UNDP - United Nations Development Programme
UNDP Indonesia Country Office
Job Identification : 7981
Locations : Jakarta Pusat, Indonesia
Posting Date : 01/18/2023, 09:15 PM
Apply Before : 02/02/2023, 04:59 AM
Job Schedule : Full time
Agency : UNDP
Grade : NOD
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Practice Area : Economics
Bureau : Regional Bureau for Asia and the Pacific
Contract Duration : 1 Year
Education & Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 7 year(s) experience OR Bachelor’s Degree – 9 year(s) experience
Required Languages : Fluency in oral and written English is essential
Mobility required/no mobility
no mobility required
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
UNDP is the leading United Nations organization in fighting to end the injustice of poverty, inequality, and climate change. Working with our broad network of experts and partners in 170 countries, we help nations to build integrated, lasting solutions for people and planet. Learn more at undp.org or follow at @UNDP.
In the programme countries, UNDP supports stabilization, state-building, governance and development priorities in in partnership with the host governments, the United Nations system, the development partners and other partners to help the country to achieve sustainable development by eradicating poverty in all its forms and dimensions, accelerating structural transformations for sustainable development and building resilience to crises and shock.
In addition, UNDP now has the mandate to support SDG Integration to ensure faster progress on sustainable development and offers support in four areas, (1) integrated policy and programming solutions, (2) SDG metrics, data and analysis using state-of-the-art tools for modelling and forecasting, (3) knowledge and innovation and (4) SDG Financing options to help countries identify innovative ways to expand public and private contributions to reach the 2030 agenda. Lastly, the COVID-19 pandemic has also highlighted an urgent need to adopt a Systems Approach that is orientated towards building Resilience to future shocks through continuously reviewed scenario analyses.
In Indonesia, UNDP operates within the framework of the Country Programme Document 2021-25 that focuses on 1) inclusive social development; 2) economic transformation; 3) environmental protection and disaster risk reduction; and 4) innovation for development. UNDP office in Indonesia is known to spearhead within UNDP’s global community in areas such as innovative SDG financing, digital health, energy transition and carbon pricing, and integrated COVID response that promotes inclusive and green recovery. In all these areas, UNDP Indonesia has generated wealth of studies and information, based upon which deeper socio-economic analyses and policy dialogues/recommendations could be developed and facilitated – a potential that UNDP has yet to have realized. This way UNDP Indonesia aspires to better demonstrate its thought-leadership in the areas of Indonesia’s critical development priorities
The Economist works under the guidance of the UNDP Resident Representative and Deputy Resident Representative in the country and s/he will work closely with the programme and operations teams in the Country Office, Accelerator Lab, and staff in the Regional Bureau of Asia and the Pacific as well as the Global Policy Network (GPN), based in Bangkok and New York. S/he will also collaborate with the Asia-Pacific regional network of country economists. This will include systematic engagement with and oversight from the lead regional economic advisors based in Bangkok and New York. S/he is also expected to develop and maintain a professional network across development partner agencies, government institutions, the private sector, and civil society at the country level.
The country economist will provide advice the UNDP country office management and programme team to strengthen programme development and implementation; provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies; advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate, when directed by the Resident Representative; contribute to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas.
Duties and Responsibilities
Advice the UNDP country office management and programme team to strengthen programme development and implementation
- Advise UNDP country office management with preparation and implementation of country programmes and strategies, including the development of country programme document and related analysis;
- Support UNDP country office teams to develop and manage relevant thematic portfolios, such as activities to support inclusive growth and progress towards the SDGs;
- Leading UNDP country office efforts to conceptualize and implement the Development Finance Assessment (DFA) and accompanying process and use existing financial resources more effectively and efficiently to achieve the SDGs;
- Provide analysis and research in priority thematic areas at the country level, including publication of policy briefs or other analytical outputs;
- Support the preparation of policy briefs, background notes, speeches, talking points, presentation materials, etc. on critical development issues within the SDG framework for senior management at the country and regional levels;
- Lead the development of National Human Development Report (HDR) and ensure that it provides added value in terms of development economic analysis, updated data and information for policy formulation;
- Compile and analyze statistical data as required in support of country strategies and activities;
- Collaborate across UNDP teams, especially to ensure linkages to the work emerging from the network of acceleration labs;
- Support the creation of large-scale development solutions to help address complex development challenges;
- Lead the expansion of country office service offers on financing for development, including innovative financing models and country specific/sector specific studies.
