The World Bank
World Bank in Washington, United States
Head, Digital Communication
Job #: req20707
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 4 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: International Recruitment
Location: Washington, DC,United States
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 2/3/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity, and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners; invest in groundbreaking projects; and use data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit (link)
External and Corporate Relations Vice-Presidency (ECR)
The mission of External and Corporate Relations (ECR) is to help deliver financial and political support for the World Bank Group and its mission, strengthen the Bank Group’s role as a global thought leader in development by enhancing and safeguarding its reputation, and supporting operational teams to achieve country outcomes. ECR manages corporate communications and global engagement with key stakeholders, including donor governments, civil society, foundations, private sector, international organizations, and the media, as well as employee engagement. ECR also manages strategic communications for the World Bank’s Regions and Global Practices and leads the management of reputation risk.
Roles & Responsibilities:
As Head, Digital Communications, the role will oversee corporate-level external facing digital communications; including but not limited to the World Bank’s corporate social media handles, the website worldbank.org, and a range of strategic outreach products. The successful candidate would be responsible for driving innovation and bringing cutting edge insights and experience to the World Bank’s digital communications. A talented senior level digital strategist, they will leverage market trends to deliver inspiring communication and content for a range of policymaker, private and public sector audiences, as well as interested global public audiences focused on development issues. They will manage critical internal and external stakeholder relationships to deliver outcomes.
The successful candidate will have a proven track record in digital communications and marketing, be able to demonstrate leadership and expertise across digital platforms and provide strategic guidance on digital outreach and campaigns to leadership and across the organization at a senior level. They will have wide experience in mentoring and inspiring teams to deliver data-driven digital strategies and content in a fast-paced work environment, demonstrating an agile and growth-oriented mindset.
The successful candidate will work with the corporate creative, content and media teams as well as with digital/creative colleagues across the Practice Group and Regional ECR teams, demonstrating a track record of developing and getting buy-in for institution-wide strategies and joined-up approaches. They will show demonstrated experience of working in multilingual and multichannel digital environments, leveraging the power and reach of digital platforms to deliver compelling creative content and engage target audiences. They will show strong social media platform expertise and a deep understanding of how to reach different using digital channels. They will use data to constantly learn, update and evolve strategies, and maintain the highest editorial standards and quality.
With 189 member countries, the World Bank is the largest multilateral funder of development and an authority on development research and data. The Head of Digital Communications will help reach and engage a diverse range of audiences and play a key role in maintaining and building a supportive environment for our work.
The candidate will perform the following duties:
- Refine and execute a global digital strategy for the World Bank, that leverages the website, online outreach products, and all corporate global social media channels in English, French, Spanish and Arabic.
- Ensure a regular flow of consented, on-brand content working closely across the broader WB communications teams in Practice Groups and Regions, in a way that increases our digital footprint and engagement with target audiences
- Leverage a deep knowledge of the digital space to provide oversight and guidance across World Bank’s corporate digital footprint and online presence, ensuring that our external platforms and content reflect organizational needs and priorities and support the engagement of our target audiences and key stakeholders
- Work across the team to successfully execute campaigns around key report launches, Spring and Annual Meetings, and multimedia storytelling efforts, ensuring coherent user journeys and audience segmentation for organic and paid digital activities.
- Define and communicate standards and processes to support the implementation of platform, audience and campaign-specific strategies
- Reinforce the strength of the World Bank’s brand, reflecting its thought leadership and impact, in a distinct and authentic manner through its digital presence
- Monitor and help manage reputational risk online
- Work with internal stakeholders outside of the External and Corporate Relations team to invest in and build long-term capabilities for WB digital properties, especially worldbank.org and social media channels, to increase innovation and audience engagement
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships and communication channels with external stakeholders, including UN and multilateral agencies, digital platform partners, and creative agencies
- Source and utilize external creative talent as needed and manage that talent to deliver against brief, including consultants and vendors
- Have demonstrated Development sector experience and a track record of innovation, and of leading digital teams within a matrixed and multicultural environment
- Undertake annual planning for the digital team, outlining milestones and strategic direction
The successful candidate will have the ability to inspire colleagues, to innovate and take appropriate risks. You will be a strategic thinker, with strong day-to-day project management skills and a fine attention to detail.
In addition, you will have:
- A Master’s degree in Communications, Branding, Digital Media or related field with at least 8 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Successful team management experience in a matrixed multicultural environment
- Experience in digital strategy, content creation for social media, digital marketing and user experience; with proven success on global campaigns working in collaboration with social media platforms
- Experience working on digital communications and content for public and private sector audiences, especially in the development or humanitarian sector
- Strong experience in identifying and mitigating reputational risk
- Fluency in social media platforms and native analytics, with a good breadth of contacts at the platforms
- Solid understanding of audience data and how to effectively leverage this to create impactful social media strategies
- Knowledge of content management systems and web development work
- Solid understanding of digital tools including keyword and SEO optimization, audience targeting tools.
- Strong communication and influencing skills with a proven track record of developing positive, collaborative relationships with stakeholders with varying backgrounds and expertise.
- Fluency in oral and written in English. Knowledge of Arabic, French or Spanish a plus.
WBG Managerial Competencies
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.