ADB - Asian Development Bank
Job Vacancy | Friday, July 15, 2022
Reference Number: 220430
: Department: Office of the General Counsel
Division: Office of the General Counsel
Location: Asian Development Bank Headquarters
Date Posted: Friday, July 15, 2022
Closing Date: Thursday, September 15, 2022 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
“Legal Protection of Forests in ADB Developing Member Countries.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
The intern will provide legal, analytical, and coordination support for the Office of General Counsel’s (OGC) Law and Policy Reform (LPR) Program. The LPR Program is comprised of a portfolio of technical assistance (TA) projects in key areas such as digital economy, environment and climate change, gender equality, private sector development and public-private partnerships. Primarily, the intern will help support the Legal Toolkit for the Protection of Forests regional TA but may also be called upon for general LPR research, writing and coordination assistance. Opportunities will also be provided to participate in stakeholder consultations with government and court authorities and other relevant stakeholders and national and regional capacity building programs and conferences.
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
- Timing: January 2023
4. LOCATION: ADB Headquarters, Manila, Philippines (or virtually, depending on prevailing travel restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- Detailed research report and presentation on:
o forest protection laws in selected DMCs, including gaps, institutional arrangements, and implementation and enforcement issues;
o international legal instruments and principles that are relevant (e.g., Convention on Biological Diversity, UN Convention to Combat Desertification and UN Forest Instrument); and
o legal provisions that have been effective in promoting forest stewardship in different regions of the world.
- Legal, analytical and research and writing support to the LPR team and counsels on other law and policy reform areas;
- Coordination with development partners, regional institutions and other external stakeholders on various LPR initiatives; and
- Other duties that may be assigned.
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Juris Doctor (JD), Master’s degree in Law (LLM) or a Doctor of Philosophy (PhD). Specialization in environmental, climate change and/or sustainable development law or other related fields if highly preferred.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Must have strong academic performance;
- Must demonstrate excellent legal research, writing and analytical skills;
- Possess strong presentation, communication, interpersonal, coordination and organizational skills, along with ability to interface effectively with internal and external parties such as government officials, judges, development partners and other stakeholders;
- Able to work in multi-cultural and multi-skilled teams;
- Excellent computer and digital literacy skills, including with Word, Excel and PowerPoint and virtual platforms such as MS Teams and Zoom; and
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English is required.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application: 1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).