WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters and the impact of climate change.
Aiming to feed 13 million of the most vulnerable people with food assistance, WFP’s emergency response in Yemen is the agency’s largest anywhere in the world. WFP also provides nutrition support to 1.7 million children and mothers, and delivers school meals to 850,000 children each day.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Regional Bureaux (RBs), and Headquarters (HQ) and report to a more senior Information Technology (IT) Officer. Job holders are likely to be working under the supervision of a more experienced staff member, receiving guidance and feedback on work performed. They actively contribute to the compilation, analysis, maintenance and reporting of IT data to maximise the effectiveness of IT services. They resolve daily issues and provide timely support to the design, development and usage of systems.
To support the delivery of efficient and effective IT and Telecommunications (TC) services, contributing to sound, innovative solutions that enable staff to deliver food assistance to beneficiaries, in line with WFP’s strategy.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Support the budgeting, planning, and deployment of inhouse and corporate IT digital systems and solutions that are aligned with business needs, in accordance with WFP corporate FSDN standards.
- Provide support to maintain IT inhouse, corporate systems and networks, ensuring appropriate data security and access controls considering both local and wide area network issues, and supporting users to get maximum benefits from them.
- Researching, designing, implementing, and managing inhouse and corporate software programs.
- Writing and implementing efficient code in accordance with WFP FSDN directive.
- Create innovative, scalable, fault-tolerant software solutions based on the functional units’ requests.
- Provide data and documentation to support the procurement of IT digital services in line with WFP business transfermation rules and regulations.
- Collate data and contribute to the preparation of accurate reports on digital/business transfermation investments and costs, providing information to inform decision-making by stakeholders.
- Develop technical skills and knowledge and build awareness of software development and digital transfermation industry developments.
- Respond to queries from users, understanding and resolving issues, providing advice, and ensuring IT policies, procedures, systems, and tools are correctly applied to support them.
- Guide junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them with analysis and queries.
- Support the capability building of staff through the organization and/or review of training programs aimed at developing skills/knowledge in digital transfermation, software development, cyber security, and beneficiary data protection.
- Expand existing inhouse and corporate software to meet the changing needs of functional units of Yemen operation
- Interact effectively with colleagues and functional units to understand their needs and provide appropriate technical/digital solution.
- Other as required.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has assisted in the design, development and implementation of software applications, management systems for handling customer requests.
- Worked as backend developers using PHP, Ruby, ASP.net, or Python and to be proficient at working with databases like MySQL, Oracle, and SQL Server.
- Has performed user support activities resulting in timely, high-quality delivery of services to user community.
- Has assisted with the specification, development, research and evaluation of software and software development standards.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Advanced university degree in Computer science, or First University degree in Computer science with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
Experience: One or more years of relevant work experience with an advanced educational degree in a relevant area of expertise OR 4 years or more in software development and service delivery and relevant work experience with a first university degree with relevant years of experience. (Administrative/Assistant/Secretariat work experience is not considered, except for years holding Associate positions or above (UN equivalent grade G-6 or above), in which case each year is counted at 50%).
Language: Fluency in English (level C written and spoken). Fluency in Arabic (level C written and spoken).
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Understands WFP’s Strategic Objectives and the link to own work objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Flexibly adapts individual contributions to accommodate changes in direction from supervisors and internal/external changes (such as evolving needs of beneficiaries, new requirements of partners).
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Recognizes and shares with team members the ways in which individual contributions relate to WFP’s mission.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Sets own goals in alignment with WFP’s overall operations, and is able to communicate this link to others.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Assesses own strengths and weaknesses to increase self-awareness, and includes these in conversations on own developmental needs.
- Create an inclusive culture: Participates in open dialogue, and values the diverse opinion of others, regardless of background, culture, experience, or country assignment.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Proactively seeks feedback and coaching to build confidence, and develop and improve individual skills.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Participates in accomplishing team activities and goals in the face of challenging circumstances.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Shows willingness to explore and experiment with new ideas and approaches in own work.
- Focus on getting results: Consistently delivers results within individual scope of work on time, on budget and without errors.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Commits to upholding individual accountabilities and responsibilities in the face of ever-changing country or functional priorities.
- Be Decisive: Makes rational decisions about individual activities when faced with uncertain circumstances, including in times of ambiguity regarding information or manager direction.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Seeks to understand and adapt to internal or cross-unit teams’ priorities and preferred working styles.
- Build strong external partnerships: Demonstrates ability to understand and appropriately respond to and/or escalate needs of external partners.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Portrays an informed and professional demeanor toward internal and external partners and stakeholders.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Provides operational support on analyses and assessments that quantifies and demonstrates WFP’s unique value as a partner.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Governance, Strategy and Architecture
Shares knowledge of IT governance process and system architecture development with team and analyses current designs for improvements and enhancements while ensuring compliance with legislation and specifies any required changes.
Change Implementation, Project Management, Planning and Optimization
Utilises working knowledge of project and change management approaches to collect and analyse relevant data from multiple stakeholders to develop evidence-based business case for change.
Exhibits deep technical knowledge in area of expertise and actively transfers knowledge to strengthen the skill base across the function; considers the most appropriate use of technical resources to ensure skill development and optimization of resource allocation.
