Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
Information Technology Officer (Data Visualization)
Job Posting: 13/Jan/2023
Closure Date: 03/Feb/2023, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : CSI
Job Type: Staff position
Type of Requisition : Professional
Grade Level : P-2
Primary Location: Italy-Rome
Duration : Fixed-term: 2 years with possibility of extension
Post Number : 2005453
CCOG Code : 1A05
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
- FAO staff are subject to the authority of the Director-General, who may assign them to any of the activities or offices of the Organization.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) contributes to the achievement of the 2030 Agenda through FAO Strategic Framework by supporting the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agrifood systems, for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The Digitalization and Informatics Division (CSI) is responsible for information technology (IT) activities within the Organization. CSI performs on behalf of the Organization the following critical roles: defining FAO IT policies and providing strategic advice on IT architecture and standards, governance, policy and operational matters while monitoring organizational compliance; defining the mechanisms for managing FAO’s information and data; protecting FAO’s information assets and ensuring confidentiality, integrity and availability; ensuring provision of IT services that are core for the Organization’s global operations and supporting the information and business processes; coordinating organization-wide IT activities in order to reduce duplication and fragmentation and to increase integration of information data, systems and platforms, mobilizing IT resources from across the Organization.
The Information Technology Officer (Data Visualization) will work in the Agro-informatics Team, which is responsible for leading the development of information and communication technology (ICT) solutions and services for food and agriculture that promote digitalization and modernization through digital innovation for the 4 betters (better production, better nutrition, better environment and better life) and to achieve the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
The post is located in the Agro-informatics Team in the Digitalization and Informatics Division (CSI) at FAO headquarters in Rome, Italy.
Reporting Lines The Information Technology Officer (Data Visualization) reports to the Senior Information Technology Officer for Agro-informatics.
Technical Focus Support the agro-informatics data visualization development area that produces compelling, interactive dashboards, infographics and reports for internal and external audiences and in support of the Organization’s technical programme at the global and country level. The incumbent will provide guidance on capabilities and functionalities of data visualization tools; and act as the technical lead for matters related, but not limited to data visualization techniques, analytics dashboard design, Infographic displays and information delivery best practices.
Key Results Support and contribute to dependable supply of reliable, timely, cost effective and scalable agro-informatics data visualization products and solutions that meet the Organization’s requirements for informatics and digital transformation.
- Acts as product owner, project manager and technical leader for the Data Visualization development competency center;
- Conducts business analysis, collects business requirements and translates them into data visualization solutions leveraging best practices;
- Supports the management of human and financial resources, prepares reports on budgets and plans, supervises consultant and contractors working onsite and remotely from locations around the world;
- Collaborates with product development and user experience teams on UX design and storyboarding analytics information delivery use-cases;
- Ensures audit and security compliance, contributes to audits, assessment and evaluations;
- Contributes to the development of agro-informatics data visualization tools and products;
- Contributes to FAO situation room implementation and operation;
- Contributes to data governance and data policy;
- Contributes to the Organization’s digitalization and modernization;
- Coordinates the day-to-day activities of the Data Visualization development competency centre;
- Creates and edits visual content including dashboards, reports, maps, charts and graphs;
- Transforms data sets, quantitative and qualitative analysis into compelling visuals;
- Provides visual, technical and editorial guidance;
- Works closely with the agro-informatics communications and UX team to help promote content;
- Meets deadlines in a fast-paced environment. CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced university degree in information technology or related field or equivalent professional experience.
- Three years of relevant experience delivering Data Visualization solutions and services.
- Working knowledge (proficient – level C) of English and limited knowledge (intermediate – level B) of one of the other official FAO languages (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish).
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Excellent visual skills, including demonstrable design knowledge, such as layout, typography, color, interaction design.
- Demonstrable proficiency with Data Visualization tools (e.g., Tableau, Power BI, R/Shiny) or Data Visualization libraries.
- Extent and relevance of experience delivering Data Visualization solutions and services.
- Knowledge of quantitative research methods and report development.
- Strong cartography skills and associated tools, such as GIS.
- Knowledge of Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC).
- Demonstrable experience in managing software development projects and multicultural multi location IT teams.
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions.
FAO staff are expected to adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- Extension of fixed term appointments is based on certification of performance and availability of funds
- FAO reserves the right not to make an appointment.
- Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency or visa requirements, and security clearances.
CONDITIONS OF SERVICE
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, click on the following link: (link) allowances/salary.htm Other benefits, subject to eligibility, include:
- Dependency allowances
- Rental subsidy
- Education grant for children
- Home leave travel
- 30 working days of annual leave per year
- Pension fund entitlements under the UN Joint Staff Pension Fund
- International health insurance; optional life insurance
- Disability protection
FAO encourages a positive workplace culture to increase inclusivity and diversity within its workforce. FAO applies measures in which all staff members contribute equally and in full to the work and development of the Organization. This includes:
- elements of family-friendly policies
- flexible working arrangements
- standards of conduct.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills
- Candidates are requested to attach a letter of motivation to the online profile
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application
- Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at (link)
- Candidates may be requested to provide performance assessments and authorization to conduct verification checks of past and present work, character, education, military and police records to ascertain any and all information which may be pertinent to the employment qualifications
- Incomplete applications will not be considered
- Personal information provided on your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application
- Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT