ADB - Asian Development Bank
Job Vacancy | Friday, July 15, 2022
Reference Number: 220427
: Department: South Asia Department
Division: Nepal Resident Mission
Location: Nepal Resident Mission
Date Posted: Friday, July 15, 2022
Closing Date: Thursday, September 15, 2022 11:59 p.m. (2359 Manila Time, 0800 GMT)
1. INTERNSHIP TOPIC:
“Identification of possible solutions for systematic wastewater conveyance to waste water treatment plants in Kathmandu thereby reduce pollution, improve urban environment and ensure rejuvenation of the Bagmati River.”
2. SUMMARY OF JOB DESCRIPTION:
- Understand the Kathmandu urban context particularly organic development in core areas, topography, and population density.
- Review the available reports and documents of wastewater interventions and past studies.
- Carry out stakeholders’ consultation with Government officials, development partners, ADB staff and community-based organizations.
- Conduct global case studies of similar contexts and identify relevant lessons.
- Examine the existing situation, including adequacy of the water supply
- Identify opportunities and challenges of centralized sewerage and onsite sanitation systems in the context of Kathmandu for infrastructure augmentation and operation and maintenance.
- Recommend possible solutions, actions government needs to take to overcome the challenges, and quantification of benefits
3. PERIOD OF ASSIGNMENT:
- Duration: 8 weeks (with a possibility of extension)
- Timing: January 2023
4. LOCATION: ADB Nepal Resident Mission, Kathmandu, Nepal (or virtually, depending on prevailing travel restrictions)
5. EXPECTED OUTCOMES:
- A report covering existing satiation analysis and recommended feasible approach(s) to resolve the issues of wastewater conveyance system of Kathmandu
- Share the finding in an internal workshop attended by relevant staff of NRM, SAUW, SAER and SDCC (Water Sector Group).
6. EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS:
Currently enrolled in a Masters or PhD program in environmental science or engineering.
7. RELEVANT EXPERIENCE AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- One or two years of Experience in the wastewater sector as a technical analyst in any country similar to Nepal
- Sound technical, analytical capacity.
- Research paper/thesis/dissertation on aspects of identifying innovative technical solutions for establishing wastewater conveyance system in a monotonous topography will be preferred.
Upload the following documents in the “Attachments” section of your application: 1. Curriculum vitae (CV)
2. Proof of enrollment to a Masters or PhD program. Inclusive dates should confirm that you will be enrolled during the intended period of assignment.
3. Essay in MS WORD or PDF document, maximum of 1500 words per question. (Please see essay questions below)
(1) Describe one example of your experience that demonstrated your interest in working in ADB.
(2) Highlight your qualifications that will help accomplish this internship assignment (e.g., coursework, research, work experience, etc.).