International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
The Statistics Department has an opening for an Economist in the Strategy, Standards, and Review Division (STASR). STASR economists contribute to the data policy and research agenda of the department, review country and policy papers; lead mission work on data standards initiatives (in particular e-GDDS missions) to promote dissemination of data for surveillance, and monitor the implementation of the data standards initiatives (e-GDDS, SDDS and SDDS Plus).
STASR leads in STA the work on three data policy frameworks: the Review of Data Provision to the Fund for Surveillance Purposes, the Review of Data Standards Initiatives, and the annual update of the Board paper Third-Party Indicators Digest in Fund publications. It leads STA’s review function for country papers, policy papers, and multilateral flagships. The Division is the focal division for STA’s surveillance dialogue with area and other functional departments. With the review of the Data Provision to the Fund for Surveillance purposes being close to completion and the Board Review of the Data Standards Initiative having been completed earlier this year, the division is in a phase of intense work in implementing the Board review’s recommendations, which will require innovative thinking and excellent planning and organization skills. Also, economist in the division have a portfolio of countries to support in moving towards meeting the various data standards.
The successful candidate will contribute to all aspects of the Division’s work program, including:
- lead e-GDDS missions; and lead the work involved in support and monitor countries’ adherence to data standards;
- contribute to the preparation of annual Board paper update of Third-Party Indicators Digest;
- assist area department country teams to implement the new assessment of data adequacy for surveillance which was endorsed by the Board as part of the ongoing Data Provision to the Fund Review
- contribute to the monitoring of the data standards initiatives;
- lead the reviews of country and policy papers on data issues;
- contribute to the research work of the Division, including using big data techniques;
- represent STA at the weekly Fund-wide surveillance meetings; and may volunteer to participate in area department missions (Article IV or program missions).
Qualifications: The candidate should have an advanced university degree (Master’s or PhD or equivalent) in Economics, Finance, Statistics, and/or related fields, supplemented by a minimum of four years of relevant professional experience.
In addition to the minimum qualifications set forth in the job standards , the successful candidate will have experience in integrating area department and statistics work, either through experience in surveillance and program work or through closely liaising with area department teams in advancing capacity development projects. Strong background in macroeconomics and financial surveillance and/or statistics issues as well as excellent analytical, written and oral communication skills, a proven track record of policy relevant research, and the ability to work in teams effectively are required.
This position is open for fungible economists as well as specialized economists.
STASR Statistics Department Strategy, Standards, and Review
A11, A12, A13, A14
The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including age, creed, culture, disability, educational background, ethnicity, gender, gender expression, nationality, race, religion and beliefs, and sexual orientation.