UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
UNESCO Cluster Office Beirut
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Beirut
Classification of duty station: [[filter12]]
Standard Duration of Assignement : [[filter13]]
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Non Staff
Duration of contract : From 7 to 11 months
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 21-SEP-2022 (Extended)
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
Background Development of Lebanon’s education sector was disrupted by the onset of the Syria Crisis, which obliged the Ministry of Education and Higher Education (MEHE) to focus on coordinating and managing an emergency response. Since 2011, MEHE has created places for more than 200,000 non-Lebanese students in its public schools under RACEI and RACEII strategies. Recently MEHE’s focus is on transitioning from emergency response to meeting the development challenges of managing a protracted crisis. This is critical if Lebanon is to be able to offer all children the kind of education envisaged in Sustainable Development Goal 4 by 2030. In 2021 MEHE to develop the General Education 5 Year Plan as a contribution to realizing the humanitarian and development aims of the sector. The 5YP was launched in August 2021 and it forms part of a government-wide effort to transform Lebanon. This is reflected in the national development goal for Lebanon’s future: Lebanon’s high-quality human capital strengthens socio-economic development, innovation and resilience.
Scope of the Assignment This function focus of the assignment is to ensure provision of technical advice on education policy, program design and planning on all priority areas, programs, projects and activities under the 5YP. This position requires senior level educational expertise with strong knowledge of educational trends, strategies, and policies worldwide and more specific within conflict and crises-based situations.
This position is well suited to candidates who enjoy working under pressure and be an effective part of a team and much of the work to be undertaken by this position requires policy level expertise and high communication and soft diplomacy skills. S/he is expected to build capacity and invest in the human resources of MEHE’s civil servants as per the directions of the DGE. S/he shall provide timely reporting to UNESCO and the DGE on all matters related to the duties below.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Support the DGE in the formulation of educational policies, plans, programmes and projects in conformity with the 5YP and national priorities.
- Provide technical support to DGE in the development, dissemination, and operationalization of polices and initiatives to improve quality of education design, development, planning and implementation of the 5YP.
- Support the DGE in the operational planning of education polices including education policy orientation document, simulation models, education sector plan, and education planning at large.
- Provide technical support to DGE to undertake rapid analysis, activity evaluation, use research results and engage in dialogue to support of policy formation and revision for the 5YP.
- Support the DGE to endorse solid, coherent policies and plans to support to build sustainable education systems, achieve educational development goals that supports the expansion of quality, evidence-based education across General Education nation-wide.
- Work closely with units to assess needs and design projects as per DGE’s request.
- Provide support to different units to bring consistent planning across the Ministry’s initiatives and operations.
- Support DGE in liaising with other Ministries, Government Agencies and International Organizations in order to ensure an integrated education system.
- Support in the submission of proposals to decision makers, including alternative strategies and provision of solutions.
- Undertake additional tasks as requested by DGE.
Expected Deliverables The Consultant shall submit to UNESCO and the DG monthly activity reports in the specific responsibilities defined in this Terms of Reference Monthly and/or bi-weekly Activity Report that includes the following:
- Executive summary of the overall performance (tasks assigned vs actual accomplishments.
- Key monthly objectives & activities with clear & measurable indicators (outputs & outcomes)
- Approach to work and methodology including challenges, limitations & adaptation in methodology and Lessons Learned
- Implementation Plan, Milestones & Future steps (ongoing tasks and/or new cycle)
The Consultant shall submit to UNESCO and the DG an “End of assignment closure report” including handing over of any documentation (electronic or otherwise), assets and deliverables belonging to MEHE.
Level of Effort and Duration of the Assignment
- The overall level of effort required from the Expert for this Assignment: This is a full-time position, requiring daily attendance at the workplace.
- The assignment is for 11 months with possibility of extension depending on performance and budget availability.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Doctorate or Master’s degree in education, education planning, education management and education policy and/or a related field.
- 5 years’ experience in education policy design, strategic education planning and program design with International Organizations and government agencies and ministries in education sector.
- Very good knowledge of compliance & governance aspects related to institutional grants and other types of partnerships.
- Strong tactful/soft diplomacy and communication skills with proficiency in developing high-level compelling technical written and oral presentations,
- Research and analytic skills related to policy work
- Demonstrated understanding of education trends and issues related to reading education, teacher professional development and assignment.
- Strong organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in teams and within a team of senior experts
- Computer literacy including use of Microsoft and Excel
- Fluency in Arabic and English, French is highly desired.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.