JOB TITLE: Food Technologist (Food Quality and Safety Assurance) – NOC
Contract Type: National Officer – NOC
Contract duration: 12 months (renewable)
Duty Station (City, Country): WFP Regional Bureau for Western Africa, Dakar, Senegal
This vacancy announcement is not related to any current open position. It is a list of qualified candidates who wish to express their interest in future opportunities within WFP. All applications received will be reviewed and will be subject to a selection process to assess the relevant experience and qualifications of the candidates. Candidates who meet the selection criteria will be contacted at a later date to confirm their interest and availability.
Please visit the following website for detailed information on WFP operations.
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the 2020 Nobel Peace Prize Laureate. We are the world’s largest humanitarian organization, saving lives in emergencies and using food assistance to build a pathway to peace, stability, and prosperity for people recovering from conflict, disasters, and the impact of climate change.
PURPOSE OF THE ASSIGNMENT
Under the supervision and direct reporting line to the Regional Advisor of Food Safety and Quality Assurance (FSQA) and in close collaboration with the Regional Nutrition unit, the candidate will lead the implementation of food safety and quality management and food product optimisation initiatives and support regional and global initiatives. Job holders are responsible for partnering with the key supply chain functions to ensure an integrated supply chain approach to meeting the food assistance needs of beneficiaries.
The role incumbent will hold the following responsibilities:
- Establish and implement protocols and tools relating to food technology issues, such as food safety and quality and food product optimisation, ensuring alignment with WFP procurement and supply chain strategy, policies, and plans.
- Review and provide advice on the procedures for mitigating and documenting food quality and safety risks e.g. during food transit and storage in warehouses.
- Establish and implement protocols and tools in Country Offices that enable rapid response to situations with food safety concerns.
- Provide technical guidance and input to Country Offices in the design and implementation of medium-scale and/or relatively straightforward food assistance programmes, ensuring compliance with WFP food safety regulations.
- Lead and motivate a small team of staff, providing coaching, training and guidance as required to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
- Develop and deliver training modules to WFP staff and external stakeholders on the key areas of food technology, such as quality control, food processing, loss prevention and mitigation, to build local capacity in the processing and/or production of specialized nutritious foods.
- Prepare accurate and timely reports that inform food risk assessment and management and contribute to a WFP wide view of food technology activities, enabling informed decision making and consistency of information presented to stakeholders.
- Build relationships and collaborate with counterparts in key supply chain functions to establish standard operating procedures, protocols and tools that maintain, monitor, and verify food safety and quality along the WFP supply chain.
- Build productive relationships and partnerships with counterparts in UN agencies, NGOs, governments, and the private sector to enhance WFP capacity to respond effectively to levels of undernutrition.
- Keep current on emerging developments and cutting-edge research in the areas of food safety and quality and/or food product optimization to leverage the opportunities to incorporate industry best practices.
- Act in an assigned emergency response capacity as required to meet emergency food assistance needs.
- Other as required.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced university degree in Food Technology, Health Sciences, Food Control, Nutrition or other related fields, or First University degree with additional years of related work experience and/or training/courses.
- Has worked in emergency response capacity.
- Has worked with counterparts in supply chain function.
- Has experience monitoring and assessing food safety and quality issues.
- Has experience building strong external relationships.
- Has experience working on developing food assistance programmes.
- International Professional: Fluency (level C) in English language. Intermediate knowledge (level B) of a second official UN language: French, Arabic, Chinese.
WHY WORK WITH US?
This position is based in the Regional Bureau for Western Africa, Dakar, Senegal. It supports 19 country offices (CO) in their programme delivery and advocates for the integration of WFP corporate priorities (People at the centre, Organizational effectiveness, Triple Nexus, and Digital transformation) into national policies and programmes.
The Regional Bureau core functions are to provide strategic guidance, technical support, and operational oversight. By providing guidance and policy support to COs, the Regional Bureau ensures clear communication at the management level between HQ, RB and COs, in line with the realignment of HQ-RB responsibilities, including advisory support to improve the quality of programme implementation, positioning and fundraising efforts. Significant work of the Regional Bureau is around technical support provided to COs, notably to ensure the quality of project design, to facilitate the sharing of technical resources and enhance CO’s staff capacity. WFP Regional Bureau also advocates for assessing and recommending appropriate actions to strengthen the capacities of Governments and National actors involved in achieving SDG2, foster the linkages between national academics, research entities and WFP operations. The Regional Bureau works to strengthen the emergency preparedness and response capacities across the region to strategically position WFP as the leading organization responding to emergencies.
This is an opportunity for an exciting and challenging position in a multi-cultural and interdisciplinary team, based in a unique location, on a topic with high relevance. In addition, we offer: â-¶ï¸ Meaningful and impactful careers: Our day to day work makes a difference in the lives of the people we serve
â-¶ï¸ Continuous learning and training: We provide learning tools for our staff to continually develop their careers
â-¶ï¸ Multicultural and stimulating work environment: We encourage gender and cultural diversity to make our teams stronger
Join us to make a difference, watch this video to know more about us!!
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 10 SEPTEMBER 2021
Qualified female applicants are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero-tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate based on race, sex, colour, ethnic group, age, sexual orientation, other affiliation, or HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Grade NO-C
- Office WFP Dakar, Senegal