ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
ICRC HQ Geneva
Please note that the ICRC is not a UN-system organization.
Reports to (role)
Head of Finance
What we do
The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) works worldwide to provide humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence. We take action in response to emergencies and at the same time promote respect for international humanitarian law. We are an independent and neutral organization, and our mandate stems essentially from the Geneva Conventions of 1949. We work closely with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies and with their International Federation in order to ensure a concerted, rational and rapid humanitarian response to the needs of the victims of armed conflict or any other situation of internal violence. We direct and coordinate the international activities conducted in these situations.
Purpose of the position
The Head of Accounting and Finance Risk Management is responsible for the production of all financial statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) or Swiss generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP). S/he proposes and implements an appropriate accounting architecture, while contributing to the required adaptation of financial information-technology (IT) tools and processes. The candidate participates in managing financial risks, and in projects aimed at developing the ICRC’s financial and management systems. The candidate coordinates the annual closing process for the Finance and Administration Division.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Guarantees and oversees the conduct of the ICRC’s financial accounting, ensuring compliance with procedures and setting deadlines. Issues year-end accounting instructions addressed to all finance and headquarters staff.
- Ensures the production of all consolidated and statutory financial statements and tax returns for different bodies (e.g. United States Internal Revenue Service, Swiss tax authorities). Makes sure that all financial statements are free of audit qualifications and conform with IFRS international accounting standards or Swiss GAAP.
- Monitors changes in IFRS and the taxation of organizations, identifies the impact on internal processes and proposes modifications to procedures and tools.
- Ensures that internal control over financial accounting and the preparation of financial statements are known, documented and implemented. Validates all related procedures, manuals and frameworks.
- Coordinates the audits of financial statements with external auditors and responds to their queries and concerns.
- Participates in developing IT strategy for the Finance and Administration Division. Directs the development of IT tools contributing to financial accounting, ensuring the quality and consistency of accounting information. Sees to it that financial accounting and IT systems correspond to the organization’s needs, liaising with other departments regarding shared software. Participates in projects aimed at developing financial or managerial IT systems, proposing required solutions for financial accounting and related procedures. Organizes training and provides updated documentation reflecting any changes.
- Is accountable for managing, identifying, mitigating and monitoring ICRC wide financial risks, with the collaboration of respective Finance & Administration centres of expertise.
- Performs analysis of financial data produced and interprets results.
- Provides guidance on, supervises and reviews the calculation of key provisions (e.g. restructuring, stocks, publications, operational risks) with the relevant divisions/departments (Human Resources Department, Logistics Division, Public Communication Division, Legal Division and field finance staff).
- Hires, trains and supervises the Financial Accounting Unit’s staff in Geneva and Manila.
People management responsibilities
Scope and Impact
- Is responsible for the preparation of all ICRC financial statements, their unqualified audits by external auditors, and all the organization’s tax returns.
- Directs the organization of and procedures for monthly and annual financial closings and draws up instructions for all finance staff worldwide.
- Is directly exposed to material financial risks (wrong disbursements and asset misappropriation) and high-level accounting risks.
- Geographic remit: global.
- Manages a team of approximately 30 people across 3 sites/2 countries.
- Internally, interacts with Finance and Administration Division staff (headquarters and field) and with all other divisions at headquarters.
- Externally, interacts with external auditors (in particular their senior managers), the ICRC pension fund’s staff and actuary, and with heads of finance/accounting from other organizations (non-governmental/international).
- Accountant diploma or certified accounting expert (Certified Public Accountant/CPA) or equivalent.
- Fluent in verbal and written English and French.
- Computer proficiency and strong understanding of enterprise resource planning (ERP) integrated systems (PeopleSoft, JD Edwards), Hyperion (Essbase).
- Typically 15+ years’ overall professional experience
- Former experience in financial audit, at least up to the audit manager position (more than six years).
- Demonstrated experience in managing financial accounting of a medium to large company/organization based on ERP.
- Proven experience in the implementation of IFRS international accounting standards.
- Sound knowledge of Swiss GAAP is an asset
- Proven experience in auditing and/or presenting the accounts of a non-profit organization.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation of financial IT projects.
- Experience in the management and support of large teams.
- Location: [[Geneva]]
- Type of contract: Open Ended Contract, Required rotation 6 yrs
- Job level: [[D1]]
- Activity rate: 100%
- Estimated start date : [[ASAP]]
- Application deadline: Thursday, 6th Oct 2022
o The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.