JOB TITLE: Food Technologist (National Capacity Strengthening) – NOC
Contract Type: National Officer – NOC
Contract duration: 12 months (renewable)
Duty Station (City, Country): WFP Regional Bureau for Western Africa, Dakar, Senegal
This vacancy announcement is not related to any current open position. It is a list of qualified candidates who wish to express their interest in future opportunities within WFP. All applications received will be reviewed and will be subject to a selection process to assess the relevant experience and qualifications of the candidates. Candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted at a later date to confirm their interest and availability.
Please visit the following website for detailed information on WFP operations.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability, and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Under the supervision of the Head of Nutrition Unit and in close collaboration with FSQA (Food Safety Quality Assurance) unit, lead the implementation of holistic food fortification programmes, with a focus on: 1) national capacity development especially of government counterparts and private sector on aspects related to food fortification – staple foods, complementary foods and similar-, applying a value chain, and food systems strengthening approach (food production, fortification, processing techniques, policies, legislation, national norms and national regulatory mechanisms);
2) appropriate use of fortified commodities in assistance programmes (national, institutional, other);
3) support market-based approaches for nutrition within a Country Office (CO) or support regional and/or global initiatives.
Job holders work closely with and in the complementarity of FSQA colleagues, and are responsible for partnering with the key stakeholders in and outside of the organisation to ensure an integrated food-systems strengthening approach to improved food security and nutrition for all.
At this position, you will:
- Provide technical advice to RBs or COs on food fortification programmes and policy issues including assessment and analysis, the choice of objectives, activities, etc. in line with WFP FSQ and nutrition standards and processes.
- Closely work with staff in the FSQA unit, and other divisions to ensure effective design and delivery of fortification programming in line with FSQ and nutrition corporate guidelines and strategies.
- Support the strengthening of national food fortification initiatives, including the development of national government policies, nutrition strategies, action plans, protocols and guidelines in line with, SUN Movement and international guidance, current evidence and WFP FSQ and nutrition policies and strategies, applying a food system strengthening approach.
- Stay informed on emerging developments and cutting-edge research in the area of food fortification, including on related global, regional and national governance decisions and initiatives to leverage the opportunities to incorporate industry best practices and national capacity strengthening approaches.
- Provide support for operational partnerships, including inter-agency collaboration, to ensure an integrated approach towards nutrition-friendly food systems strengthening in both emergency and non-emergency settings.
- Represent WFP at regional, national and international meetings to contribute to technical discussions, exchange experiences, advocate for food fortification and market-based interventions and identify areas of potential collaboration.
- Prepare accurate and timely reporting and learning, contributing to a knowledge base that informs decision making of WFP and other stakeholders, staff, partners, and national governments on all aspects related to food fortification programmes.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation of WFP activities, provide technical analysis, and interpretation.
- Lead and motivate a small team of staff, providing coaching, training and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance. Guide and supervise more junior staff, acting as a point of referral and supporting them.
- Contribute to emergency preparedness actions, providing technical recommendations on contingency planning, risk analysis and early warning related to nutrition risks.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced university degree in Food Technology, Health Sciences, Food Control, Nutrition or other related fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Has experience managing food fortification programs (staple foods, complementary foods) (food processing, regulatory frameworks, food safety and quality)
- Has worked with national, civil society and private sector counterparts
- Has experience building strong external relationships
- Has experience working on developing food assistance programmes (humanitarian programmes, national programmes, market-based approaches)
- International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: French, Arabic, Chinese.
WHY WORK WITH US?
This position is based in the Regional Bureau for Western Africa, Dakar, Senegal. It supports 19 country offices (CO) in their programme delivery and advocates for the integration of WFP corporate priorities (People at the centre, Organizational effectiveness, Triple Nexus, and Digital transformation) into national policies and programmes.
The Regional Bureau core functions are to provide strategic guidance, technical support, and operational oversight. By providing guidance and policy support to COs, the Regional Bureau ensures clear communication at the management level between HQ, RB and COs, in line with the realignment of HQ-RB responsibilities, including advisory support to improve the quality of programme implementation, positioning and fundraising efforts. Significant work of the Regional Bureau is around technical support provided to COs, notably to ensure the quality of project design, to facilitate the sharing of technical resources and enhance CO’s staff capacity. WFP Regional Bureau also advocates for assessing and recommending appropriate actions to strengthen the capacities of Governments and National actors involved in achieving SDG2, foster the linkages between national academics, research entities and WFP operations. The Regional Bureau works to strengthen the emergency preparedness and response capacities across the region to strategically position WFP as the leading organization responding to emergencies.
This is an opportunity for an exciting and challenging position in a multi-cultural and interdisciplinary team, based in a unique location, on a topic with high relevance. In addition, we offer: â-¶ï¸ Meaningful and impactful careers: Our day to day work makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve
â-¶ï¸ Continuous learning and training: We provide learning tools for our staff to continually develop their careers
â-¶ï¸ Multicultural and stimulating work environment: We encourage gender and cultural diversity to make our teams stronger
Join us to make a difference, watch this video to know more about us!!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 14 SEPTEMBER 2021
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on race, sex, colour, ethnic group, age, sexual orientation, other affiliation, or HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Grade NO-C
- Office WFP Dakar, Senegal