IFRC - International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies
IFRC in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Head of Programme Management Unit – AfCDC
Jobnumber : S01863
Contract Type : Employee
Closing date : 08-Aug-2022
Posting Start Date : 25-Jul-2022
Location : ETHIOPIA
Duty Station : Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Duty Station Status : Family Duty Station
Duration : 12
Accompanied Status : Accompanied
Grade : E2
The Head of Programme Management Unit (PMU) will be responsible for leading the design, and coordinating the support provided by the IFRC to the 4 National Society lead applicants, and indirectly to 50 National Societies that will deliver the SLL program at country level. For that purpose, s/he will lead and work closely with a PMU Unit, comprised of different functions: Technical Coordinator, Performance Coordinator, a PMER/IM Coordinator, Risk Manager, Finance Manager, Grants Management among other functions. The Head of PMU will receive support from the country cluster delegations and other regional and global technical teams.
The Head of PMU will maintain oversight on the implementation of the programme, with a focus on setting up the program management structure: stakeholder coordination, internal coordination, PMER frameworks, IM systems, grant management and legal systems. The role holder will also be responsible for ensuring sound risk management and control structure.
The Head of PMU will facilitate operational coordination across the implementation process, ensure timely reporting to AfCDC and prepare internal reports to inform decision and guidance from the Global Steering Committee.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Plan and manage activities to achieve the programme’s objectives are delivered in an effective, compliant and coordinated way, in line with defined procedures and standards.
- Responsible and accountable for the overall day-to day management and coordination of the programme, including budget holder responsibilities, financial planning and management, in accordance with IFRC policies, standards, and practices.
- Ensure compliance with applicable legal frameworks and agreements to minimize risk of harm to the IFRC and its personnel, properties, and resources as well as with procurement procedures and standards.
- Identify risks and challenges to the ongoing programs/operations, raising them with regional and country-level counterparts.
- Select, mentor, and manage program performance coordinators, including ensuring that they have well-defined results-based priority plans and capacity to provide technical support.
- Prepare and deliver internal and external reports (management reports, and annual updates).
- Assume budget holder responsibility of the relevant budgets and ensure appropriate control on income and expenditures versus plans and guarantee sound planning and financial management in accordance with IFRC policy, standards, and practices.
- Contribute to upholding IFRC policies, procedures, standards and management system within the Delegation and support their improvement and review as necessary.
- Promote a culture of performance and continuous learning to improve the accountability and impact for vulnerable people.
- Represent the IFRC in relevant national and international engagements and meetings as required.
Programme Management and Oversight:
- Coordinate the PMU unit and ensure their roles and responsibilities are clarified and tasks updated and delivered against.
- Support the set-up of technical coordination structures between the IFRC and National Society Lead Applicants for the purpose of alignment, implementation and performance tracking, as well as sharing lessons and best practices.
- Support the Program Performance Coordinators, RCCE Senior Officers, NS Lead applicants and sub-recipient NSs in setting up coordination and reporting platforms with all other NSs implementing the program.
Job Duties and Responsibilities (continued)
- Work with the IFRC PMER and IM team, to set up monitoring and digital reporting systems based on the program M&E framework, in order to ease data flow and consolidation of indicators.
- Work closely with Finance to define financial management and follow up tools in support to lead applicants.
- Work with the Heads of Delegations of relevant cluster delegations and Risk Manager to define the program risk management framework, support the development and implementation of risk controls and define roles and responsibilities with the regional Senior Management Team.
- Ensures that the AfCDC RCCE programme is implemented in accordance with the Movement-wide commitments and minimum actions for Community Engagement and Accountability (CEA), and relevant policies and guidelines.
Coordination with Africa CDC and Mastercard Foundation
- Represent the IFRC in technical coordination meeting with AfCDC and Mastercard Foundation for the purpose of the SLL program, with the support of other IFRC technical and Programme Management staff.
- Ensure that IFRC staff across the continent, particularly Program Performance Coordinators and RCCE Senior Officers are in close coordination with AfCDC Regional Centres and country focal points.
- Relay programme related information to all concerned IFRC staff across the region in a timely manner.
- Maintain IFRC Steering Group and National Society lead applicants up to date regarding the programme directives and follow their recommendations in regard to the strategic positioning of IFRC vis a vis the SLL program and AfCDC/MCF.
- Ensure that an effective Secretariat organisational structure is in place for effective support of NSs in these countries.
- Manage all staff under his/her authority under the PMU.
- Ensure the application of all established HR policies and procedures, and that staff hired in country are employed in accordance with local laws and practices.
- Implement the Federation Secretariat’s gender and diversity policies.
- Ensure dissemination of the Code of Conduct for staff to everyone under his/her authority.
Finance and Risk Management
- Ensure sound financial management of the Secretariat’s programming in these countries, that effective budget planning is in place, and that programmes operate within approved budgets.
- Ensure the quality and timeliness of the reporting of the Federation secretariat’s programming.
- Maintain regular management reporting to the Regional Director of Africa.
- Postgraduate (i.e. Master’s or PhD degree or equivalent) in social sciences/development studies, strategic/programme management, management studies or other relevant discipline.
- IMPACT or equivalent knowledge
- 10+ years of work experience in humanitarian operations for a humanitarian aid organisation and or development cooperation organisation, with min. 5 years at senior management level.
- 5 years of work experience including management in a Red Cross/Red Crescent National Society, IFRC or ICRC, or other relevant international organization.
- Experience in coordination in a membership organization and with other humanitarian/development actors.
- Management and supervisory experience in a multicultural environment.
- Experience in the preparation of proposals and narrative and financial reporting for donors.
- Proven record of security regulations implementation and updates.
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Demonstrated leadership and management skills, including ability to lead within a matrix management structure and utilize talents/experience of team members in a productive way.
- Strong management and organizational skills, including ability to delegate authority and responsibility.
- Previous working experience in the Africa Continent.
- High degree of discretion, tact, and sensitivity in dealing with stakeholders at all levels.
- Understanding of and commitment to the IFRC`s mission and values.
- Results-oriented, demand driven, entrepreneurial, ability to lead in
- unprecedented and/or ambiguous situations.
- Demonstrated track record in innovating, contributing to a learning culture, sharing knowledge, and promoting new approaches to engaging partners and donors.
- Good understanding/practice of planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting issues.
- Outstanding networking, representational, communication and negotiation skills.
- Proven good judgment and ability to work with complete integrity and confidentiality.
- High degree of discretion, tact, and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients and stakeholders at all levels.
- Programme and project management skills.
- Ability to work within and lead multi-cultural, multilingual, and multidisciplinary teams.
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Good command of another IFRC official language (French, Spanish or Arabic)
Competencies and Values
- Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
- Core Competencies: Communication; Collaboration and Teamwork; Judgement and Decision Making; National Society and Customer
- Relations; Creativity and Innovation; Building Trust;
- Managerial Competencies: Managing Staff Performance; Managing Staff Development
- Functional Competencies: Strategic Orientation; Building Alliances; Leadership; Empowering Others