International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
The Monetary and Capital Markets Department (MCM) is searching for a Financial Sector Expert/Senior Financial Sector Expert to work in its Financial Supervision and Regulation Division (FR). FR is seeking to fill a position related to banking supervision and regulation. The vacancy is for a three year term appointment, in accordance with the Fund’s categories of employment.
The main responsibilities of FR division are to:
- Develop and disseminate policy positions on prudential and conduct supervision and regulation of banks, insurers, and other nonbank financial intermediaries, including in the areas of fintech, cybersecurity, and climate-related risks;
- Manage the Fund’s participation in the development of policies related to regulatory standards and codes; work with the relevant standard setters on assessment methodologies; manage MCM’s delivery of standards assessments in the division’s areas of competency, through direct delivery, maintenance of a roster of trained assessors, and quality control;
- Provide policy and technical advice on financial supervision and regulation, including through participation in Area Department country teams and ad hoc support to such teams;
- Provide technical assistance and capacity building on financial supervision and regulation, including by backstopping external experts;
- Act as central point of contact for the Department’s engagement with the relevant standard setting bodies (e.g., BCBS, IAIS, IOSCO, IFSB); and
- Liaise with standard setting bodies, FSB committees and groups, and other international organizations on regulatory and supervisory policy.
The selected candidate will be responsible for working in a team environment on the development, monitoring, and implementation of financial sector policies in the areas of financial supervision and regulation. S/he will be engaged in backstopping the delivery of technical assistance and in participating in the Financial Sector Assessment Program (FSAP), technical assistance missions, Article IV surveillance, as well as special projects in the areas of supervision and regulation. The Expert will be part of a team of experienced financial sector experts in the FR Division, reporting to the Division Chief.
The candidate should have the following qualifications:
- An advanced academic degree in business administration, economics, finance, law, or related fields.
- At least 10 years of experience working on financial supervision or regulation issues in a supervisory agency;
- Broad knowledge of and experience in banking supervision and regulation;
- An in-depth understanding of international regulatory and supervisory initiatives and experience in their tailored implementation at the national level;
- Exposure to both on-site and off-site supervision functions and a sound understanding of recent practices and methodologies in risk identification, assessment, and management;
- First-hand exposure to analyzing financial institutions’ soundness and integrating data analysis and quantitative methods into supervisory processes;
- Be able to demonstrate creativity, initiative, and sound judgment; and have excellent negotiating skills along with strong oral and written communication;
- Experience with major outputs of the IMF in a national context, such as the FSAP, Article IV surveillance, and capacity development, as well as emerging best practices to address climate-related financial risks and enhance governance of financial institutions would be an advantage.
Contractual employees are ineligible to apply for staff positions that are advertised internally only. This is in alignment with the Fund’s Categories of Employment (CoE) framework EBAP/14/89
MCMFR Monetary and Capital Markets Dept. Financial Supervision & Regulation
A11, A12, A13, A14
The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including age, creed, culture, disability, educational background, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, nationality, race, religion and beliefs, and sexual orientation.