The World Bank
World Bank in Chennai, India
HR Assistant – Intake
Job #: req18554
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Human Resources
Term Duration: 2 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 8/12/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit (link)
HR Operations (HRDSO), which is part of HRD Employment Policy, Compensation & Systems, currently operates in Washington, DC and Chennai, India to provide a wide range of HR services to World Bank Group (WBG) staff, consultants, dependents, and retirees. These services include front line HR processing and consultation support on HR policies and procedures via telephone, email, walk-in visits, virtual consultations.
HRDSO provides centralized HR services to staff and retirees across the World Bank Group and is an integral part of the HRD Organization structure. The HRDSO team is the first point of contact for HR Services and strives to continuously improve its processes to drive efficiencies and enhance effectiveness. These services include providing infrastructure for self-services transactions, Tier 1 support and Tier 2 consultation on HR policies and procedures via telephone, email or walk-in visits to the Washington, DC office. The team collaborates closely with other key partners including Payroll, Tax, Pension, Global Mobility, and HR Coe’s, Business Partners and HRD Strategy teams.
HRDSO’s delivery model is enabled through a Modern HR IT strategy and the team has embarked on an ambitious implementation roadmap for providing state of the art technology capabilities to our staff and Managers. The current systems landscape is built around the PeopleSoft ERP including key modules like HCM, Benefits, Global Payroll, Pension, Talent Management (talent), and Performance Management (OPE/PEP). Other systems that we interface with are Learning (OLC), Recruitment (Compass), Self-Service (myths); Business Objects and another 20+ add-on applications.
Note: The candidate must be willing to work any of the three shifts covering 18×5, including night shifts from 4:00 p.m. until 12:30 a.m.
Duties and Accountabilities
- Respond to the moderate and complex queries received from the clients
- Manage fulfillment activities, including incoming and outgoing documentation.
- Provide interpretation of various policies, processes and procedures related to the HR transactions, products and services and ensure the advice is in accordance with Staff Rules
- Thoroughly and accurately document all transactions and document fulfillments in case management or relevant system.
- Conduct research and analysis for case resolution.
- Escalate issues to Tier 2 support or to the Team Lead when unable to resolve personally.
- Educate customers on the availability and usage of self-service options.
- Exhibit extensive knowledge and understanding of relevant operating policies and procedures and guides clients in applying relevant policies, procedures, and technology.
- Manage difficult clients and demonstrate accountability till complete case resolution
- Serve as first point of contact for all transactions
- Ability to understand and explain complex policies and guidelines.
- Receive transactions via: Calls, Staff Records Management, Peoplesoft, Case Management system and SAP
- Liaison with related department (Payroll / Accounting, Travel, etc.) on issues requiring clarification.
- Manage the flow of information; monitor and follow up on outstanding issues and deadlines
- Respond to customer queries via: voice support and email.
- Ensure that all queries are logged and tracked in the case management system.
- Perform back up assignments with other team members during absences
- Support projects within the operations (e.g., identifying past trends in the team in order to recommend improvements, participate in process improvement sessions, etc.).
- Support the creation and maintenance of process documentation and training material
- Provide recommendations for increasing user satisfaction.
- Provide individual counseling to staff members on variety of HR policies
- Self-motivated with positive attitude and approach. Serves as a role model for peers. Professional demeanor at all times
- Support triaging to ensure that all received cases/queries are allocated to the respective teams/members.
- Identify potential escalations promptly and flag them to the relevant members as appropriate
- Bachelors’ degree (in Human Resources, Management, Behavioral Sciences, Business or Other Related fields).
- Minimum 2 years of experience in a customer service or client facing role
- Demonstration of WBG core and HR functional competencies at the respective grade level
- Organizational and time management skills with demonstrated attention to detail and ability to prioritize tasks
- Strong computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft office applications
- Ability to present information clearly and concisely both orally and in writing
- Excellent client service skills
- Effective verbal and written communication skills
- Flexibility to work the hours defined for this role
- Client Orientation – Takes personal responsibility and accountability for timely response to client queries, requests or needs, working to remove obstacles that may impede execution or overall success.
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Actively seeks knowledge needed to complete assignments and shares knowledge with others, communicating and presenting information in a clear and organized manner.
- Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Analyzes facts and data to support sound, logical decisions regarding own and others’ work.
- Tasks and Workflow Management – Has excellent workflow management and task organization skills; able to take responsibility for all aspects of coordination of the workflow of assigned responsibilities.
- HR Clients Service – Has ability to serve as resource expert on full range of HR products and services, advising on most complex issues and identifying and resolving difficult problems and issues that affect clients in a professional manner.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.