United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
UNOPS in Cotabato City
Background Information – UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development. UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. Background Information – Philippines Established in 2016, UNOPS Philippines provides expert support to ensure sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure activities in projects. With funds from the European Union (EU), UNOPS supports the Supreme Court, the Department of Justice, and the Department of the Interior and Local Government under the Governance in Justice (GOJUST) Programme (GOJUST2) through procurement, logistics, and grants management to push forward the justice reform agenda of the Philippine government through innovations and interventions; as well as providing grants to civil society organisations to improve access to justice of marginalised groups. In the Support to the Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) Programme, UNOPS is working with the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region of Muslim Mindanao (BARMM) Government strengthening capacities of the executive, legislative and judicial branches to ensure a smooth transition, also with funds from the EU. In the health sector, UNOPS works with the Korean International Cooperation Agency (KOICA) for the construction of health facilities in Eastern Samar, and with the DOH / ADB in the HEAL project (Health System Enhancement to Address and Limit COVID-19). The UNOPS Philippines Office is part of the UNOPS Cambodia Multi-Country Officer (KHMCO), which provides oversight, support and services to UNOPS operations in the country offices. UNOPS Philippines is in the process of expanding its area of engagement in cooperation with its development partners, focusing mainly on a portfolio of projects and programs in the infrastructure, logistics management, procurement in health, rule of law, and governance sectors and subsequently is looking for qualified and committed experts.
Background Information – Job Specific The Support to Bangsamoro Transition (SUBATRA) (The Action) aims to contribute to the smooth and timely undertaking of the transitional government process through strengthening of the capabilities and capacities of the 3 branches of the Bangsamoro Government. Promoting a good enabling and governance environment will ensure the efficient development and implementation of policies consistent with the transition plan, focusing on the enhancement of capacities that are critical for a sound functioning of interim institutions. The overall EU Action is specifically focused upon 4 defined lines of effort:
- Strengthening the capacity of the BTA’s (Bangsamoro Transition Authority) executive branch superstructure to drive and coordinate key transitional policies;
- Strengthening the capacity of the Parliament to exercise its law making and oversight functions;
- Strengthening the capacity of the Justice System to adjudicate litigations and improve access to justice;
- Strengthening the capacity of civil society to contribute to a peaceful transition to the Bangsamoro Autonomous Region for Muslim Mindanao.
These 4 lines of effort are in turn focused upon delivering 4 Results from the overall EU Action:
- Result 1: enhanced capacity of the BTA’s Executive Branch to efficiently handle the transition through improved institutional superstructure to plan, impulse and monitor transitional policies as well as enhanced capacity of the administrative machinery, especially key governance ministries, to implement policies and deliver basic social services.
- Result 2: enhanced capacity of the Bangsamoro Parliament to exercise its law making, oversight and representation functions.
- Result 3: enhanced capacity of the multifaceted Bangsamoro Justice System to adjudicate.
- Result 4: enhanced capacity of the civil society to contribute to a peaceful transition to BARMM.
The EU Action was signed with UNOPS in August 2020 and has a duration of five years, with an ongoing inception phase in Q1 of 2021 (and a further planned transition period to last until 2022, when the new elections for the new Bangsamoro Government is held at the same time as the national elections). The EU Action will be implemented not only during the transition, but also during the post-transition phase as well, thus ensuring a seamless crossover to the elected Bangsamoro Government. UNOPS has been contracted as an Implementing Partner to provide support to specific and necessary components of the Action, namely Procurement, Logistical and Administrative Support Services, Communications and Visibility, and Infrastructure Management, as well as overall Project Management backstopping and oversight. The Action will contribute to improving the capacity of the BTA to efficiently implement the transition, according to the provisions of the BOL – the latter being essential for peace consolidation in Mindanao. This is the cornerstone of the core Bangsamoro self-reliance and self-determination for effective autonomy during the transition. IT IS A LOCAL POSITION, SO ONLY FILIPINO IS ELIGIBLE TO APPLY.
