IFC - International Finance Corporation
IFC Belgrade, Serbia
Job #: req20842
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Belgrade,Serbia; Warsaw,Poland
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 2/10/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
IFC—a member of the World Bank Group—is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We work in more than 100 countries, using our capital, expertise, and influence to create markets and opportunities in developing countries. In fiscal year 2022, IFC committed a record $32.8 billion to private companies and financial institutions in developing countries, leveraging the power of the private sector to end extreme poverty and boost shared prosperity as economies grapple with the impacts of global compounding crises. For more information, visit (link)
The IFC 3.0 strategy aims to stimulate more investment activity across emerging markets, especially in the Low Income Countries (LICs) and the Fragile and Conflict affected States (FCS). This strategy aims to create new opportunities for private investments in riskier markets and sectors by proactively working “upstream” to create, deepen, and expand markets and to design and develop potential investment projects. Achieving these growth and impact ambitions at scale requires a different approach to business development, deal sourcing, and client support that relies on 1) a broader product offering to engage earlier in the project cycle and to secure opportunities; 2) a greater focus on preparing clients in nascent markets and sectors for investment; 3) a greater focus on value addition and the risk management of portfolio investment clients to enhance their performance; and 4) a longer time horizon and a more patient, longer-term perspective.
Investment Officers or Operations Officers will support the Manufacturing, Agribusiness and Services unit’s efforts to enable investment opportunities in the Europe region, which includes the Western Balkans, the Caucasus, Moldova, Ukraine, Poland, Romania, Croatia and Bulgaria, by 1) incubating high impact projects and initiatives that require upstream project development to reach the point of investment and by 2) getting potential clients ready for IFC investment through client preparation and development. The position will be under the supervision of the Regional Industry Upstream and Advisory Manager.
Role & Responsibilities:
- Support the identification and assessment of investment opportunities based upon country/sector strategies and client/market needs, as well as their market creation potential.
- Assist in evaluating, structuring, negotiating, and closing new early-stage project development and advisory transactions in order to create and/ or enable impactful IFC investments.
- Develop innovative and appropriate financial structures for straightforward investment transactions.
- Participate in or lead negotiations as appropriate. Use financial competences and personal influencing skills to overcome impasses and lead early-stage project development and advisory activities to successful investment outcomes
- Work with the senior staff to develop a strong pipeline of good quality investment opportunities.
- Build up and maintain strong relationships with clients, global and regional private businesses, banking and multilateral partners and government officials to further develop the sector and to generate specific investment opportunities.
- Coordinate closely with social, environmental, and technical assistance colleagues in order to add value to our clients’ businesses, find pragmatic solutions to specific sector challenges, and to achieve sustainable development impact.
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to increase the social development impact of new or portfolio projects.
- Contribute to the early-stage development of bankable investment projects and to the advisory projects that lead to IFC investments.
- Conduct targeted research, data analysis, and stakeholder interviews in order to enable appropriate project design, including the assessment of sector dynamics, the identification of market gaps/barriers, and the related market analysis.
- Support the delivery of Upstream and Advisory projects as well as investment projects enabled by Upstream’s efforts.
- Collaborate with investment teams to ensure the successful conversion of Upstream projects into IFC investments.
- Support engagement with the World Bank to identify and to contribute to sector and regulatory reforms that would support opportunities for private investment.
- An MBA or an equivalent qualification.
- 6+ years of experience in finance with a track record of sourcing, structuring and/or closing investments.
- Financial and credit skills and ability to structure a variety of financial instruments (including debt, equity and mezzanine). A proven ability to develop financial models.
- Demonstrated knowledge of industries, industry trends and opportunities in the sub-region countries, an understanding of local issues and the ability to link policy reforms, advisory interventions, investments, and private capital mobilization to deliver solutions at the country level.
- Business development and client relationship skills, a successful track record in business development and the ability to focus effectively on client needs from the point of view of origination/execution.
- The ability to support engagement with private sector clients, local and national governments and other stakeholders in order to encourage pioneering business and market development.
- Experience in project/program management, including executing against implementation plans with defined business development milestones.
- Experience in monitoring and reporting on portfolio of projects/programs/initiatives.
- The ability to interact directly and independently with the senior management of potential clients, of financial and technical partners as well as with government officials.
- Excellent written, verbal communication, presentation abilities, and interpersonal skills plus fluency in English is required.
- Strong inter-personal skills, the ability to interact effectively with clients and colleagues from various cultural backgrounds.
- Outstanding analytical and critical thinking skills.
- A genuine commitment to sustainable development and to the highest ethical standards.
- The willingness to travel.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.