Provision of technical advice to national government counterparts and other partners, especially in support of the 2030 Agenda and the introduction of sustainable and inclusive economic policies:
- Advise and facilitate dialogue on sustainable development issues with government officials, development partners, civil society, and the private sector;
- Provide policy and programming advice and support for development planning and policy formulation at the national, sub-national and local levels;
- Support the identification and analysis of interventions that can impact multiple development goals and targets at the same time;
- Support monitoring and reporting of progress related to SDGs and other national development frameworks, including to help strengthen national and local level data collection and statistical capacity;
- Support to leverage UNDP’s regional and global programmes, to provide holistic and effective support to the country;
- Leverage support and expertise from the UNDP’s global/regional Economist networks to assist in strengthening UNDP’s support on economic analysis and policy development to Government and the UN Country Team.
Representation, advocacy, and partner engagement to support UNDP’s institutional positioning and advance its mandate:
- Contribute, in close collaboration with senior management, to the development and/or strengthening of partnerships with UN agencies, IFIs, bilateral development agencies, private sector entities, and civil society;
- When delegated, represent UNDP country office in relevant forums, conferences or workshops, including to present research or programmatic results;
- Assist the Resident Representative in resource mobilization and future growth strategies and contribute to the design of large-scale programme and development solutions;
- Contribute to national, regional, and global knowledge networks and communities of practice
Contribution to UNDP’s work across the Asia-Pacific region, including collaboration with the regional economist network and analysis of priority regional thematic areas:
- Participate actively in the UNDP Asia-Pacific regional network of economists, through attending regional meetings (in-person and/or virtual), sharing relevant experiences, and conducting peer reviews;
- Collaborate and contribute to regional publications, practice notes, and Regional Human Development Reports;
- Substantively contribute as possible to UNDP regional knowledge products and development of programming offers in regional priority areas (e.g., inequality, future of work, innovative financing);
- Enhance UNDP’s understanding and design of new approaches to sustainable development across the region by acting as a regional thematic lead where possible.
Supervisory/Managerial Responsibilities: None
- Core Innovation : Ability to make new and useful ideas work. Level 5: Creates new and relevant ideas and leads others to implement them
- Leadership: Ability to persuade others to follow. Level 5: Plans and acts transparently, actively works to removes barriers
- People Management: Ability to improve performance and satisfaction. Level 5: Models high professional standards and motivates excellence in others
- Communication: Ability to listen, adapt, persuade and transform. Level 5: Gains trust of peers, partners, clients by presenting complex concepts in practical terms to others
- Delivery: Ability to get things done while exercising good judgement. Level 5:Critically assesses value and relevance of existing policy / practice and contributes to enhanced delivery of products, services, and innovative solutions
- Economics: Knowledge of economics concepts, principles and policies and ability to apply to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Information Systems & Technology: Knowledge of IST innovations and concepts and ability to apply them to strategic and/or practical situations. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Strategic thinking/Visioning: Ability to analyse the organization’s value proposition and shape visionary/long term plans. Use insight to identify target audiences and partners and to inform communication objectives, messages and solutions. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
- Collaboration and Partnership: Ability to develop, maintain, and strengthen partnerships with others inside (Programmes/projects) or outside the organization who can provide information, assistance, and support. Sets overall direction for the formation and management of strategic relationships contributing to the overall positioning of UNDP. Level 5: Originate: Catalyzes new ideas, methods, and applications to pave a path for innovation and continuous improvement in professional area of expertise
Required Skills and Experience
- Master’s Degree (or equivalent) in Economics or related fields OR Bachelors degree with additional 2 years experiences will be given due consideration in lieu of Master’s degree.
- Ph.D. in Economics will be an advantage.
- Minimum of 7 years for Master’s or 9 years for Bachelors, experience at the national or international level in relevant areas of economic research and policy and implementation support;
- Extensive experience in research and policy-level analysis;
- Proven policy, advisory and advocacy experience;
- Experience in preparing high quality policy briefs and guidance notes for use by senior policy makers;
- Experience of strategic visioning with strong technical and highly developed analytical capabilities;
- Knowledge of the SDGs and their application at the national level, politically astute with demonstrated experience in stakeholder analysis and engagement;
- Experience in handling of web-based management systems and advanced software programmes for statistical analysis of data;
- Previous work experience in Asia and the Pacific region would be an asset.
- Fluency in oral and written English is essential
- Fluency in the official language of the duty station is an advantage.
Please note that continuance of appointment beyond the initial 12 months is contingent upon the successful completion of a probationary period.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.