European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD)
Office of the Chief Economist
Posting End Date
The Office of the Chief Economist (“OCE”) consists of a team of around 20 economists, economic analysts, and support staff. It contributes to the operational, policy and strategy work of the Bank and provides intellectual leadership on the development of well-functioning market economies in the EBRD’s region of operation, which comprises all countries in Emerging Europe and Central Asia, Mongolia, as well as Egypt, Jordan, Morocco and Tunisia. OCE also supports the Bank’s operations by monitoring macroeconomic developments and risks. In addition, OCE undertakes economic research, and publishes the EBRD’s Transition Report and other research-based papers and reports.
The Office of the Chief Economist is looking for full-time summer interns to support the OCE team working on the Transition Report 2023-24.
The contract will be for a minimum of three months during the period of April – September 2023.
Key Responsibilities and Deliverables
The duties of the intern will include, but may not be limited to, the following:
- Working on analysis of household survey conducted in around 40 countries
- Downloading, cleaning, preparing and documenting a variety of datasets on macroeconomic and microeconomic issues pertaining to recent developments in the transition region.
- Conducting statistical analyses based on these data and create graphs and charts to be used in the Transition Report and various presentations
- Contribute to drafting a working paper or a chapter of the Report.
Essential Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- A Ph.D. candidate in Economics or related field or a Master’s degree in economics or a related field from a leading university. Candidates with a strong, quantitatively oriented economics degree at the Bachelor’s level will be considered in exceptional cases;
- Strong quantitative skills, including knowledge of spreadsheet and econometric or statistical software (in particular STATA / R / Python);
- Good command of statistics and data analysis in general. Ability to work with large microeconomic and macroeconomic datasets.
Competencies & Personal Attributes
- Ability to perform under pressure and under tight deadlines as well as excellent organisational and communications skills, in particular working in a team
- Excellent writing skills and the ability to assess and monitor economic developments rapidly and succinctly.
This job description is not limited to the responsibilities listed and the incumbent may be requested to perform other relevant duties as required by business needs.
What is it like to work at the EBRD?
Our agile and innovative approach is what makes life at the EBRD a unique experience! You will be part of a pioneering and diverse international organisation, and use your talents to make a real difference to people’s lives and help shape the future of the regions we invest in.
The EBRD environment provides you with:
- Varied, stimulating and engaging work that gives you an opportunity to interact with a wide range of experts in the financial, political, public and private sectors across the regions we invest in;
- A working culture that embraces inclusion and celebrates diversity;
- An environment that places sustainability, equality and digital transformation at the heart of what we do.
Diversity is one of the Bank’s core values which are at the heart of everything it does. A diverse workforce with the right knowledge and skills enables connection with our clients, brings pioneering ideas, energy and innovation. The EBRD staff is characterised by its rich diversity of nationalities, cultures and opinions and we aim to sustain and build on this strength. As such, the EBRD seeks to ensure that everyone is treated with respect and given equal opportunities and works in an inclusive environment. The EBRD encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of the EBRD member countries to apply regardless of their racial, ethnic, religious and cultural background, gender, sexual orientation or disabilities. As an inclusive employer, we promote flexible working and expecting our employee to attend the office 50% of their working time.