Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
UNHCR Sub-Office Cox's Bazar (BGDCO)
Hardship Level (not applicable for home-based): D
Family Type (not applicable for home-based): Family
Staff Member / Affiliate Type: UNOPS IICA4
Target Start Date: 2023-01-02-08:00
Job Posting End Date: February 4, 2023
Terms of Reference
To support the Protection mandate of UNHCR, the Office keeps physical files containing data, documents, correspondences, and records of case management activities of its persons of concern, which supplements the electronic data recorded in the proGres database. For the UNHCR Sub-Office of Cox’s Bazar, the Registration and Identity Management Unit manages the physical filing system and is responsible for creating files, updating them with new records, and maintaining a physical filing registry. The Unit also manages requests for physical files from users, retrieve them from the registry, ensure that users return them within the duration allocated, keep a record of the location and possession of all files and archive closed files.
The incumbent, under the direction of the Registration and Identity Management Officer, and overall supervision of the Senior Registration and Identity Management Officer will be responsible for compiling, arranging, and systematically filing the physical files created from records, documents, correspondences, interviews notes, decisions of officers among others created during registration, resettlement and other protection case management processes; according to UNHCR standards ensuring privacy, confidentiality, and ease of retrieval.
Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, s/he will work independently on routine tasks and will request and follow the instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues. Contacts are mainly with colleagues in the Cox’s Bazar Sub-Office and Bhasan Char. External contacts are limited to answering queries from other UNHCR offices and seeking information on the individual case from other UNHCR offices under the direction of the Registration and Identity Management Officer. The incumbent will be based in Cox’s Bazar office and may take field missions in the camps in Cox’s Bazar and Bhasan Char when required. 2. Purpose and Scope of Assignment (Concise and detailed description of activities, tasks, and responsibilities to be undertaken, including expected travel, if applicable)
- Systematic filing of all physical records generated during registration and protection processes arranging them in the physical filing registry by maintaining a labeling and arrangement system that ensures easy retrieval,
- Preparing barcode chips for all users and implementing a system for requesting and retrieving files,
- Maintain access permissions to the physical files, the registry, and electronic filing systems,
- Support and train users,
- Monitor compliance with file usage procedures and take necessary actions to correct errors,
- Produce accurate inventories of physical records transferred to archives or to users,
- Maintain electronic and physical repositories in good order and use the space efficiently,
- Take the necessary actions to ensure the integrity and security of files in the repositories,
- Digitize records and archives for preservation and dissemination when required,
- Ensure that the File tracking system is properly used by all staff in the office and that file movement within the office and between users is properly recorded in the system, b. Work Experience (List the number of years and area of required work experience. Clearly distinguish between required experience and experience which could be an asset.)
- Minimum 4 years of previous job experience relevant to the function,u2002
- Experience working with UNHCR in Cox’s Bazar in filing, registration or protection, or related functions will be highly considered.
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge, particularly in using data management applications such as MS Excel.
- Fluency in English,
Standard Job Description: Filing Assistant
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
The Filing Assistant is normally supervised by a more senior staff within the same Unit or in Protection or Operations Data Management Sections.
Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, he/she will work independently on routine tasks, and will request and follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues. Contacts are mainly with the colleagues in the same duty station. External contacts are limited to answering queries from other UNHCR offices and seeking information on individual case from other UNHCR offices.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR’s core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
- Track incoming/outgoing files in the system and keep in the filing room when not in use by staff, in line with SOPs.
- File correspondence/documents in the physical file and enter data in the database.
- Ensure that an orderly and systematic filing system is maintained in the filing room (active and closed) for efficient and timely retrieval of files.
- Ensure that the File tracking system is properly used by all staff in the office and that file movement within the office and between users is properly recorded in the system.
- Ensure that the data which are mainly related to asylum seekers, refugees and persons of concern to UNHCR are correctly entered into the computer database and filed in the physical individual file.
- Receive, record and forward incoming correspondence and manage its proper distribution to the responsible officers.
- Draft routine correspondence and respond to queries relating to area of responsibility.
- May be required to assist the protection and refugee status determination unit with maintaining and updating the interview schedule as well as communicating with applicant regarding their scheduled appointment.
- Ensure the general maintenance and smooth running of the filing room, i.e. physical arrangement, cleanliness and security.
- May be required to provide clerical and administrative support by stocking and supplying stationery, receive and dispatch of external and internal office pouches and handle all official documentation.
- Make recommendations relating to the organization of the filing system.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For G4 – 1 year relevant experience with High School Diploma; or Bachelor or equivalent or higher
Field(s) of Education
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
Completion of UNHCR learning programmes or specific training relevant to functions of the position would be an asset.
(Functional Skills marked with an asterisk* are essential)
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
All UNHCR workforce members must individually and collectively, contribute towards a working environment where each person feels safe, and empowered to perform their duties. This includes by demonstrating no tolerance for sexual exploitation and abuse, harassment including sexual harassment, sexism, gender inequality, discrimination and abuse of power.
As individuals and as managers, all must be proactive in preventing and responding to inappropriate conduct, support ongoing dialogue on these matters and speaking up and seeking guidance and support from relevant UNHCR resources when these issues arise.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
Required Languages: ,
Additional Qualifications: Skills
HCR Learning Program – UNHCR
Other information: This position doesn’t require a functional clearance