IOM - International Organization for Migration
Vacancy/Reference Number: VNSA2023/01
Position Title: Driver
Position Grade: G2 (UN Salary Scale for General Staff)
Duty Station: CO Pretoria, South Africa
Appointment Type: One Year Fixed Term Contract with the possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: 24 February 2023
Organizational Context and Scope
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM) in South Africa, the administrative and function supervision of Resources Management Officer (RMO) and direct supervision of the Senior Procurement and Logistics Assistant; and, in collaboration with relevant Administrative Centres, the successful candidate will be responsible and accountable for fleet and transportation functions in CO Pretoria.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Drive assigned IOM office vehicle(s).
- Manage the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle(s) to ensure roadworthiness of the vehicles. This includes daily check of tires, brakes, engine oil, fan belt, etc.
- Arrange for minor repairs and ensures that the vehicles are kept clean.
- Ensure that the vehicles undertake regular service intervals.
- Keep records of spare parts for vehicle(s) and conduct monthly inventory of the spare parts.
- Find the most direct and safe route over the best available roads to the destination.
- Ensure that the IOM vehicle(s) is used only for official/authorized business, as advised by the supervisor.
- Make sure that the daily log sheet is prepared, and a monthly report is prepared summarizing statistics linked to mileage, fuel consumption, etc. for the vehicle.
- Keep a high degree of confidentiality and discreteness in discussions, which involves IOM and its officials. Take proper actions to reduce potential security threats to IOM officials and/or property within the immediate vicinity of the vehicle and along transport routes.
- Meet official personnel at the airport(s) and facilitate immigration and customs formalities as required.
- Collect and deliver mail, documents, pouches, and other communications/items from and to the country office; go to the post office, airport, government agencies, other UN agencies, institutions, project sites, etc., to take and deliver items and communications; keep records as required.
- When needed, assist the country office staff in performing simple clerical duties such as making and answering telephone calls, making photocopies, keeping records, etc.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
- High school degree/certificate with minimum 2 years of relevant working experience.
- Valid national driver’s licence.
- Knowledge of driving rules and regulations.
- Experience in driving a variety of makes and models of vehicles
- Skills in minor vehicle repairs.
- Knowledge of radio, email, telephone and other applications.
Required Fluency in English
Working knowledge of local languages is desirable.
The incumbent is expected to demonstrate the following values and competencies: Values – all IOM staff members must abide by and demonstrate these three values:
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Internals of the Organization will be considered as first-tier candidates. This vacancy is also open to second-tier candidates.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation.
Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment, accreditation, any residency requirements, and security clearances.