world, providing life-saving aid including shelter, food and water to ensure their basic safety, rights and dignity. With 18,879 women and men working in 137 countries, we work tirelessly to make a difference in the lives of 89.3 million forcibly displaced people worldwide.: Our dedicated and professional staff work around the clock in roles including legal protection, community services, public affairs, health and more. Despite the challenges they can face, our staff are proud to work for UNHCR and determined to make a positive impact.
How can you make a difference?: The Senior Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer should be proactive, always looking for new opportunities and persuasive in mobilizing donors and new partners around new models of economic and financial inclusion. The incumbent will play a lead role in formulating interventions that position UNHCR a key catalyst for livelihoods and the economic inclusion of refugees.
The Senior Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer will have extensive contacts with both internal and external counterparts. The incumbent will work closely with and supervise staff and/or technical consultants in the field and will work closely with multi-functional teams on matters including but not limited to development, protection, education, cash, partnerships, research and analytics, solutions, GBV, complementary pathways, private sector, development and more. Externally, the Senior Livelihood and Economic Inclusion Officer will help promote refugees’ economic inclusion through effective partnerships with relevant government line ministries, intergovernmental authorities, development actors, the private sector, UN agencies, international organisations and NGOs, and research institutions and universities, at global, regional and country levels.
Key responsibilities and duties::
- Act as sector lead for livelihoods and economic inclusion, provide technical insights to staff and senior management to advance livelihoods and economic inclusion, contribute to partnership management processes, and represent UNHCR Livelihoods as appropriate and necessary in meetings within and outside UNHCR.
- Lead the design, planning and implementation of the operation’s market-based livelihoods and economic inclusion strategy and provide technical guidance to partners to advance the employment, self-employment and self-reliance of displaced persons, and enhance the enabling environment for economic and financial inclusion.
- Develop and strengthen strategic partnerships, mobilize resources, facilitate joint programming to enhance the enabling environment and facilitate the economic and financial inclusion of stateless and displaced persons. development and strengthening of partnerships with, inter-alia, development actors, private sector, social enterprises, government and local authorities
- Oversee the design and deployment of data collection and analysis for evidence-based advocacy livelihoods and economic inclusion programming including socio-economic assessments, joint assessment missions, refugee-specific labor policy analysis, market assessment and analysis, monitoring and evaluation.
- Promote knowledge-sharing and exchange among actors and ensure the documentation of impact, good practices and lessons learned.
Who are we looking for?: Candidates with 9 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 8 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 7 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Requirements: Experience in facilitating the economic inclusion of vulnerable and marginalized groups and managing and advising on development processes in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders, ideally in varied rural and urban contexts. Demonstrated experience in working with and developing partnerships with private sector, NGOs, UN organisations, development actors, and government authorities in sub-sectors relevant to livelihood programming e.g. financial inclusion, employment, entrepreneurship, private sector development, local economic development, poverty reduction, agriculture, livestock, vocational and technical education and training. Proven experience in developing and influencing organizational policy development on areas related to livelihoods programming and economic inclusion. Proven experience in conducting sector assessments using quality social-science methods and tools, and in developing at least one comprehensive multi-year strategic plan for livelihoods and economic inclusion.
Advantage: Experience in drafting technical guidance, research/review reports.
Previous exposure to refugee/forced displacement/returnee situations.
Knowledge about latest developments around economic inclusion of displaced and stateless persons, and broader UN processes on the SDGs and the Global Compact on Refugees.
For a more detailed description, please review the job description: (link)
COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION: UNHCR’s workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. We seek to sustain and strengthen this diversity and to ensure equal opportunities, as well as an inclusive working environment, for our entire workforce. Joining us means living, sharing and promoting these core values of inclusion, diversity and gender equality.
Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on the grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.