IOM - International Organization for Migration
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
Vacancy/Reference Number: VNSA2023/03
Position Title: Finance Assistant
Position Grade: G4 (UN Salary Scale for General Staff)
Duty Station: CO Pretoria, South Africa
Appointment Type: One Year Fixed Term Contract with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 22 February 2023
Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in South Africa, the administrative and function supervision of Resources Management Officer (RMO) and direct supervision of the Senior Finance Assistant, the incumbent will be responsible for the processing of day-to-day financial transactions of the mission in compliance of the IOM and the donors’ financial rules and regulations are applied consistently.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Extract and input data from various sources in financial or accounting systems;
- Respond to accounting, budget or financial queries regarding data from staff in the unit and elsewhere;
- Assist in the preparation of the payroll by executing validity checks on monthly payroll results;
- Review all types of payments starting from purchase to payment requests verifying that they are duly authorized, and all the supporting documents are attached therewith;
- Create new Vendor Accounts in PRISM;
- Verify vendor requests for accuracy and conformance with IOM finance policies and instructions;
- Perform claim verifications against documentation to ensure that purchases/services are properly authorized and that the goods have been received or services rendered;
- Prepare necessary receipt and journal vouchers;
- Assist in the preparation of budget, accounting, financial, statistical reports and other reports as required;
- Provide assistance to all staff services such as travel, expense claims, document retrieval, etc.;
- Ensure proper and systematic filling of all posted payments and other accounting documents according to the established standards;
- Responsible for the Petty Cash of the office; and,
- Perform other related duties as required
Required Qualifications and Experience
- High School diploma with four years of relevant experience; or,
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finances, or related fields with two years of relevant professional experience.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage;
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- High level of computer literacy and knowledge of SAP is highly desirable.
- Ability to meet deadlines under pressure and prepare clear, concise reports.
- Good communication, organizational and interpersonal relationship skills.
- Hard working, good team player and ability to monitor and follow up on pending matters
Required Fluency in English
Working knowledge of local languages is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internals of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency requirements, and security clearances.
IOM does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training or other fee). IOM does not request any information related to bank accounts.