Monitors and supervises maintenance and installation work against the established standards and protocols for service excellence and takes proper actions to correct inconsistencies and improve overall quality and customer satisfaction. Ensures that operational problems are identified and resolved.
Applies thorough understanding of the business, customers, new IT technologies and techniques to implement improved solutions and define service levels, standards and the monitoring process for client service staff.
Procurement and Contract Management
Able to conduct a cost-benefit analysis of alternative technologies and vendor service level agreements to consolidate options and assess suitability.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The applicant should be a Yemeni national
- Only candidates who are short-listed will be contacted
- Applications must be submitted online with:
- Use English language only
- Indicate all your job TOR
- indicate clear years of experience with each job (Month/Year)
- WFP staff who are still under probation period are not eligible to apply for another FT position.
- WFP staff on FT contracts must have completed one year in the current position to be eligible to apply for another FT position.
- By submitting your application, you have read the Terms of Reference for this position and agree that any false, wrong or incomplete information might lead to your disqualification in this recruitment process.
- Successful candidates vetted as viable candidates through the application process will be retained on internal roster for a two-year period and may be given further consideration for future similar specific position advertised in the duty station.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
15th September 2021
WFP never uses external recruitment agencies and recruitment is always is free of charge. WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles. The selection of staff are made on a competitive basis and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance. Only applicants whose profiles meet the advertised job requirements will be considered and only within the announced deadline.
Ù„Ø§ ÙŠÙ‚ÙˆÙ… Ø¨Ø±Ù†Ø§Ù…Ø¬ Ø§Ù„Ø£ØºØ°ÙŠØ© Ø§Ù„Ø¹Ø§Ù„Ù…ÙŠ Ø¨Ø§Ù„Ø§Ø³ØªØ¹Ø§Ù†Ø© Ø§Ø¨Ø¯Ø§Ù‹ Ø¨Ø£Ø´Ø®Ø§Øµ Ø§Ùˆ Ø¨ÙˆÙƒØ§Ù„Ø§Øª Ø®Ø§Ø±Ø¬ÙŠØ© ÙÙŠ Ø§Ù„ØªÙˆØ¸ÙŠÙØŒ Ø¹Ù„Ù…Ø§Ù‹ Ø¨Ø§Ù† Ø¹Ù…Ù„ÙŠØ© Ø§Ù„ØªÙˆØ¸ÙŠÙ Ø¯Ø§Ø¦Ù…Ø§Ù‹ Ù…Ø¬Ø§Ù†ÙŠØ©. ÙŠØ¨ØØ« Ø¨Ø±Ù†Ø§Ù…Ø¬ Ø§Ù„Ø£ØºØ°ÙŠØ© Ø§Ù„Ø¹Ø§Ù„Ù…ÙŠ Ø¹Ù† Ù…Ø±Ø´ØÙŠÙ† Ù…Ù† Ø£Ø¹Ù„Ù‰ Ø¯Ø±Ø¬Ø§Øª Ø§Ù„Ù†Ø²Ø§Ù‡Ø© ÙˆØ§Ù„ÙƒÙØ§Ø¡Ø© Ø§Ù„Ù…Ù‡Ù†ÙŠØ© ÙˆØ§Ù„Ø°ÙŠÙ† ÙŠØªÙ‚Ø§Ø³Ù…ÙˆÙ† Ù…Ø¨Ø§Ø¯Ø¦Ù†Ø§ Ø§Ù„Ø¥Ù†Ø³Ø§Ù†ÙŠØ©.
ÙŠØªÙ… Ø§Ø®ØªÙŠØ§Ø± Ø§Ù„Ù…ÙˆØ¸ÙÙŠÙ† Ø¹Ù„Ù‰ Ø£Ø³Ø§Ø³ ØªÙ†Ø§ÙØ³ÙŠ ÙˆÙ†ØÙ† Ù…Ù„ØªØ²Ù…ÙˆÙ† Ø¨ØªØ¹Ø²ÙŠØ² Ø§Ù„ØªÙ†ÙˆØ¹ ÙˆØ§Ù„ØªÙˆØ§Ø²Ù† Ø¨ÙŠÙ† Ø§Ù„Ø¬Ù†Ø³ÙŠÙ†. Ø³ÙŠØªÙ… Ø§Ù„Ù†Ø¸Ø± ÙÙ‚Ø· Ù„Ù„Ù…ØªÙ‚Ø¯Ù…ÙŠÙ† Ø§Ù„Ø°ÙŠÙ† ØªÙÙŠ Ù…Ù„ÙØ§ØªÙ‡Ù… Ø§Ù„Ø´Ø®ØµÙŠØ© Ø¨Ù…ØªØ·Ù„Ø¨Ø§Øª Ø§Ù„ÙˆØ¸ÙŠÙØ© Ø§Ù„Ù…Ø¹Ù„Ù† Ø¹Ù†Ù‡Ø§ØŒ ÙˆÙÙ‚Ø· Ø®Ù„Ø§Ù„ Ø§Ù„Ù…ÙˆØ¹Ø¯ Ø§Ù„Ù†Ù‡Ø§Ø¦ÙŠ Ø§Ù„Ù…Ø¹Ù„Ù†
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Grade NO-A
- Office WFP Sana'a, Yemen