Under the overall supervision of the Project Manager, the Construction Engineering Technician – Senior Associate is expected to support the implementation of the project activities through the provision of technical expertise and the application of best practices in the project implementation. The Construction Engineering Technician – Senior Associate, who is expected to be working in the Project Site office, will assist the Construction Management Engineer to oversee implementation of contracted works in conforming to the technical specifications of UNOPS. Any situation that may require decision making which will involve changes in the designs and plan will be brought to the notice of the Project Manager with details of issues encountered at site and appropriate recommendations. Specifically, the Construction Engineering Technician – Senior Associate will be responsible to support site engineers for supervision of contractors and other tasks on several construction sites and shall perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Report and recommend remedial actions regarding potential delays and/or cost overruns to the Construction Management Engineer.
- Assist in supervision of the project work progress and quality for on-time project delivery.
- Assist on Monitoring and measure the works progress through the agreed Bill of Quantities (BoQ) as per the contract.
- Provide data and information about project work to the Construction Management Engineer for reporting purposes.
- Provide summary of received weekly and monthly reports from site engineers to the Construction Management Engineer detailing all project matters including quality, health and safety, environmental and financial, as well as any issues relating to possible delays, cost overruns, variations and any other matter as agreed with the Head of Office.
- As tasked by the Construction Management Engineer, assist in supervision of construction works and works execution as per the contractual provisions and the design specifications.
- Assist on the overall management of works implementation to ensure construction works are completed on time, within budget and to quality standards.
- Provide regular support of the project work progress and quality for on time delivery.
- Assist the Construction Management Engineer in the preparation of project/contracts related documentations such as periodic progress reports, site monitoring reports, stakeholder meeting minutes, engineer’s instructions and variation orders, contractor’s bills review reports, certifications, client hand-over documents and contracts close-out reports.
- Oversee dimensional control and site surveying works, engineering control of the works etc.
- Support on the preparation of the pre-solicitation documents for tendering of the infrastructure projects such as the scope of works, technical specifications, bill of quantities and drawings.
Knowledge sharing and management
- Contribute to the project evaluation process; highlight challenges associated with the project and feedback into a continuous improvement cycle.
- Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for development planning and knowledge building.
- Participate in the relevant Communities of Practice, actively interact with other Engineers and the Engineering community to share case studies, lessons learned and best practice on the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy, supporting guidance with an aim towards continuous improvement of UNOPS policies.
- Ensure accurate and timely reporting of progress and conditions on site through daily site records prepared and submitted by the engineering team.
- Produce any appropriate documentation identified by the Project Manager and Construction Management Engineer in a professional and accurate manner.
Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behavior. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- Completion of Secondary education or equivalent is required.
- A University Degree, preferably in Civil Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management or another relevant technical discipline, is an advantage and can substitute for some of the required years of experience.
- License/Board Certification in Engineering is desirable.
- Prince2, PMP or similar project management certification is an asset.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in civil works design, quality assurance/ control, supervision or implementation of buildings construction projects in the Philippines with secondary/high school education; 3 years of relevant experience is required in combination with a Bachelor’s degree and 1 year of relevant experience required in combination with a Master’s.
- Comprehensive knowledge in computer software, particularly “AutoCAD” (latest Versions – 2009 and higher), MS Project scheduling or Primavera Project Planner is desirable.
- Familiarity with EU and other International Organizations funded projects (and their management and reporting requirements) is highly desirable.
- High proficiency with computers, and other software/ platforms related to the position’s field of expertise is desirable.
- Experience in working with the G-Suite platform including, Google Drive, Google Calendar, Gmail, Google Sheets, Docs, and Slides is desired.
- Fluency in both written and spoken English is desired.
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type: Local Individual Contract Agreement (LICA)
- Contract level: LICA 7
- Contract duration: On-going and subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds, and satisfactory performance
- Duty Station: Cotabato, Philippines. Cotabato is a non-family duty station. The personnel are responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link: (link)-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- UNOPS embraces diversity and it is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all its employees and encourages qualified candidates to apply irrespective of race, colour, national origin, ethnic or social background, genetic information, gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, religion or belief, or disability.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization – UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- For retainer contracts, you must complete a few Mandatory Courses (around 4 hours) in your own time, before providing services to UNOPS.
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- All UNOPS personnel are responsible for performing their duties in accordance with the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNOPS Policies and Instructions, as well as other relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, all personnel must demonstrate an understanding of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in a manner consistent with UN core values and the UN Common Agenda.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns. Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.