UN Women - United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women
Inter-Agency Coordination Analyst
Location : Homebased
Application Deadline : 12-Aug-22 (Midnight New York, USA)
Additional Category : Gender Equality
Type of Contract : Individual Contract
Post Level : International Consultant
Languages Required : English
Starting Date : (date when the selected candidate is expected to start)
Duration of Initial Contract : 6 months
Expected Duration of Assignment : 6 months
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls; the empowerment of women; and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security.
Placing women’s rights at the center of all its efforts, UN Women will lead and coordinate United Nations system efforts to ensure that commitments on gender equality and gender mainstreaming translate into action throughout the world. It will provide strong and coherent leadership in support of Member States’ priorities and efforts, building effective partnerships with civil society and other relevant actors.
The UN Women’s UN System Coordination Division (UNSCD) leads the operationalization of the intergovernmental mandate to “lead, coordinate and promote the accountability of the United Nations system in its work on gender equality and the empowerment of women” at the corporate, regional and country team levels. The UNSCD seeks to contribute to enhancing coherence in the work of the UN system on Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women and works with the entities of the UN system including with the UN Development Coordination Office (DCO) and other members of the United Nations Development System (UNDS) to develop guidance, tools and training related to gender mainstreaming, for entities of the UN system and for UN Country Teams including in United Nations Sustainable Development Cooperation Frameworks. The Division is responsible for implementing system-wide accountability frameworks and tools on gender mainstreaming, including the UNCT-SWAP Gender Equality Scorecard and the UNCT Gender Equality Marker at country team level. It coordinates work with the entities and processes of the UN system also in liaison with other UN Women Divisions, Regional and Country Offices.
The Inter-Agency Coordination Analyst is a member of the UN System Coordination Division’s team which is part of the Resource Management, Sustainability and Partnerships Bureau of UN Women. Under the guidance of the UN Coordination Specialist within the Division, the Inter-Agency Coordination Analyst will support efforts to advance gender mainstreaming in the UN system at country level through the UNCT Gender Equality Marker and through system-wide guidance and capacity development on gender mainstreaming aimed toward strengthening the capacity of UNCTs to respond in coherent and effective manner to national gender equality priorities, and support to knowledge management and outreach efforts.
The Inter-Agency Coordination Analyst will provide critical support to the rollout of the UNSDG Gender Theme Group Standards and Procedures and the global analysis and implementation of the UNCT Gender Equality Marker (UNCT-GEM).
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide technical contributions and support to the Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist to advance UN system guidance related to gender mainstreaming
- UNSDG Gender Theme Groups Standards and Procedures: Provide coordination and technical support to the global roll-out of the UNSDG UN Gender Theme Group Standards and Procedures through knowledge management and bac-up support to regional and country participants in the rollout process and support to regional and global level workshops and discussions.
- Support the revision of the Resource Book on Gender Mainstreaming in UN Programming at Country Level, assisting with coordinating the identification and development of good practices and contributing technical inputs. Support and facilitate discussions on gender mainstreaming through support to the organization of UNSDG inter-agency meetings with UN entities at Headquarters, and monthly meetings with UN Women regional teams working on UN system coordination.
- Follow up on required action/outstanding issues and report on outcomes/results, alerting the Inter-Agency Specialist on critical issues to be addressed.
- Provide inputs to analysis on gender mainstreaming in the Cooperation Framework.
Provide technical support and assistance to the Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist to advance the application of the UNCT Gender Equality Marker
- Provide support to liaising with UNDCO on the UNCT gender equality marker, including to ensure alignment of related guidance with UN INFO, UNCT processes and planning and reporting cycles. Support the development and dissemination of data analysis related to the application of the UNCT Gender Equality Marker and prepare related inputs for UN Women reports.
- Provide advice and assistance to UNCT members on the application of the UNCT Gender Equality Marker through UN Women’s Global Helpdesk.
- Provide support and coordinate inputs to the new UNCT GEM Guidance Note.
- Support the development and dissemination of UNCT-GEM training materials.
Provide support to internal planning and communications
- Support the preparation of quarterly updates on progress vis-à-vis the Division’s work plan.
- Contribute to UNSCD work planning and reporting processes, and capacity building exercises.
- Prepare background documents and analysis for the Inter-Agency Coordination Specialist related to gender mainstreaming processes at UNCT level.
Provide support to knowledge management, communications and strengthening the Community of Practice on GEWE coordination in UN Women
- Support content development and updates to the UNSCD COP on GEWE Coordination intranet site and the development of monthly COP newsletters, inclusive of support to the development and dissemination of good practices and lessons learned.
- Coordination support and support to content development and facilitation of UN Women Global Coordination focal points CoP meetings to strengthen joint implementation of UN Women SN Outcome 7.
- Contribute to regular updates on UNCT-GEM and Gender Theme Groups on the external UN Women System Coordination Website.
- Good knowledge of gender equality and women’s empowerment issues
- Good knowledge of UN system and understanding of inter-agency coordination processes
- Good knowledge of results-based programme planning and management
- Ability to promote and monitor inclusion of gender-specific objectives, indicators, targets and activities in the UN agencies programmes
- Good analytical skills and ability to produce data analysis using excel and similar tools
- Ability to provide advice and support.
- Experience with knowledge management and communication tools such as MailChimp and Canva, is an asset
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s degree (or equivalent) in international development, gender studies, public administration, public policy, or other relevant social science field is required
- A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 5 years of progressively responsible experience working with inter-agency coordination and strategic programme planning processes;
- Experience in the development, planning, implementation, monitoring and reporting of programmes;
- Experience working in gender equality and women’s rights at the international level is an asset.
- Experience working in developing countries within the UN system, Agencies, Funds or Programs is an asset.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of another UN working language will be an asset.