United Nations Environment Programme
UNEP in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Posting Title: Environmental Protection Expert
Department/Office: United Nations Environment Programme
Duty Station: RIYADH
Posting Period: 10 November 2022 – 30 November 2022
Job Opening Number: 22-United Nations Environment Programme-194891-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of Service
Development of policies and strategies for biodiversity and environment protection.
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Organization Setting: The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The West Asia Office of UNEP delivers advisory services and capacity building support to countries to achieve environment and sustainable development objectives.
This consultancy announcement is meant to solicit applications for rostering purposes to serve as the pool of expertise that UNEP West Asia Office is creating within the framework of the long-term strategic partnership and the Saudi Environment Sustainability Programme with the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture of Saudi Arabia.
Under the direct supervision of the Project Manager in UNEP West Asia Office and in coordination with the respective department in the Ministry of Environment, Water and Agriculture in Saudi Arabia, the expert will carry-out, inter alia, the following duties and responsibilities: 1. Develop technical inputs and implement overall environmental program in accordance with applicable environmental laws, executive orders, and regulations, SOPs, and other environmental guidance, including nation laws and regulations and final governing standards, as available and applicable.
2. Provide technical guidance in environmental protection programs to protect or improve environmental quality, control pollution, remedy environmental damage, and ensure compliance with environmental laws and regulations
3. Coordinate implementation of principles and methods of administering environmental protection programs, laws, and regulations.
4. Review and analyze statutes, regulations, permit/licensing requirements, precedent decisions governing environmental operations used in planning, implementing, and monitoring local environmental compliance programs, and environmental management systems
5. Provide technical expertise for a wide range of environmental protection issues or concerns including biodiversity.
6. Develop, analyze, evaluate, and modify environmental programs, policies, and procedures for improvement.
Outputs / Work Assignments (Deliverables): 1. Inception report and situation analysis report.
2. Capacity building programmes identified and approved by MEWA.
3. Staff trained and training reports for the different thematic areas.
4. Final project report.
Master’s degree or equivalent in environmental protection, environmental science, natural sciences, or related fields is required.
Minimum of 10 years of professional technical experience in the field of environmental protection is required.
Knowledge of environmental protection standards in Saudi Arabia is an asset.
Experience working in West Asia is desirable.
Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
This consultancy announcement is meant to solicit applications for rostering purposes to serve as the pool of expertise
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.