UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
Job Identification : 5850
Locations : Sana’a, Yemen
Posting Date : 09/13/2022, 11:31 AM
Apply Before : 09/28/2022, 11:31 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Vacancy Type : Partner PSA
Practice Area : Crisis management / Country Management Support
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Arab States
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Bachelor’s Degree
Other Criteria : Master degree or Bachelor’s
Required Languages : Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and oral
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
The ESPECRP and SFISH are large national projects funded by World Bank and implemented UNDP with a duration between two and three years. Three Responsible Parties, Social Fund for Development (SFD), the Public Works Project (PWP) and SMEPS have been identified to deliver the following outputs:
- Short-term income-generation
- Recovery of SMEs
- Increasing community assets
UNDP Yemen now seeks to hire an Information Management Officer to design, develop and implement a web-based MIS system to support accurate and timely information flows, improved data management, effective data collection and analysis; and better reporting and communication for the ESPECRP, FSRRP, and SFISH projects based in the UNDP Country Office in Sana’a.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the guidance of the International Project Manager, and direct supervision of Adaptive Management Specialist, the Information Management Officer (IMO) will provide support in design, development and implementation of a web-based MIS system as an information management platform including tools and systems, resources, and training, GIS, infographic and spatial analysis for the projects interventions in close cooperation with the project national responsible parties and UNDP country office. Specifically, s/he will perform the following tasks:
- Data Management:
- Assess the information needs of the different WB Projects in close coordination with national responsible parties (RPs); review and prepare the forms produced at the different stages of the sub-project cycle; assess the reporting obligations of the projects, including by RPs to the UNDP management and donors.
- Elaborate data collection, cleaning, collation, analysis and dissemination processes relevant to the needs of the projects.
- Ensure mainstreaming of cross-cutting and cross-sectoral issues.
- Adopt and promote the use of global standards for IM for inter-operability.
- System & Approach Design:
Design an approach that ensures consolidated data collection across projects.
- Monitoring and Evaluation:
- Ensure performance is adequately monitored and effectively reported across the projects with a focus on the outcome level;
- Support the reporting against project indicators and activities, and overall monitoring processes.
- Assist in the development of various MIS forms for data collection and analysis as required.
- Information Sharing & Knowledge Management:
- Ensure timely, inclusive and regular information sharing and discussion with the M&E and MIS officer of the different projects;
- Develop and strengthen IM capacity through the training;
- Contribute to CO information databases that consolidate, analyse and report/disseminate information critical to decision making;
- Support the estimation of spatial and temporal gaps, overlaps and coverage of the concerned projects.
- Liaison/Partnership Building:
- Review and validate the consistency and accuracy of MIS data; discuss with project managers, M&E and MIS officer of the concerned projects the findings and propose corrections, adjustments and/or improvements;
- Liaise with other project Information Management Officers, IMO’s from the Humanitarian Clusters as relevant, as well as relevant colleagues in UNDP Yemen’s central units, foremost the Oversight Support Team and Business Solution Unit to ensure harmonized approaches to data management and reporting to the extent possible.
- Core – applicable to all personnel. Select the relevant level for each competency based on the required behaviours.
- People Management – if the personnel has people management responsibilities, insert the standard text with the link to the people management competencies list.
- Cross-functional & Technical : Insert up to 7 competencies from the approved UNDP Cross-functional & Technical competencies list uploaded on the the competency framework site.
LEVEL 2: Scale up solutions and simplifies processes, balances speed and accuracy in doing work
LEVEL 2: Offer new ideas/open to new approaches, demonstrate systemic/integrated thinking
LEVEL 2: Go outside comfort zone, learn from others and support their learning
Adapt with Agility:
LEVEL 2: Adapt processes/approaches to new situations, involve others in change process
Act with Determination:
LEVEL 2: Able to persevere and deal with multiple sources of pressure simultaneously
Engage and Partner:
LEVEL 2: Is facilitator/integrator, bring people together, build/maintain coalitions/partnerships
Enable Diversity and Inclusion:
LEVEL 2: Facilitate conversations to bridge differences, considers in decision making
People Management (Insert below standard sentence if the position has direct reports.)
Cross-Functional & Technical competencies (insert up to 7 competencies)
Integration with the UN
Ability to identity, and integrate capacity and assets of the UN system, and engage in joint work; knowledge of the UN System and ability to apply this knowledge to strategic and/or practical situations.
Collective Intelligenece Design
Ability to bringing together diverse groups of people, data, Information or ideas, and technologies to design services or solutions
Working with Evidence and Data
Ability to inspect, cleanse, transform, and model data with the goal of discovering useful information, informing conclusion and supporting decision-making
Knowledge of M & E applications, methodologies, assessment tools, systems and apply practical experience in planning, monitoring, evaluating and reporting and ability to apply to practical situations
Planning and Organizing
Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies
Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required
Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect
Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions
Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments.
Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards
Please refer to the competency framework site for the entire list of competencies and further explanations.
Required Skills and Experience
– Education: Master dergree in a subject area relevant to IM with minimum (2) years of relevant working experience; or bachelor’s degree with (4) years of experience as indicated in the section below could be accepted in lieu of the Master’s degree.
– Experience: Min. years of relevant work experience
A minimum of 2 years (with Masters) or 4 years (with Bachelor’s) of relevant work experience in design, develop, customize and implement web-based MIS system, and experience in data modeling, visualization and data flow analysis for geo-enabling information management systems
- Excellent knowledge of MS Excel or MS Access (e.g. pivot tables and functions); proven technical expertise for managing data capture and storage, for analysing diverse datasets, and presenting information in understandable tables, charts, graphs and reports;
- knowledge of establishing and managing basic websites (e.g. UNOCHA’s Humanitarian Response platform); proven skills in using
map-making packages, data visualision (e.g. Tableau), web design and software development are an asset.
- Practical experience in social and humanitarian emergency fund methods (outreach, micro/sub-project appraisal, monitoring and supervision, impact & performance evaluation).
- Experience using information systems to manage social and humanitarian emergency project.
- Ability to design, customization, installation, and maintenance of open-source software or database to fit it as project required system.
Desired skills in addition to the competencies covered in the Competencies section
- Experience using project performance and impact indicators.
- Good knowledge of database systems and GIS.
- Experience in developing GIS maps (visuals); command of website design; and uploading of information on various websites.
Fluency in English and Arabic, both written and oral
Important information for US Permanent Residents (‘Green Card’ holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.