UNFPA - United Nations Population Fund
UNFPA in Kathmandu, Nepal
Job Identification : 7380
Locations : Kathmandu, Nepal
Posting Date : 12/16/2022, 04:32 AM
Apply Before : 12/29/2022, 05:59 AM
Job Schedule : Part time
Vacancy Type : Individual Consultancy
Rotational/Non Rotational : Non-Rotational
Contract Duration : 11 months
Education and Work Experience : Master’s Degree – 15 year(s) experience
Required Languages : English
Vacancy Timeline : 2 Weeks
Job Category : Communications
The consultant will be expected to provide on-going support in strategic communications, communications planning, development of concept notes and proposals, corporate reporting and public engagement (political and programme briefs, talking points, speeches, press releases etc) under the direction of the country office leadership.
You will report to UNFPA Representative.
How you can make a difference:
UNFPA is the lead UN agency for delivering a world where every pregnancy is wanted, every childbirth is safe and every young person’s potential is fulfilled. UNFPA’s strategic plan (2022-2025), reaffirms the relevance of the current strategic direction of UNFPA and focuses on three transformative results: to end preventable maternal deaths; end unmet need for family planning; and end gender-based violence and harmful practices. These results capture our strategic commitments on accelerating progress towards realizing the ICPD and SDGs in the Decade of Action leading up to 2030. Our strategic plan calls upon UN Member States, organizations and individuals to “build forward better”, while addressing the negative impacts of the Covid-19 pandemic on women’s and girls’ access to sexual and reproductive health and reproductive rights, recover lost gains and realize our goals.
In a world where fundamental human rights are at risk, we need principled and ethical staff, who embody these international norms and standards, and who will defend them courageously and with full conviction.
UNFPA is seeking candidates that transform, inspire and deliver high impact and sustained results; we need staff who are transparent, exceptional in how they manage the resources entrusted to them and who commit to deliver excellence in programme results.
Under the overall supervision of the Country Representative, direct supervision of the Deputy Representative and in close collaboration with the communications and relevant thematic teams, the consultant will support the delivery of high quality and strategic communications.
You would be responsible for:
- Develop a strategic plan and communications plan for the country office and liaise with programmes to ensure complementarity across activities and outcomes.
- Support the drafting of communication products highlighting priority policy issues for the UNFPA country office ensuring clear and consistent messaging (political and programme briefs, talking points, speeches, press releases, stories from beneficiaries etc.)
- Support the drafting of corporate and programme reporting of results in line with donor requirements.
- Provide support on development of concept notes, project proposals and/or project document(s) for potential donors.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Minimum master’s degree, in communications, journalism or related field is required while a PhD could be an asset;
- A thorough understanding of the UN system in general, and especially UNFPA mandate, policies and operations.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Min 15 years of professional experience in international development and communications including in strategic communications for resource mobilization, advocacy or policy development.
- Experience in drafting speeches, briefings and information notes for high level representatives.
- Experience in drafting annual results reporting and liaising with the creative community on design and layout development.
- Min 10 years of strong track record in the development of programming including drafting project documents, concept notes and programme briefs for UN agencies, and a thorough understanding of corporate and donor requirements for results-based reporting.
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience on requirements and trends of bilateral and multilateral development partners.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in working with the government at national and sub-national levels on complex issues.
- Min 7 years of experience of working in South Asia Region.
- Fluency in English
- Exemplifying integrity,
- Demonstrating commitment to UNFPA and the UN system,
- Embracing cultural diversity,
- Embracing change
- Achieving results,
- Being accountable,
- Developing and applying professional expertise/business acumen,
- Thinking analytically and strategically,
- Working in teams/managing ourselves and our relationships,
Compensation and Benefits:
This position offers an attractive remuneration package and other benefits as applicable.
UNFPA does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Fraudulent notices, letters or offers may be submitted to the UNFPA fraud hotline (link) UNFPA is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture amongst others. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.