Vacancy no.: DC/PHNOM PENH/GS/2021/07
Publication date: 26/08/2021
Application deadline (midnight local time): 13/09/2021
Job ID: 6603
Department: RO-Asia and the Pacific
Organization Unit: CO-Bangkok
Location: Siem Reap
Contract type: Fixed Term
Contract duration: 12 months with the possibility of extension
Under article 4.2, paragraph (e) of the Staff Regulations, the filling of vacancies in technical cooperation projects does not fall under Annex I of the Staff Regulations and is made by direct selection by the Director-General.
In order to support the best informed process in the filling of the above-mentioned vacancy by direct selection, the ILO invites interested candidates to submit their application online by the above date.
The following are eligible to apply:
- ILO Internal candidates in accordance with paragraphs 31 and 32 of Annex I of the Staff Regulations.
- External candidates*
*The recruitment process for General Service positions is subject to specific local recruitment criteria. The ILO may only offer a contract to persons who have a valid residency status and work permit in Cambodia.
The ILO values diversity among its staff and welcomes applications from qualified female candidates. We also encourage applicants with disabilities. If you are unable to complete our online application form due to a disability, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Technical cooperation appointments are not expected to lead to a career in the ILO and they do not carry any expectation of renewal or conversion to any other type of appointment in the Organization. A one-year fixed-term contract will be given. Extensions of technical cooperation contracts are subject to various elements including the following: availability of funds, continuing need of the functions and satisfactory conduct and performance.
*Conditions of employment for external candidates: In conformity with existing ILO practice, the appointment of an external candidate will normally be made at the first step of this grade. The entry level salary for this position is 7,605 (USD) yearly.
The project aims to address pressing needs to create jobs and provide skills development in remittance dependent communities in Siem Reap and Battambang Provinces – targeting returned migrants and vulnerable households – to mitigate the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. Many households depend on remittances from their internal or external migrant household members.
While retrenched workers are returning to their homes in rural areas, these communities face additional livelihood challenges such as a lack of potable water, sanitation and drainage, and road connections and irrigation structures in poor condition. This situation is aggravated by cyclical patterns of torrential rain during which villages and infrastructure are inundated by floodwater, causing damage to properties and farmlands as well as essential infrastructure such as water supply, sanitation and access roads. Standing water from poor drainage also leads to unhygienic living conditions and an increase in water-borne diseases.
Improving such infrastructure, as well as climate proofing such assets and facilities, have a long-term impact on living conditions in rural communities. With the introduction of employment-intensive methods in such works, it is possible to increase productive employment and income generation thereby also mitigating recent job losses resulting from the economic impact of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In parallel, the project will be supporting the Ministry of Labour and Vocational Training (MOLVT) to further improve skills and lifelong learning systems. Blended (online and face to face) TVET training will be developed and upgraded in related construction skills and in other sectors in demand by the labour market.
Under the supervision of the Field Engineers the incumbent will provide reliable and safe driving services to project staff and other authorised officials and visitors, ensuring the highest standards of discretion and integrity and sense of responsibility. The Driver may be required to carry out certain messenger functions and clerical support services. The Driver will organise and accurately complete multiple tasks by following established work priorities given, while taking into consideration special assignments, frequent interruptions, deadlines, available resources and multiple reporting relationships.
Description of Duties
In accordance with the needs and priorities of the project, the Driver will carry out the following duties:
- Provide reliable and secure driving services for project staff and other authorised personnel and visitors;
- Ensure proper day-to-day maintenance of assigned vehicles through timely minor repairs and arrange for major repairs and checking of oil, tyres, brakes and water levels, car washing, etc. so that the vehicle is in good running condition and kept clean at all times;
- Provide inputs to the preparation of the vehicle maintenance plans and reports;
- Ensure availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, maps of the city/country, first aid kit and other MOSS-compliant equipment, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle;
- Keep track of insurance and other tax formalities;
- Collect mail and pouch and deliver mail and official documents to government counterparts and officials as instructed;
- Meet officials and visitors at the airport or other entry points and provide basic assistance with basic formalities;
- Responsible for accurately maintaining vehicle log books, recording daily trips, to ensure efficient vehicle use and fuel consumption to support accurate accounting and cost efficiency;
- Outside driving duties, perform basic office-related tasks such as photocopying, filing, data entry, maintaining stores, and delivery/collection of various items;
- Perform other relevant duties as assigned.
Completion of secondary school education. Valid and clean driving licence.
A minimum of two years of relevant work experience with a safe driving record.
Good command of English.
- Excellent knowledge of local driving rules and regulations;
- Knowledge of local roads and conditions;
- Skills in preventive maintenance and minor vehicle repair;
- Good knowledge of chauffeur protocol and courtesies;
- Good knowledge of security issues;
- Knowledge of rules and procedures on vehicle management including maintenance of official vehicles and knowledge of mechanics and maintenance and repair of vehicles;
- Some knowledge of administrative rules and regulations;
- Some basic computer skills to record information in IT systems;
- Ability to present a professional image at all times;
- Ability to deal calmly with unexpected circumstances or delays;
- Discretion and respect for confidentiality;
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment and to demonstrate gender-sensitive and non-discriminatory behaviour and attitudes.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. To apply, please visit the ILO Jobs website. The system provides instructions for online application procedures.
The ILO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process whether at the application, interview, processing or training stage. Messages originating from a non ILO e-mail account – @ilo.org – should be disregarded. In addition, the ILO does not require or need to know any information relating to the bank account details of applicants.
- Office ILO in Siem Reap