Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
Posting Title: Data Engineer
Department/Office: Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia
Duty Station: BEIRUT
Posting Period: 05 August 2022 – 29 September 2022
Job Opening Number: 22-Economic and Social Commission for Western Asia-188026-Consultant
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
Result of Service
The objective of this consultancy is to assist in developing data pipelines and architecting software designs and best practices of the Labor Market Information System (LMIS) through liaising with economic experts and data scientists.
The duration of the contract is for 6 months, starting from the signature date of the contract.
Reporting directly to the Chief of ICTS and the Future of work project coordinator, and within limits of delegated authority, the Information Systems consultant (Data Engineer) will be responsible for the following duties:
- Manage projects relating to the development of innovative data solutions including optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of sources into data pipelines, as well as the creation and maintenance of data catalogues and architectures.
- Design and develop solutions for data-related technical problems and data infrastructure needs surfaced by Executive, Analytics and Design teams.
- Developing dashboards with self-service analytics using industry standard technologies and best practices.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc…
- Performing data mining and extraction of large amounts of data.
- Manage the implementation of changes to data systems to ensure compliance with data governance, protection, privacy, and security requirements.
- Leverage a variety of input sources (e.g., databases, flat files, vendor API’s, DaaS (Data as a Service), custom applications) to populate different data solutions that drive better decision-making and prioritization within the organization and to Member States.
- Perform server maintenance and installation for any packages that is needed to achieve the desired goals.
- Develop training materials, operating and user manuals; train staff in assigned systems.
- Provide guidance to, and supervise, staff, consultants, ICs, etc.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Chief of ICTS.
Academic Qualifications: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in computer science, information systems, statistics, applied mathematics, data management, information science or a related quantitative field is required.
A first-level university degree in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
Experience: A minimum of five years of progressively responsible experience in data management, integration, modeling, optimization, and other relevant areas is required.
A minimum of five years of experience in designing data integration and pipeline architectures, which must include ingesting data through different methods such as message queues, database connections,
flat files, REST, or specific API’s is required.
A minimum of five years of experience developing well-organized and insightful reports, dashboards, data mining, and other forms of data visualizations and data manipulation languages and tools (e.g., using Python, SQL, R, PowerBI, etc.) in support of strategic, tactical, and operational business decisions and special purposes uses is required.
Proven experience in Python and Node is desirable.
Proven experience in relational SQL and NoSQL including Postgress and MongoDB is desirable.
Experience with distributed systems and cloud services platform with an ecosystem of data integration/quality control (e.g. ETL), data storage, processing, and visualization tools is desirable.
A minimum of two years of experience in DevOps tool chains consisting of tools like Git, Jenkins, or Bamboo – or equivalent tools – and experience with the deployment of data pipelines is desirable.
A minimum of two years of experience in delivering big data use cases, including projects using technology such as Apache Spark, kafka, Hadoop or others is desirable.
A minimum of two years of experience in Artificial Intelligence, particularly Machine Learning techniques for data mining and extraction of large amounts of data is desirable.
Experience with the use of Machine Learning techniques for economic and social use cases is an advantage.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. Arabic is also a working language of ESCWA. For the post advertised, fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic is required.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING). THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CONCERN ITSELF WITH INFORMATION ON APPLICANTS’ BANK ACCOUNTS.