UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
Job Identification : 6426
Locations : Copenhagen, Denmark
Posting Date : 10/14/2022, 05:54 PM
Apply Before : 11/03/2022, 10:59 PM
Job Schedule : Full time
Grade : G6
Vacancy Type : Fixed Term
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Education and Work Experience : High School certificate
Required Languages : English
Vacancy Timeline : 3 Weeks
Job Category : Administration/Operations/Support
<highlights about position>
You will report to <Position Title>
The Procurement Associate position is located in Supply Chain Management Unit (SCMU) of the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) in Copenhagen. The incumbent reports to the HQ Team Lead and the Procurement Specialist at SCMU who serve the corporate procurement and contracting needs of UNFPA. The area of responsibility of the position is to support the corporate planning, procurement & contracts needs at Headquarter level related to UNFPAs mandate. The Procurement Associate works in close collaboration with operations’, programme and project staff and performs contracting & procurement activities in accordance to the organization’s mandate, financial rules and regulations, and procurement procedures of UNFPA as well as resolving complex procurement-related issues and information exchange. The Procurement Associate will ensure the execution of transparent and efficient procurement services and processes in the SCMU for the different HQ Business Units under his/her area of responsibility. The Procurement Associate position will promote a client-focused, quality and results-oriented approach in the branch in accordance with Financial Rules and Regulation and Procurement procedures of the UNFPA. The incumbent, in addition, provides support to the implementation of key SCMU projects.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
In direct support of UNFPA’s strategy to achieve the International Conference on Population and Development (ICPD) goals and the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and under the supervision and guidance of the HQ Team Lead, the Procurement Associate will assist to ensure the effective and efficient implementation of procurement and contracting processes in accordance with Financial Rules and Regulation and Procurement procedures of the UNFPA for the provision of the following services:
- Administration, execution and coordination of cost-effective procurement services in the area of contracts and long term agreements in support of UNFPA operations
- Administration, execution and coordination of supplier management activities
- Advice and guidance to UNFPA Business Units/County Offices and other parties on procurement processes and procedures
- Building the organization’s procurement and logistics capacity
Perform other job related duties as assigned Main Tasks & Responsibilities Summary of Key Functions:
- Administration, execution and coordination cost-effective procurement services in the area of contracts and long term agreements in support of UNFPA operations
- Administration, execution and coordination supplier management activities Provide advice and guidance to HQ Business Units and other parties on procurement processes and procedures
- Capacity building in procurement and logistics management to UNFPA HQ Business Units and co-operating agencies and external Reproductive health (RH) commodity partners.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned
Administration, execution, and coordination cost-effective procurement services in the area of contracts and long-term agreements in support of UNFPA operations.
- Analyze UNFPAs Procurement Plans; communicate with the corresponding UNFPA Business Units/Country Offices to ensure correctness of the data entered into the Procurement Plan tool, clarity of the specifications, appropriateness of the goods or services, quantities, delivery requirements and dates, special requirements;
- Preparation of Expressions of Interest (EOI), Requests for Quotations (RFQs), Invitation to Bids (ITBs)/Request for Proposals (RFPs). Assisting in responding to all request for bid clarifications from the prospective bidder while ensuring transparency of the process, evaluate bids received and review recommendations from the technical panel and financial panel ensuring that the evaluation process is performed consistent with the requirement specified in the bid, prepare Contracts Review Committee (CRC) submissions whenever applicable and/or negotiations with suppliers to ensure that the most cost effective proposals are selected; Conduct tenders on behalf of the UNFPA;
- Consult with requestor/Technical Division on specifications, advise on best processes and initiate purchase procedures;
- Conduct market research to identify potential suppliers for goods and services to be procured; Run solicitation processes on behalf of UNFPA;
- Award Contracts and post awards in all necessary locations, as well as non-award notices;
- Debrief unsuccessful bidders, if required and resolve issues and problems that may arise as a result of disqualification;
- Negotiate with suppliers for direct contracting situations in accordance with UNFPA financial rules and regulations;
- Negotiate with suppliers when problems of different natures arise, requesting compensation measures/discounts;
- Participate in the negotiation of Collaboration Agreements (MoU) with other UN Agencies or International Institutions such as the World Bank, including the review of UNFPA legal documents (e.g. General Conditions of Contract, Financial Rules and Regulations) to make proposals for special conditions that can accommodate external partners’ requests, respecting the UNFPA legal framework;
- Work on special projects within his/her allocated Commodity portfolio, such as procurement of new innovative methods and implementation of market shaping or innovation projects. This also includes conducting market research and selecting the appropriate procurement method;
- Monitor and follow-up with Country Focal Points to ensure that they evaluate the performance of suppliers with respect to on-time delivery, communication, quality and commercial acceptability;
- Ensure that all correspondence and documents related to procurement activities are properly filed in the designated e-filing system. Maintain and monitor the development of all procurement cases using electronic sheets;
- Assist in transformational and strategic projects of the team, as applicable;
- Administer long-term agreement (LTA) process throughout the entire procurement cycle, in accordance with UNFPA’s Procurement and Financial Policies, Rules, and Regulation including but not limited to: Needs definition, Specifications development, Market research, Prequalified supplier list maintenance, Preparation of tender documents and coordinating the relevant stakeholders, Tender issuance, Coordinate the technical evaluation of offers, Perform the financial and final evaluation of offers, Presentation to the Contracts Review Committee, Award of Contracts Negotiate Contract conditions Contract issuance, Vendor performance evaluation.
