The World Bank
World Bank in Sofia, Bulgaria
ET Consultant (Procurement Specialist)
Job #: req18504
Organization: World Bank
Term Duration: 1 year 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Required Language(s): English
Preferred Language(s): Closing Date: 8/22/2022 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Do you want to build a career that is truly worthwhile? Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 130 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, visit (link)
Unit Overview: The Corporate Procurement Unit is responsible for the procurement of goods, works and services (including consulting services) to support the WBG’s 130+ offices around the world. Corporate Procurement manages an annual spend around USD 2B with around 25,000 vendors. The team has staff located in Washington, DC, Chennai, India and Sofia, Bulgaria. Corporate Procurement utilizes category management to achieve better outcomes, improved quality, greater savings, efficient use of resources, a better understanding of the market, and an increased focus on collaboration and innovation. Corporate Procurement focuses on three key principles: Commerciality, Risk Management, and Sustainability. Categories of spend include: i) Financial Services; ii) Human Resources and Professional Services; iii) Corporate Services and Real Estate; and iv) Information Technology. To learn more about Corporate Procurement, visit: CP website.
Roles and Responsibilities: The Procurement Specialist (Category Manager) position is located at the Corporate Procurement Division (SPACP) in Sofia, Bulgaria. This position reports to the Senior Procurement Specialist, who in turn reports to Chief of Corporate Procurement.
Responsibilities include being a valued business partner to clients, understanding business needs, developing annual procurement plans, conducting internal (e.g., data-driven; category spend, client strategies, stakeholder analysis, and SWOT), and external analysis (e.g., market research & forecast, market share & trends, benchmarks, cost drivers), advising clients on market trends, and influencing change with the intent to maximize value for money while managing risks and maximizing impact on sustainability.
The position requires high level skills and relevant work experience in the field of procurement, contracting and category management across a variety of industry sectors, contract management, dispute resolution, advisory for Project Managers and strong communication and interpersonal relationships.
The category includes, but is not limited to, Human Resources and Professional Services.
Key accountability for this position includes:
- Conducts procurement, sourcing, and category management activities required by the World Bank Group globally.
- Understands client’s needs, generates solicitations, and manages bidding process for assigned areas; collaborates with clients in developing procurement plans; carries out market research to identify sources of supply; reviews technical specifications for completeness and competitive qualities; develops vendor pre-qualifying and evaluation criteria; prepares contracts; and engages vendors in process discussions.
- Negotiates contract terms and conditions for the assigned categories.
- Category management of designated categories.
- Monitors vendor commercial performance.
- Conducts research, trend analysis and benchmarking in international markets including category management.
- Leads/guides remotely located teams in performing medium to complex procurements.
- Liaises with clients in preparation and delivery of presentations to Procurement Committees.
- Undertakes activities to ensure compliance with World Bank Groups’ policy.
- Provides guidance and direction to Project Managers on commercial contract management issues.
- Designs innovative solutions for medium to complex solicitations for large dollar and through a service risk-based approach.
- Possesses an expert level understanding of commerciality and ability to demonstrate achieving value for money through strategic planning, solicitation, and negotiations.
- Maximizes positive impact on sustainability (diversity, environment, social responsibility) through the sourcing process and category management.
- Possesses a good understanding of risk management, analyses risks, and works with business partners to mitigate risks through sourcing and managing risks during category management.
Due to the requirements of the job, this position may require frequent adjustments to the work schedule created by the time zone difference with many of the clients it supports and may also involve a limited amount of travel.
- MA/MS in Procurement, Business Administration, Law, or other relevant discipline and nationally/ internationally recognized Professional Certification (CPSM, CIPS, or equivalent) coupled with courses/ certificates in procurement or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Minimum seven years of relevant experience. Experience of working in multicultural environments would be highly desirable.
- Practical experience in international procurement with full knowledge of procurement techniques and practices used in the public and private sector and experience in contract drafting and administration.
- Knowledge and experience conducting procurements for a wide variety of categories and in category management.
- Experience in executing solicitations and contracts in a services organization.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Public Sector and/or UN System procurement processes is desirable.
- Effective negotiating and presentation skills.
- Proven analytical skills, including the ability to analyze corporate financial statements/reports and develop well-balanced recommendations on procurement awards and related issues.
- Demonstrated ability to deal with complex procurement situations.
- Ability to proactively manage the work program, contribute to team responsibilities and manage client expectations.
- Experience in use of business-related software (e.g., Outlook, Word, Excel, ERP); experience using procurement software systems such as SAP, R3, Materials Management is desirable.
- Project Management skills, strong communication, and interpersonal relationships.
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relationships with clients and colleagues.
- Superior communication skills in English (verbal, written, and comprehension).
- Ability to function effectively in multi-disciplinary teams within a matrix management environment, as well as an individual contributor.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Other language skills would be an asset.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
Note: The selected candidate will be offered a one-year appointment, renewable for an additional one year, at the discretion of the World Bank Group, and subject to a lifetime maximum ET Appointment of two years. If an ET appointment ends before a full year, it is considered as a full year toward the lifetime maximum. Former and current ET staff who have completed all or any portion of their second-year ET appointment are not eligible for future ET appointments.