IDB - Inter-American Development Bank
Gender and Diversity Specialist, Headquarters – Washington DC, USA
The IDB Group is a community of diverse, versatile, and passionate people who come together on a journey to improve lives in Latin America and the Caribbean. Our people find purpose and do what they love in an inclusive, collaborative, agile, and rewarding environment.
About this position
We are currently looking for a Gender and Diversity Specialist to join our Gender and Diversity (GDI) Division. You will contribute to our operational and economic and sector work program in Latin America and the Caribbean.
Our Social Sector (SCL) is a multidisciplinary team convinced that investing in people is the way to improve lives and overcome the development challenges in Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC). Jointly with the countries in the region, SCL formulates public policy solutions to reduce poverty and improve the delivery of education, work, social protection, and health services. Our objective is to advance a more productive region, with equal opportunities for men and women, and greater inclusion of the most vulnerable groups.
The team: The Gender and Diversity Division (GDI) promotes gender equality, inclusion, and economic opportunities for women and individuals for diverse population groups (indigenous peoples, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants and LGBTQ+ persons) in LAC. It prepares and supervises investment operations, technical assistance, analytical work, and training.
What you’ll do:
- Lead or participate in the origination, design, and preparation of Bank operations.
- Lead or assist in the supervision of the execution and the monitoring and evaluation of operations for which the IDB has approved financing.
- Lead or participate in cutting-edge research on gender and diversity topics.
- Support Bank teams in the mainstreaming of gender and diversity in operational, analytical, and strategic activities (including country strategies, country development challenges, loans, policy dialogues, events, and knowledge initiatives).
- Collaborate with activities of IDB Invest and IDB Lab.
- Engage in policy dialogue with Government authorities and development partners based on your proven knowledge of the topics, development challenges of client countries, and IDB policies, strategies, and guidelines.
- Share and disseminate economic/sector knowledge and learning tools to enhance the relevance of the IDB to borrowing countries and the region.
- Build networks and actively engage with gender and diversity specialists in other multilateral and bilateral institutions, academic institutions, think-tanks, NGOs and professional bodies to promote cooperative research initiatives.
What you’ll need
- Education: You hold a master’s degree in applied economics, public policy, social sciences, or related discipline Ph.D. is preferred.
- Experience: You have at least 6 years of relevant and substantive development policy and operational experience that includes experience working on diversity issues for at least one of the four population groups of focus of the IDB. At least 5 years of experience in the collection and analysis of microdata is required.
- Languages: You are proficient in English, aSpanish, and at least one other Bank language (Portuguese or French).
Link to Technical Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)
Link to Core Competencies (← please Ctrl + Click)
- Learn continuously
- Collaborate and share knowledge
- Focus on clients
- Communicate and influence
- Innovate and try new things
- Citizenship: You are a citizen of one of our 48-member countries. We may offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your eligible dependents.
- Consanguinity: You have no family members (up to the fourth degree of consanguinity and second degree of affinity, including spouse) working at the IDB, IDB Invest, or IDB Lab.
- As an international specialist, the selected candidate will be expected to rotate between country assignments every 3 to 5 years.
- COVID-19 considerations: the health and safety of our employees are our number one priority. As a condition of employment, IDB/IDB Invest requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Type of contract and duration
- International or national staff contract, 36 months initially, renewable upon mutual agreement.
What we offer
The IDB group provides benefits that respond to the different needs and moments of an employee’s life. These benefits include:
- A competitive compensation package
- Leaves and vacations: 24 days of paid time off + 8 personal days + sick leave + gender- neutral parental leave
- Health Insurance: IDB Group provides employees and eligible dependents with a robust medical benefits program which covers medical, dental, vision, preventive care, and prescription drugs.
- Pension plan: pre-defined pension plan that provides financial security and support employees in planning for their future.
- We offer assistance with relocation and visa applications for you and your family, when it applies
- Hybrid and flexible work schedules
- Health and wellbeing: Access to our Health Services Center which provides preventive care and health education for employees.
- Development support: We offer tools to boost your professional profile such as mentoring, 1:1 professional counseling, training and learning opportunities, language classes, mobility options, among others.
- Other perks: Lactation Room, Daycare Center, Gym, Bike Racks, Parking, Spouse Career Program, and others.
- Development support: We offer learning opportunities to boost your professional profile such as seminars, 1:1 professional counseling, and much more.
At the IDB Group we work so everyone brings their best and authentic selves to work, willing to try new approaches without fear, and where they are accountable and rewarded for their actions.
Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging (DEIB) are at the center of our organization. We celebrate all dimensions of diversity and encourage women, LGBTQ+ people, persons with disabilities, Afro-descendants, and Indigenous people to apply.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job interview process. If you are a qualified candidate with a disability, please e-mail us at [email protected] to request reasonable accommodation to complete this application.
Our Human Resources Team reviews carefully every application.
About the IDB Group
The IDB Group, composed of the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), IDB Invest, and the IDB Lab offers flexible financing solutions to its member countries to finance economic and social development through lending and grants to public and private entities in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The Inter-American Development Bank is devoted to improving lives. Established in 1959, the IDB is a leading source of long-term financing for economic, social and institutional development in Latin America and the Caribbean. The IDB also conducts cutting-edge research and provides policy advice, technical assistance and training to public and private sector clients throughout the region.
- External Contact Email: [email protected]
- Job Field: Sector