- Ensure information of products and services is up to date in the ERP system; ensure the update is communicated to owners of other relevant applications for timely update as well;
- Liaise with other UN agencies to obtain information on existing LTAs and contracts available for use to meet UNFPA requirements. Manage piggyback process if required in accordance to UNFPA’s business needs;
- Collaborate with other UN Agencies or other partners on joint market exploration and joint sourcing work with other internal stakeholders to understand procurement needs and take the lead to establish new LTAs in support of new programmes. Maintain close communication with Quality Assurance and Technical Division on products update and take active participation in communication unit’s activities;
- Administer, execute and coordinate full contracting activities related to UNFPA mandate commodity and service categories;
- Collect production capacities and product registration status;
- Ensure procurement plans are complete and used in communications and planning with key suppliers; Manage spend analysis, market research, cost analysis, price indicator, saving logs and supply positioning of core and non-core commodities and services;
- Manage effective negotiations with suppliers;
- Establish in-kind donation agreement in line with the result of negotiation with suppliers
- Ensure, coordinate and perform ERP related tasks such as e-tendering, data entry in Contract Management Modules and Procurement Modules in an efficient and timely manner.
Administration of the supplier management activities:
- Administer supplier and contract management activities, including establishing key performance indicators (KPIs) and service level agreements (SLAs) to measure suppliers’ performance, conduct supplier performance evaluation, organize performance feedback and improvement, develop new suppliers; Work in collaboration with UNFPA Country Focal Points, liaise with customers and suppliers to investigate and follow up on any chronic issues to ensure compliance with contract conditions and customer satisfaction; provide advice, support to Country Focal Points on any contractual related problems, negotiate with suppliers to resolve the problems if needed;
- Administer an accurate and active supplier and contract base in support of UNFPA procurement requirements;
- Develop and implement supplier management strategy and strategic sourcing in relation with supply positioning analysis and spend report analysis;
- Periodically report to SCMU and specifically to the Country Focal points the supplier management strategy set in place for the corresponding commodity;
- Work together with the Reproductive Health Supplies Coalition and/or any other UN Agency to efficiently manage suppliers;
- Carry out supplier monitoring visits and support on factory inspections;
- Execute and coordinates review, updates and maintenance in key contract management tools.
Advice and guidance to UNFPA Business Units and other parties on his/her allocated portfolio in relation to procurement processes and procedures:
- Investigate and follow-up on all procurement related inquiries submitted by the different Business Units, other UNFPA departments and/or clients, and provide prompt responses;
- Create awareness on the importance of procurement and procurement planning to deliver in line with the UNFPA mandate;
- Communicate changes in procurement processes and procedures as well as updates in the relating financial procedures, providing clarifications and guidance as required;
- Monitor requests and ensure compliance with the mandate of UNFPA and procurement procedures; take action in case of violation;
- Advise UNFPA Business Units on system-related questions, such as use of ERP system and in their procurement planning, in terms of their relevance, specifications, prices and others;
- Assist in development of capacity building missions/training tools for country offices and government officials and deliver training packages on procurement and logistics to counterparts as well as to new staff/secondment colleagues upon request;
- Work with the team lead, other members of the team, Country Offices and other partners as applicable in streamlining the procurement function of the COs through initiatives such as generating country-specific strategies;
Building the organization’s procurement and logistics capacity. Contracts Associate role:
- Contribute with regular inputs for the improvement of UNFPA procurement procedures and SoPs;
- Conduct procurement related webinars corresponding to his/her allocated commodity for UNFPA Business Units;
- Provide information, advice, and guidance on all aspects of procurement including commodity types, procurement activities, processes, and procedures to UNFPA personnel, co-operating agencies and recipient programs;
- Develop training curriculum, organize and conduct training on procurement procedures, tools and practices where applicable;
- Work in liaising with other UN and external organizations to share knowledge, policies, and practices to update industry information;
- Contribute to UN Procurement Reform through joint sourcing, resource sharing initiatives;
- Contribute and ensure timely support to SCMU’s ISO processes and related internal audits, assessments/audits carried out by third party stakeholders, metrics, process improvement and documentation;
- Represent UNFPA in Business Seminars, meetings with donors and other events as require
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned Carry out any other duties as may be required by UNFPA leadership.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Completion of secondary education is required
- A university degree at bachelor level in related field* or equivalent is an advantage, preferably with a focus on business administration, economics, procurement and logistics or related fields.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Minimum 6 years of relevant work experience is required, preferably in public or private sector procurement, logistics, marketing, public or business administration, commercial or law related disciplines or program at local level, preferably in organizations working in international development or public sector institutions. Experience from non-governmental organizations, non-profit organizations and private sector will be treated equivalent.
- Master’s degree in combination with 4 years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of 6 years of work experience
- CIPS 2 Certificate or higher and/or any equivalent certification program are an advantage.
- Experience in international, public procurement or contracts and supplier management is an advantage.
- Experience in managing bid processes to set up long term agreement for complex products and/or services; experience in item and category management.
- Experience with UN procurement, finance and contracting regulations and procedures will be an advantage.
- Knowledge of UNFPA’s mandate is an advantage.
- Knowledge of legal aspects of contract management is an advantage.
- Excellent working knowledge of MS Office (in particular, applications related to database and data analysis), ERP systems such as PeopleSoft or alternatively Oracle, E-filing system and other software applications is an advantage.
- Fluency in English is required;
- Knowledge of other official UN languages, preferably French and/or Spanish, is an advantage.
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
- Job knowledge/Technical expertise
- Making decisions and exercising judgment
- Managing data
- Managing information and workflow
- Managing documents and reports
- Planning, organizing and multi-tasking
- Innovation and marketing of new approaches
- Client orientation
- Communication and negotiation skills
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package including a competitive net salary plus health insurance and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline (link)