HIV/STI Strategic Information and Prevention, and treatment activities
( 2104183 )
Contractual Arrangement : External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : One to three months depending on scope of work of the assignment.
Job Posting: Aug 31, 2021, 8:46:10 PM
This requisition is for employment at the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO)
Document prepared by the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO)/Regional Office of the World Health Organization (WHO) for the Americas
The Department of Communicable Diseases and Environmental Determinants of Health (CDE) promotes, coordinates and implements technical cooperation activities directed toward the surveillance, prevention, control, elimination and/or reduction of communicable diseases, zoonoses, and environmental threats to health that are technically sound and appropriate for the political and sociocultural context in which they are implemented.
Within CDE, the HIV, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Sexually Transmitted Infections Unit (CDE/HT) is implementing the Strategic Data Initiative (SDI). This project, supported by the Global Fund, seeks to strengthen the coverage and quality of strategic HIV information, as well as the HIV/STI programmatic response and care and prevention services to help countries achieve elimination of these diseases.
To promote and generate local capacity in the aforementioned areas, PAHO seeks to identify consultants to work on a regular basis during implementation of the DSI in the period 2021-2023.
PURPOSE OF THE CONSULTANCY
The selected consultants will receive training in the field in specific activities detailed in the “DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES” section. Once trained, consultants will have the opportunity to work with PAHO on strengthening HIV/STI strategic information and prevention and care in the countries of the region.
Description of duties:
Under the general supervision of the HIV, Hepatitis, Tuberculosis, and Sexually Transmitted Infections Unit chief (CDE/HT), and the direct supervision of the Strategic Information Advisors for HIV, Viral Hepatitis, TB, and STI and HIV/STI Care and Treatment, the selected consultants will be responsible for some of the following duties, according to needs arising from technical cooperation with countries:
- Provide timely technical support to implement activities included in the “Strategic Data Initiative 2021-2023” project work plan.
- Analyze data on the HIV epidemic and country response, disaggregated by sex, age, geographic area, and key population group.
- Provide technical support to strategic information directors in the countries to improve information generation and use.
- Organize and lead workshops to analyze HIV care and prevention cascades disaggregated by TB/HIV, pregnant women, key population, age, geographical location, etc.
- Provide technical support to country missions for the implementation of work plans to strengthen information systems for services aimed at key populations and people living with HIV.
- Support the development and adaptation of policy guidelines and tools that support PAHO’s technical cooperation with countries, such as protocols for the assessment of HIV response, sentinel surveillance guidelines, and data use guidelines.
- Support PAHO in conducting comprehensive assessments of the HIV response in the Latin American and Caribbean region, following standardized and agreed protocols between PAHO and the Global Fund.
- Support PAHO in conducting comprehensive assessments of the functionality of HIV information systems to generate essential indicators to monitor the response.
- Collect updated information on people in treatment, regimens, treatment methods, causes of change, and other programmatic data related to care in clinics.
- Provide direct support to countries in the implementation of tools to calculate the resources needed for PrEP and treatment transition (quantmed).
Essential: Different levels of university degrees, depending on the level of the assignment for which the consultant is selected, in a health-related field of medicine, epidemiology, statistics, computer science, or other related disciplines.
Desirable: Additional specialization or training in HIV or STIs.
In the event that your candidature is retained for an interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO, only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) PAHO will also use the databases of the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (link) and College Navigator, found on the website of the National Centre for Educational Statistics, (link) to support the validation process.
Essential: At least 3 – 5 years for junior level assignments, and 7 – 9 years for higher level assignments, of national and/or international experience working with government institutions, academic organizations, health service providers, civil society organizations, or other cooperation agencies that work with strategic information and assessment of HIV response and HIV/STI prevention and treatment.
Use of language skills:
Essential: Advanced/Mother tongue knowledge of Spanish or English (depending on the country where consultancy takes place).
Desirable: In addition to advanced/mother tongue knowledge of English or Spanish, working knowledge of the other language would be an asset.
Excellent command of Microsoft Office 365 applications, particularly Excel and bibliographic reference programs.
Ability to conduct descriptive statistical analyses. Knowledge of visualization tools is desirable, although not required (tableau, power bi, etc.)
Excellent writing skills and ability to communicate results to PAHO in succinct reports.
Different levels of remuneration, depending on the nature of work and specific assignment. The pay scale will be made based on a daily fee depending on the selected consultant’s expertise and years of experience. This is in accordance with the PAHO/WHO remuneration scales for international consultants.
Dependent on the specific assignment
One to three months depending on scope of work of the assignment.
Place of Assignment:
To be determined
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted for assessment and interview (which will take place remotely).
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- Any appointment/extension of appointment is subject to PAHO/WHO Regulations, and e-Manual.
- For information on PAHO please visit: (link)
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. PAHO/WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- PAHO/WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- PAHO/WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between PAHO and the Consultant.
- PAHO/WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by PAHO/WHO.
- Only applications submitted through our online recruitment tool (Stellis) will be accepted. Applications must be completed in English and include a cover letter. Application profiles must include details of all work experience to date (full career details).
- Office WHO Geneva, Switzerland