World Health Organization (WHO)
WHO in Kigoma
Individual Consultant – Assessment on Knowledge, Attitude and Practices towards COVID-19 vaccination in Kigoma region
( 2205510 )
Contractual Arrangement : External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : 02 MONTHS
Job Posting: Jun 13, 2022, 11:12:16 AM
Purpose of the Consultancy:
Establish the baseline data on Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) towards COVID-19 vaccination to inform design and implementation of risk communication and community engagement interventions in Kigoma Region.
Tanzania is one of the few countries that delayed the rollout of the COVID-19 vaccination. However, by end of July 2021, the Government of Tanzania has launched the national wide COVID-19 vaccination. Tanzania’s COVID-19 vaccination plan at first prioritized frontline healthcare workers, people with co-morbidities, adults aged 50 years and above, and frontline essential workers from ports of entry, military and security forces, and schoolteachers. At the end of August 2021, the government increased the window of the eligible population, allowing every Tanzanian above 18 years to be vaccinated on a voluntary basis. The rollout of the COVID-19 vaccination campaign may not be synonymous with individual uptake of vaccines. Data shows, as of 26th May 2022, overall national vaccine coverage stands at 14.7% of the targeted population.
Kigoma Region Health Authorities and partners have been implementing several community sensitization activities to create COVID-19 vaccine demand and increase uptake among host and refugee communities. Despite these efforts, the regional vaccine coverage currently stands at 9.3% of the total target population (1.7 million) as of 26th May 2022.
To better understand the knowledge gaps, cultural beliefs or behavioural patterns and practices that create barriers to uptake of COVID-19 vaccines in Kigoma Region, a baseline on Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) study is proposed. It is expected that findings from the survey will inform design and implementation of RCCE interventions as well as vaccine service delivery operations in the region .
- Work to be performed
Scope and Methodology
To conduct a baseline study on Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) towards covid-19 vaccination to inform design and implementation of risk communication and community engagement interventions in kigoma region. Both qualitative and quantitative methods will be utilized by the consultant to collect findings on the Knowledge, Attitude and Practices with regards to COVID-19 vaccines.
Assigned Tasks :
- To develop an inception report. This should include a literature review, the methodology of the survey, and a detailed action plan as well as a budget.
- To generate a representative sample for the survey covering host and refugee communities in the Kigoma region
- To develop and test all data collection tools to be used in the survey
- To prepare and share a detailed schedule for the survey that includes organizing the team, training data collectors, data collection, analysis, interpretation, draft, and final report submission
- Undertake field visits in the implementation areas for data collection and observation.
- To analyze data collected and identify knowledge gaps, cultural beliefs or behavioural patterns and practices that create barriers to uptake of COVID-19 vaccines among host and refugee communities in Kigoma Region
- To analyze data collected and identify the drivers of social norms and behaviours linked to COVID-19 vaccination among host and refugee communities in Kigoma Region
- To provide clear and actionable recommendations to the region based on the survey results
- To share draft report and obtain comments/inputs from the Kigoma RHMT and incorporate the same into the final report.
- Prepare final report including recommendations in a standard format agreed with the Kigoma RHMT
- Prepare a PowerPoint presentation that highlights the key findings and main recommendations
- To support the Kigoma RHMT to develop a Demand Creation Plan that aligns with the survey findings
- To submit complete data set file, final study report, study abstract (for submission in a peer reviewed journal) to the Kigoma RHMT and WHO Country Office
Key deliverables from this assignment will include:
- Establish the level of Knowledge, Attitude and Practices (KAP) towards COVID-19 vaccination in Kigoma Region
- Identify knowledge gaps, cultural beliefs or behavioral patterns and practices that create barriers to uptake of COVID-19 vaccines in Kigoma Region
- Identify the drivers of social norms and behaviors linked to COVID-19 vaccination in Kigoma Region
- Specific Requirements
Fluency in English and Swahili (verbal and written)
Read: Expert knowledge
Write: Expert knowledge
Speak: Expert knowledge
Essential: University degree in Social science, Community Health or other health related discipline.
Desirable: A master’s or PhD degree in Public Heath, Epidemiology, Demography, and Social Sciences.
- At least five years related experience on the review of policies, and operational issues of the policies
- Proven experience in conducting KAP surveys on social behavioural change and communication,
- Minimum of five (5) years’ experience in doing reviews of community interventions and social services -should be the required years of experience
SKILLS AND COMPETENCIES
- A minimum of 5 years’ experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection
- A minimum of 3 years’ experience in designing, conducting and analysing KAP surveys
- Excellent analytical and report writing skills
- Good written, oral and interpersonal skills
- Work experience with the UN and/or International Organizations is desirable
WHO Competencies REQUIRED
- Communicating in a credible and effective way
- Fostering integration and teamwork
- Producing Results
- Building and promoting partnerships across the organization and beyond
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences
Other Skills (e.g. IT):
- Good command of Computer Application Systems
- Working knowledge of online data collection applications, statistical analysis packages (EPI Info, SPSS, Stata, etc.).
- PLACE OF ASSIGNMENT
- The consultant will be based in Kigoma region and work closely with the Kigoma Regional Health Management Team; WHO focal point in Kigoma and Country Office and other relevant expert groups.
- Mission to the field: in this case, the consultant will organize by himself or herself all logistics required to the field. WHO in collaboration with the UNHCR will facilitate permits or required government approvals where necessary.
- TIMELINE AND REPORTING
- The expected duration of the assignment for period of 30 working days between 24th June to 24th July 2022. The final report will be submitted by 30th July 2022.
- The total budget for the assignment must not exceed USD 10,000 including costs related to the consultancy, ethical clearance costs, stakeholder meetings/training workshops, communication, and travel as appropriate.
Outputs delivered under this consultancy contract will remain the property of the Ministry of Health, PORALG through the Regional Health Management Team of Kigoma and WHO Tanzania Country Office