The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB, and Malaria
The Global Fund in Geneva, Switzerland
Deputy General Counsel, Grant Management – GL E
Under the guidance of the General Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel Grant Management is responsible for the design and implementation of legal policy and strategy for Global Fund grants and for the effective management of legal risk across the global portfolio. They are responsible for establishing and overseeing the legal framework governing the global portfolio; overseeing the negotiation and drafting of legal agreements and instruments enabling the disbursement and use of grant funds; managing legal risk arising from Global Fund investments; and overseeing legal advice and counsel on Global Fund grants. Working independently, regularly, and closely with senior management across the organization as well as external stakeholders and key partners, they are responsible for protecting the organization from legal liabilities and risks arising from in-country investments, developing innovative solutions to emerging legal risks and challenges, and advising senior management on the navigation of complex and sensitive issues relating to the management of the global portfolio. Working closely with the General Counsel and other members of the Management Executive Committee, Committees, and the Board, the Deputy General Counsel, Grant Management is also a key contributor in the design and development of Board policy and strategy governing the global portfolio of investments, and supports the drafting, negotiation, and approval of related Board and Committee decisions that form the basis of the Global Fund operating framework for the grant portfolio. They are responsible for ensuring coherency and consistency across Board policies impacting the management of the global portfolio and is responsible for the interpretation of grant-related Board policy and its application to Global Fund investments. They are also responsible for ensuring compliance with Board policy and other applicable legal frameworks to the global portfolio through the design of key operational policies, procedures, and processes impacting all Global Fund grants. Under the guidance of the General Counsel and in collaboration with other senior managers in the department, the Deputy General Counsel, Grant Management, functions with a great degree of accountability and autonomy as a key connector horizontally across functions as well as vertically between the governance bodies such as the Board and county operations. They oversee a team of 9+ lawyers directly supporting Global Fund grant portfolios and provides clear strategic direction and management oversight for the negotiation and drafting of al grant agreements; identification and management of legal risk in the grant portfolio (including relating to fraud or misappropriation); and the consistent application of policies, procedures, guidelines, and practices relating to management of the grant portfolio.
Under the guidance of the General Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel, Grant Management is responsible for:
- Designing, implementing, and overseeing execution of the legal strategy for the management of the global portfolio of grants including:
- Designing the legal framework governing investments of Global Fund grant funds; overseeing and supervising the negotiation and drafting of agreements, contracts, and memoranda of understanding relating to the investment of Global Fund grant funds;
- Ensuring the consistency of Global Fund grants with applicable national and international laws, Board and Committee policies, organizational policy and strategy, and contractual obligations; and
- Overseeing and supervising the provision of legal advice on any matters relating to Global Fund grants, including, but not limited to, the interpretation and enforcement of contractual agreements, identification and mitigation of legal and reputational risks, procurement matters, privileges and immunities, dispute resolution, pursuit of rights and remedies relating to grant implementation, and the work of the Office of the Inspector General;
- Providing strategic direction and oversight over the identification and effective management of legal and reputational risk for the organization. Advising the Management Executive Committee on complex legal and policy issues relating to grant implementation, and overseeing legal matters relating to the global grant portfolio;
- Drawing on deep expertise on the Global Fund’s partnership, governance, and operations across the organization, collaborating regularly with Management Executive Committee members and senior managers from other functions to troubleshoot complex and novel issues with portfolio-wide significance, develop new and innovative initiatives designed to improve the performance and management of the global portfolio of grants, and operationalize new initiatives, tools, and investment channels across the global portfolio;
- Deputizing for the General Counsel on senior management committees responsible for: approving investments of grant funds ; designing and setting policy and new initiatives relating to the global portfolio, including those related to key strategic objectives for the organization; managing risk arising from and overseeing performance of Global Fund investments; and overseeing the management of the global portfolio of grants;
- Supporting the development of policy and strategy matters relating to the investment and performance of Global Fund funds to be adopted by the Global Fund Board and its Committees, as a key contributor in both design and approval; interpreting Board policy and its application to the grant portfolio; working regularly and closely with Management Executive Committee members and senior managers from other functions across the organization to translate the Board’s strategic vision into operations across the global portfolio; and ensuring compliance with Board policy across the global portfolio; and
- Directly advising senior management on complex and sensitive legal issues relating to management of the grant portfolio.
Under the guidance of the General Counsel, the Deputy General Counsel, Grant Management also sets the strategic direction and provides management oversight over a team of 9+ lawyers on the Legal, Grant Management Team. In doing so, they are responsible for:
- Setting a clear strategic vision for the Legal, Grant Management Team, ensuring collaborative and proactive engagement with the Grant Management Division, Finance, Risk, and Supply Operations;
- Establishing clear team objectives, performance goals and deliverables; conducting regular performance assessments; and ensuring professional development of staff;
- Managing strategic resource allocation and the team budget based on agreed organizational needs and priorities, effectively managing resources to ensure the delivery of the team’s objectives; and
- Providing technical and strategic leadership and support to the team, ensuring attainment of expected outcomes as well as continued development of team members.
Subject to change by the Executive Director at any time at their sole discretion.
- Post-graduate degree in Law; preferably in international law, and/or commercial or financing/banking law, or related field.
- Bar admission required.
- At least 10-15 years of relevant experience, including:
- Leadership and management experience (interfacing with senior leadership and senior external stakeholders).
- Substantial experience with all legal aspects of international organization governance, policy, procedures and status.
- Extensive experience in international financial transactions, obtained with an international law firm and/or in the legal department of a commercial, investment or multilateral bank or development institution.
- Experience with management of ethics and integrity risk in the context of international organizations.
Languages: An excellent knowledge of English and preferably a good working knowledge of French or one of the following: Arabic, Chinese, Russian, and Spanish. Knowledge of other languages would be an asset.
- Audit and Investigating
- Country Context
- Disease Knowledge
- Due Diligence
- Geopolitical Awareness
- Global Public Health
- Human Resources
- Human Rights/Gender/Key Populations
- Multicultural Understanding
- Operational Policy
- Procurement and Supply Chain
- Project Management
- Resource mobilization
- Strengthening Systems for Health
Leadership Competencies: Connecting our Vision with Results
- Managing Vision and Purpose
- Strategic Agility
- Dealing with Ambiguity
Partnerships and People
- Motivating Others
- Drive for Results
- Priority Setting
Building Empowerment and Accountability
- Timely Decision Making
- Integrity and Trust
- Interpersonal Diplomacy
- Global Fund awareness and mind-set
- Service orientation
- Drive for results
The Global Fund recruits top-tier talent for our open positions, in support of our mission to end AIDS, tuberculosis and malaria as epidemics.
Explore our vacancies and apply on the Global Fund Careers recruitment system.
More information on working at the Global Fund is available on the Careers section of our main website.
Job Posting End Date
31 July 2022