Universal Postal Union (UPU)
Vacancy Announcement No: UPU/22/D2/FT-C/363 Title: Director of Administration and Cabinet Grade: D2 Type of contract Fixed-term (Core) Appointment Duration: Three years
Publication Date: 13 July 2022 Application Deadline: 24 August 2022 ( ) Organizational Unit: Administration and Cabinet Directorate (DACAB) Duty Station: Bern Switzerland Scheduled date for taking up appointment: January 2023
Organizational Context: With its 192 member countries, the Universal Postal Union (UPU), a specialized agency of the United Nations, is the primary forum for cooperation between postal sector players. It helps to ensure a truly universal network of up-to-date products and services.
Main duties: The Director of Administration and Cabinet (Executive Office) of the UPU Executive Management (Director General and Deputy Director General) is responsible for the efficient coordination of strategic goals across the directorates of the UPU International Bureau as well as with external stakeholders, including the UN common system. In addition, the incumbent coordinates the Executive Management’s external and internal official engagements and commitments, providing advice and monitoring progress.
Under the general authority of the Executive Management, the incumbent assists the Director General in managing the International Bureau by directly supervising the work of the three support directorates (Finance, Human Resources and Logistics Directorates) and coordinating with the other directorates.
The incumbent also provides authoritative political, technical and strategical advice and guidance in the areas of Cabinet, governance and internal control, and partnerships and communication, including protocol and institutional event management.
The incumbent has overall responsibility for Executive Office activities, as well as for budgetary and human resources-related issues.
1. Executive Office management – Leads and coordinates all the programmes and activities of the Executive Office and ensures quality and timeliness in the delivery of objectives. – Coordinates and monitors on behalf of the Executive Management the work of the various directorates to ensure harmonized strategic planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of activities. – Builds and promotes relations with all internal and external stakeholders to facilitate the implementation of the UPU’s objectives. – Oversees the preparation and organization of official missions and public engagements of the Director General and Deputy Director General, as well as visits of high-ranking officials to the UPU International Bureau (IB). – Manages the political dimension of the business of the Council of Administration (CA), CA Management Committee, Coordination Committee, Postal Operations Council (POC) and Congress. – Leads and coordinates the preparation and organization of the CA, POC, Congress and other committees, focusing on political and highly sensitive issues (excluding operational and technical areas). – Anticipates problems of a strategic, political or highly sensitive nature that can arise before, during and after high ranking meetings, sessions and conferences, analyzes such matters and provides authoritative advice, recommending solutions to the Executive Management and relevant Chairs as appropriate. – Liaises with the Council Chairs on all political aspects. – Coordinates liaison with representatives of member countries. – Oversees the UPU’s contribution to UN activities and coordinates the preparation of the Director General’s participation in the Chief Executives Board (CEB) and other high-level meetings of UN agencies.
2. Administration of support directorates (DFI, DHR, DL) – Provides guidance for and oversees the Finance and Human Resources Directorates and their respective Directors. – Provides leadership and guidance in view of ensuring the organization’s transparency and accountability in the management of financial and human resources. – Ensures that the UPU’s financial and human resources policies are complied with and kept up to date and that new policies are issued when required. – Ensures that the UPU’s key logistics projects and functions are well planned and run smoothly. – Leads and oversees internal coordination with the other IB directorates in their relations with the support directorates (DFI, DHR, DL). – Maintains and updates the relations with member countries and the UPU bodies in the fields related to the support directorates. – Represents the UPU in governance forums and at interagency meetings and conferences.
3. Cabinet, governance and internal control – Sets the vision for evaluation in the UPU by setting and monitoring the performance standards for evaluation. – Oversees the coordination and management of various internal control systems. – Oversees the coordination, implementation and monitoring of internal and external audit and Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) recommendations. – Oversees the coordination of activities related to ethics. – Oversees the implementation of the general policy with respect to the United Nations system. – Directs the interpretation and implementation of UN decisions and policies within the UPU and initiates and coordinates joint initiatives with other UN organizations.
4. Partnerships and communications – Oversees and leads the design, implementation and monitoring of the partnership and resource mobilization strategy and related activities, including donor relations and stakeholder engagement. – Oversees the Secretariat’s support of and substantive input to the Consultative Committee and its various work streams and provides the Executive Management with advice on the development of relations with the private sector and wider postal sector players. – Oversees and leads the conceptualization, design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the UPU communication strategy, programmes and activities, covering traditional, social and web media. – Provides authoritative technical and policy advice on highly complex public information and communication issues. – Acts as lead spokesperson for the Executive Management, as needed. – Provides the Director General with authoritative advice on internal communication. – Oversees and leads the preparation of speeches, statements, position papers and briefing materials for the Director General. – Drafts speeches in exceptional cases when dealing with highly sensitive or political aspects.
