The World Bank
World Bank in Washington, United States
Job #: req18210
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 8/15/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit (link)
The Prospects Group of the Equitable Growth, Finance and Institutions Vice-Presidency (EPGDR) provides timely analysis on global economic and financial developments, and their impact on the member countries of the WBG. Internally, it informs and helps define policy positions of the WBG and provides analytical support for WBG operations. Externally, EPGDR aims to influence global policy debates on major macroeconomic and development issues. In fulfilling this objective, EPGDR leads the WBG’s monitoring, analyzing, and forecasting work in global macroeconomics. It produces topical and policy-oriented analytical work, including the semi-annual WBG corporate flagship Global Economic Prospects report and the semi-annual Commodity Markets Outlook report. In addition, EPGDR produces a wide range of analytical studies that appear as working papers, policy notes, and research publications in scientific journals, conference volumes, and book chapters.
The Prospects Group is looking for a highly competent professional to be the Lead Economist for a dynamic team of researchers with the following main tasks.
Provide intellectual guidance and leadership for major reports of research on topical issues that are of high concern to policy makers in emerging market and developing economies. These reports are founded on strong analytical content , using state-of-the-art econometric techniques, and will require a deep familiarity with topical issues in the current global policy debate.
- Lead analytical chapters for the Global Economic Prospects (GEP), one of the World Bank Group flagship reports.
- Guide and contribute to research program on topics related to commodity markets.
- Nurture a high-skilled, responsive team with the capability and flexibility to respond to changing thematic focus of the flagship reports as well as clients’ needs, including those of Senior Management.
- Provide analytically-founded support for Senior Management and other parts of the World Bank Group.
- C ontinuously renew and upgrade EPGDR’s expertise and analysis in the area of economic model ing and macroeconomic analysis at the global, regional, and country levels.
- Collaborate with other units and various experts in order to play an active and leading role in EPGDR’s and the World Bank’s policy-oriented research.
- Work as a key member of EPGDR’s management team.
The successful candidate will be an integral member of the staff, working closely with the Director and senior staff. The Lead Economist will be expected to deliver under tight and frequent deadlines in a fast-paced environment. S/he will work closely with a team of talented economists.
- Master’s degree with 12 years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience. Ph.D. in Economics and a strong record of academic publications strongly preferred.
- Outstanding drafting skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge and experience with quantitative analysis, modelling techniques, and econometric skills.
- Record of contributions to flagship publications and policy-oriented publications.
- Demonstrated ability to guide the analytical work of a team.
- Demonstrated ability to conduct research with an eye for policy implications of technical analysis and modeling applications.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues in a multi-cultural team.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- General Economic Knowledge and Analytical Skills — Possesses a demonstrated track record of working with economic and sectoral data and analytical tools and models to conduct economic analyses and produce user-friendly written outputs.
- Research Temperament/Intellectual Curiosity — Has demonstrated an aptitude for research through academic studies.
- Written and Verbal Communication — Delivers information effectively, including an ability to identify topical policy issues and articulate policy analysis. Experience as policy economist.
- Deliver Results for Clients — Proactively addresses clients’ stated and unstated needs.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.