UNICEF - United Nations Children's Fund
Unicef in Ranchi
Vacancy Announcement – Driver, GS-2, (FT), Ranchi; Post Number: 63277 (This post is open for Indian Nationals only)
Job no: 552339
Position type: Fixed Term Appointment
Location: India Division/Equivalent: Kathmandu(ROSA)
Department/Office: Ranchi, India
UNICEF works in some of the world’s toughest places, to reach the world’s most disadvantaged children. To save their lives. To defend their rights. To help them fulfill their potential.
Across 190 countries and territories, we work for every child, everywhere, every day, to build a better world for everyone. UNICEF has spent 70 years working to improve the lives of children and their families. Defending children’s rights throughout their lives requires a global presence, aiming to produce results and understand their effects. UNICEF believes all children have a right to survive, thrive and fulfill their potential – to the benefit of a better world.
And we never give up.
Click here to learn more about UNICEF: (link)
Job organizational context
The environment in Jharkhand is complex. It is a tribal and conflict affected state. UNICEF works through the multi-stakeholder platform, collaborating with Government, development partners and civil society to jointly track progress, addressing barriers and bottlenecks to the achievement of SDGs. Jharkhand is one of the 13 field offices in India reporting directly to the CFS in Delhi etc. This post reports to the Senior Administrative Associate who is at the G-7 level.
Purpose for the job
The Driver, at the G-2 level, provides reliable and safe driving services, demonstrating the highest standards of professionalism, discretion, integrity, sense of responsibility, excellent knowledge of protocol whilst ensuring compliance with local driving rules and regulations.
The Driver demonstrates a client-oriented approach, high sense of responsibility, courtesy, tact and the ability to work with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
1) Reliable and safe driving services for staff and officials 2) Maintenance of assigned vehicle 3) Documentation of vehicle-related information.
Major duties and responsibilities:
- Reliable and safe driving services for staff and officials
Drives office vehicles for the transport of UN staff, officials and visitors and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items.
Meets official personnel and visitors at the airport and may assist with basic visa and customs formalities and arrangements when required.
Maintenance of assigned vehicle
Ensures vehicle is kept in good running condition at all times through addressing minor repairs, making arrangements for major repairs, timely changes of oil, check of tires, brakes, water levels and car washing.
- Documentation of vehicle related information
Ensures availability of all the required documents/supplies including vehicle insurance, vehicle registration, vehicle logs, office directory, map of the city/country, first aid kit, and necessary spare parts in the assigned vehicle; keeps track of insurance and other tax formalities.
Impact of Results: The efficiency and efficacy of the support provided by the Driver ensures the safe and timely transportation of staff, officials and visitors to work assignments and the efficient maintenance of vehicles owned/rented by the office, thus supporting the efficient running of the office which in turn strengthens UNICEF’s capacity in delivering programmes for the most vulnerable women and children in that particular country.
To qualify as a/an [champion or advocate] for every child you will have…
A secondary education is required, along with a valid driver’s license and knowledge of local driving rules and regulations.
A minimum of two years of work experience as a driver in an international organization, embassy or UN system with a safe driving record is required.
Working knowledge of English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian or Spanish) or a local language is an asset.
- Good knowledge of the city, local roads and conditions where the office is located
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations, chauffeur protocol and courtesies
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with visitors
- High sense of confidentiality, initiative and good judgment
- Ability to work effectively with people of different national and cultural background
For every Child, you demonstrate…
UNICEF’s values of Care, Respect, Integrity, Trust, and Accountability (CRITA) and core competencies in Communication, Working with People and Drive for Results.
The UNICEF competencies required for this post are…
- Demonstrates Self Awareness and Ethical Awareness (1)
- Works Collaboratively with others (1)
- Builds and Maintains Partnerships (1)
- Innovates and Embraces Change (1)
- Thinks and Acts Strategically (1)
- Drive to achieve impactful results (1)
- Manages ambiguity and complexity (1)
View our competency framework at
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of the organization.
UNICEF has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNICEF, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination. UNICEF also adheres to strict child safeguarding principles. All selected candidates will be expected to adhere to these standards and principles and will therefore undergo rigorous reference and background checks. Background checks will include the verification of academic credential(s) and employment history. Selected candidates may be required to provide additional information to conduct a background check.
UNICEF is committed to promote the protection and safeguarding of all children.
- The position is based in Ranchi, India.
- Candidates who had applied earlier need not apply again.
- The selected applicant will have an initial two (2) year fixed-term contract, with the possibility of extension, subject to satisfactory performance.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be notified and advance to the next stage of the selection process, which involves various assessments.
- UNICEF appointments are subject to medical clearance. Appointments may also be subject to inoculation (vaccination) requirements, including against SARS-CoV-2 (Covid). UNICEF reserves the right to withdraw an offer of appointment, without compensation, if medical clearance is not obtained, or necessary inoculation requirements are not met, within a reasonable period for any reason.
- UNICEF does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process, including application, interview, meeting, traveling, processing, training, etc. UNICEF is a nonsmoking working environment.
For more information about UNICEF India, please refer to the link below: – (link)
Advertised: Sep 20 2022 India Standard Time Application close: Sep 27 2022 India Standard Time