5. Protocol and institutional event management – Leads and coordinates the preparation and organization of major institutional events at the highest level. – Coordinates tasks related to protocol, liaison and representation of the IB at official ceremonies and high-level events. – Coordinates the contacts with the host government of Congress, diplomatic corps and VIPs. – Oversees the organization of receptions for diplomatic corps hosted by the Director General (e.g. World Post Day).
6. Resource management Management of the Administration and Cabinet Directorate – Leads and manages the directorate ensuring coordination and oversight of the work programmes, promoting an environment of professional inquisitiveness, anticipating new challenges, seeking solutions and evaluating their effectiveness, demonstrating a commitment of excellence to the Director General, member countries and other stakeholders. – Recommends the appropriate organizational structure of the directorate, assigning staff and financial resources based on priorities and workload. – Initiates the development and implementation of the directorateâs work plan, including forecasts, priorities and anticipated requirements in terms of human and financial resources. – Achieves annual service targets, ensuring that the directorate performs within its budget and obtaining efficiency gains. – Ensures that all policies, processes and procedures, workflows and systems in place are relevant and cost effective. – Establishes a culture of continuous improvement in the directorate.
Human resources – Leads, motivates and guides a multidisciplinary and multicultural team; establishes the teamâs work plans and performance objectives, provides regular feedback on performance, recognizes good performance and addresses unsatisfactory performance issues. – Fosters integration and teamwork.
Financial resources – Directs and supervises budget preparation, implementation, management and reporting. – Establishes management information systems aimed at monitoring the use of resources and performance and ensuring accountability.
7. External relations Represents the UPU at various forums as well as in international, regional and national meetings in areas under the incumbentâs responsibility.
QUALIFICATION AND SKILLS REQUIRED
Education: Advanced university degree (master or equivalent) in management, business, public administration, international relations, political science, economy or a related field.
Experience: Over 15 years of professional experience in one or more of the areas covering the position, including at least five years at senior level in an executive management support function in an international context. Experience in the postal industry would be an asset.
Technical knowledge: 1. Knowledge of the areas covering the position. 2. Knowledge of policy and strategy formulation. 3. Knowledge of: – the Universal Postal Union, including its mandate, goals, objectives, structure and bodies; – the International Bureau, its structure, programmes and projects; and – the United Nations system, its structure, mission and values, policies and decisions. 4. Knowledge of political and diplomatic relations and situations among member countries.
Skills and abilities / competencies: 1. Ability to work in an international environment with staff of different cultural, educational and religious backgrounds. 2. A proven record of high-level leadership and communication skills, people management and team working skills. 3. Capacity to develop and maintain relations with high-ranking representatives of member countries and international organizations. 4. High level of political sensitivity, professional integrity and impartiality. 5. Strong representational abilities. 6. Ability to drive change and improvement. 7. Excellent judgement and decision-making abilities. 8. Ability to prepare and deliver complex and high-level messages. 9. Knowledge of strategic negotiation skills.
Language skills: Proficiency in English or French and ability to communicate and write in the other language.
Additional Information: French is the official language of the UPU. English and French are the working languages of the UPU International Bureau. ________________________________________________________________________________________________ Candidates might be considered for other similar posts (for a period not exceeding one year). _______________________________________________________________________________________________ The UPU is committed to encouraging diversity within its workforce. Interested candidates from minority groups and/or with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated equally and in the strictest confidence. _______________________________________________________________________________________________ Candidates must ensure that they provide relevant contact details so that they can be contacted at any time, to prevent them from being excluded from the selection process.
Annual salary: (Net of tax) 114,666 USD
Post adjustment: 71.4 % of the above figure(s). This percentage is to be considered as indicative since variations may occur each month either upwards or downwards due to currency exchange rate fluctuations or inflation.
The conditions of service are governed by the Staff Regulations and Rules of the International Bureau of the Universal Postal Union.
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application form. All applications must be received by the closing date as stated in the vacancy announcement.
All applicants employed by postal entities and applying for a vacant position in the Professional (P) or Senior (D) category must be recommended and submitted through the competent postal authority. Applications not satisfying this criterion may not be considered.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
Applications from women and member states are particularly encouraged.
The UPU promotes diversity and work-life balance.
For further instructions regarding the online application process, please visit the UPU internet page at: (link)-Postal-Union/Careers