Secretariat of the Pacific Community (SPC)
The Pacific Community (SPC) is the principal scientific and technical organisation in the Pacific region, supporting development since 1947. We are an international development organisation owned and governed by our 27 country and territory members. In pursuit of sustainable development to benefit Pacific people, our organisation works across more than 25 sectors. We are known for our knowledge and innovation in such areas as fisheries science, public health surveillance, geoscience, and conservation of plant genetic resources for food and agriculture.
The Human Rights and Social Development Division has a vision for just, equitable and resilient Pacific societies and it aims to achieve this by advancing human rights, equality and social inclusion for all Pacific people, grounded in cultural values and principles.The work of this Division includes work previously undertaken by the Regional Rights Resource Team (RRRT) in the area of human rights and the Social Development Programme (SDP) in the areas of gender equality and social inclusion, culture and youth development.
In line with its vision, the work of the Division will encompass the following focal areas:
- Objective 1: Governance for human rights and social development: Strengthen inclusive, transparent and active governance for human rights and social development.
- Objective 2: Gender equality and social inclusion: Mobilise, empower, and build conditions for gender equality, equity and social inclusion in society and development.
- Objective 3: Culture: Promote, preserve and protect positive expressions of culture.
- Objective 4: Social innovation and learning: Enhance knowledge, learning and innovative solutions to accelerate impact on human development priorities.
The Finance and Administration Assistant will provide finance, accounting, and administration support to HRSD projects in areas such as preparing regular financial reports in accordance with the donor and corporate requirements; assisting in budget and audit preparations; assist with events and logistics for all activities; and provide overall Administration and accounting support to the division. The key responsibilities of the role include: Project Finance and Administration
- Assists in compiling donor reports
- Assists in compiling activity plan budgets, including national and regional workshop budgets
- Attends to financial queries raised by project team, donors, SPC corporate
Workshop, Travel, Logistics and Administration Support
- Assist with communications such as Government Protocol letters and Administrative Notes as and when required
- Organize travel and events ensuring adherence to SPC procedures for procurement and travel
- Ensures timely disbursal of per diems and support to workshop participants as per policy in an accountable and transparent manner, followed by proper acquittal submission, keeping security in mind and at all times
Country Project Support
- Verify and reconcile Country Focal Officer (CFO) activity advance acquittals as per reporting templates.
- Assist CFOs in compiling activity budgets.
- Assist CFOs from in-country or distantly in terms of in-country activity logistics
For a more detailed account of the key responsibilities, please refer to the online job description.
Key selection criteria
- A degree in finance, administration, accounting, or equivalent work experience.
Knowledge and experience
- At least 3 years’ experience and demonstrated competence in same field. This includes project accounting and expertise in working with different donors.
- Sound collaboration and team working skills
- Strong analytical ability and demonstrated understanding of complex accounting or finance issues in a development context.
- Good working knowledge of project financial reporting
- Analytical ability and advanced computer literacy, especially with Microsoft office applications
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with people from different cultural backgrounds
- Ability to work under pressure with a team-oriented approach to meet deadlines and achieve team goals
- Excellent English communication skills (oral and written)
Interpersonal skills and cultural awareness
- Ability to work in a multicultural, inclusive and equitable environment
Salary, terms and conditions
Contract Duration – Until 31 December 2024 – subject to renewal depending on funding and performance
Remuneration – The Finance and Administration Assistant is a Band 7 position in SPC’s 2022 salary scale, with a commencing taxable salary range of 2,232-2,790 per month, plus local staff benefits. An offer of appointment for an initial contract will normally be made in the lower half of this range, with due consideration given to experience and qualifications. Progression within the salary scale will be based on annual performance reviews.
Recruitment principles – SPC’s recruitment is based on merit and fairness, and candidates are competing in a selection process that is fair, transparent and non-discriminatory. SPC is an equal-opportunity employer, and is committed to cultural and gender diversity, including bilingualism, and will seek to attract and appoint candidates who respect these values. Due attention is given to gender equity and the maintenance of strong representation from Pacific Island professionals. If two interviewed candidates are ranked equal by the selection panel, preference will be given to the Pacific Islander.
Closing Date – 19 December 2022 at 11:59pm (Fiji time)
Job Reference: JR000093
Applicants must apply online at (link)
Hard copies of applications will not be accepted.
For your application to be considered, you must provide us with:
- an updated resume with contact details for three professional referees
- a cover letter detailing your skills, experience and interest in this position
- responses to all screening questions
Your application will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed at shortlisting stage if all the above documents are not provided. Applicants should not attach copies of qualifications or letters of reference. Please ensure your documents are in Microsoft Word or Adobe PDF format.
Only Fijian citizens are eligible to apply for this role.
SPC does not charge a fee to consider your application and will never ask for your banking or financial information during the recruitment process.
Screening Questions (maximum of 2,000 characters per question):
- Describe an example of when you were responsible for organising a large event. How did you organise and schedule the tasks? Was the event successful? If so, how did you know? Is there anything that you would have done differently?
- Please describe your background in financial administration (including reporting) and procurement (including facilitation of procurement processes) for donor-funded projects.
- Please describe your experience with preparing budgets for workshops or events?
Type: Contract – Local
Category: Administration & Office Support
Reference ID: JR000093
Date Posted: 05/12/2022