WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance
Are you a highly skilled DevOps Cloud engineer with extensive hands-on experience setting up automated pipelines and cloud infrastructures? Are you fluent in the digital language (CI/CD, AWS, VPC, IaC, etc) and know how to automate and integrate the processes between software development and operations teams, to build, test, and release software faster and more reliably? Do you have a proven record of accomplishment increasing an organization’s ability to deliver IT solutions at high velocity, in an Agile context? Join our team and work in an exciting, collaborative, and fast-paced environment, surrounded by talented people of different cultures and nationalities. Help us deliver the corporate platforms required by the World Food Programme.
This is a remote role with a team working in the Central European Standard Time (CEST) time zone; for this role at least six working hours must overlap with the 08:30am to 5pm CEST working day.
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the leading humanitarian organization saving lives and changing lives, delivering food assistance in emergencies and working with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience.
The Technology Division of WFP partners with business areas across the organization to digitally transform our business. We design, develop, enhance and maintain a variety of digital products. The Service Management Branch is part of the Technology Division and oversees solution operations and infrastructure.
Reporting to the Lead of Platform Support of the Infrastructure Services Team, the DevOps Cloud Specialist is part of a team that ensures a robust cloud infrastructure to run the IT solutions, as well as the automated Azure DevOps Pipelines to facilitate the delivery of these IT solutions.
- Design, configure, test, and document the Amazon Web Services (AWS) infrastructure to fit the needs of the IT solutions, including security, performance, availability, scalability, resiliency, data redundancy, data latency and such;
- Design, configure, test, and document on Azure DevOps the continuous integration and continuous deployment (CI/CD) pipelines for the IT solutions;
- Define principles, guidance, guidelines, and best practices for AWS infrastructure of IT solutions, Infrastructure as Code, and Azure Pipelines, and present them for endorsement by the IT Architectural Board as corporate standards;
- Define quality assurance metrics for the cloud and DevOps infrastructure;
- In case of Product Teams who have a DevOps engineer, provide advice and guidance for the infrastructure and pipelines to be compliant with WFP standards, and validate the implementations;
- Create technical tickets in the Product Backlogs to ensure the high quality of the IT solution infrastructure and negotiate their prioritization with the Product Manager and IT Solution Architect;
- Stay up to date with cloud and DevOps infrastructure technology and best practices;
- Create an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture; and
- Other duties as required.
- Well-configured (secure and stable) infrastructure/hosting environments;
- Working fully automated CI/CD pipelines
- Principles, guidance, guidelines, and best-practices endorsed by the IT Architectural Board; and
- Related solution materials (architecture diagrams, etc.) and applicable documentation.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
- University degree in Computer Science (or related fields).
- AWS Certifications: SysOps Administrator, DevOps Engineer, Solution Architect.
- At least six years’ experience with DevOps cloud infrastructure, and a proven track record of planning, leading, and executing related activities.
- Experience working with software engineering best practices such as code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, deployment, release, and change management;
- Experience systems administration in Cloud or Virtualized environment including scripting (shell script, power shell, python, etc); and
- Desirable: experience with Azure DevOps for CI/CD pipelines management; and, experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Well organized and detail oriented;
- Able to effectively coordinate multiple responsibilities simultaneously;
- Able to plan and organize work and communicate effectively;
- Ability to deal patiently and tactfully with people of different national and cultural backgrounds.
Fluency in oral and written English with an intermediate knowledge of another official UN language (Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is desirable.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
WFP offers a competitive compensation package which will be determined by the contract type and selected candidate’s qualifications and experience.
Please visit our website for detailed information on working with WFP: (link) Click on: “Our work” and “Countries” to learn more about WFP’s operations.
Deadline for applications: 24 September 2021 at 11:59pm Rome Time
Qualified female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply.
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
Saving lives, changing lives
- Office WFP Rome