Computational Economics Expert (Contractual) – ITD
Work for the IMF. Work for the World.
Under the direction of a Platforms Family Owner, this Computational Economics Expert serves as a member of the Econometric Modeling, Big Data, AI & ML Platforms Family, and provides Fund-wide services on Computational Economics using computer-based economic, econometric and machine learning modeling for the solution of economic problems related to the Fund’s business capabilities of surveillance, lending, and capacity development within the Information Technology Department.
The role requires combinations of strong Computer Science and Economics skills to provide efficient and integrated solutions to the business, not only on the technological dimension, but also on the economic and quantitative modeling dimensions. Additionally, developing and delivering training on use of economic, econometric and machine learning modeling techniques and software and advising on mathematical and high performance computational related problems are integral parts of the role.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
1. Collaborates with economists, financial sector specialists and other professionals from the line-of-business in the selection of the appropriate methods and data sets for economic and econometric modeling.
2. Develops and implements advanced economic and econometric models.
3. Undertakes research towards crafting solutions for challenges arising from economic and econometric modeling.
4. Analyzes requests, designs methodology and develops programs and modules for advanced economic and econometric models.
5. Researches, analyzes, and develops algorithms to improve the performance and extend the capabilities of economic and econometric models.
6. Writes computational and data processing programs using high-level programming languages such as, Matlab, Python, Mathematica, etc.
7. Develops course materials and provides training on use of economic and econometric modeling techniques.
8. Follows up current academic research on computational economics, applied mathematics and econometrics.
9. Other responsibilities required to deliver Computational Economics solutions.
Advanced degree in Computer Science, Economics, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or relevant field plus a minimum of four years of relevant professional experience, or a Bachelor’s degree plus a minimum of ten years of relevant professional experience is required. This position requires advanced programming skills and knowledge of or experience with Economic and Econometric Modeling.
Additionally, below required competencies are required for this role:
- Knowledge of/experience with Economic and Econometric Models.
- Knowledge of/experience with numeric methods.
- Advanced programming skills.
- Ability to follow up current academic research on computational economics, applied mathematics and statistics.
- Ability to develop problem definitions, models, and constraints from informal requirements and deal with ambiguity and competing objectives.
- Strong interpersonal skills and familiarity with economic, financial and statistical models to facilitate the cooperation with Fund’s economists on a variety of economic applications.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and ability to convey higher level technical concepts to non-experts.
- Strong work management skills.
- Facilitation and conflict management skills that enable effective working relationships
- Knowledge of large-scale mathematical programming modeling and algorithm development.
- Knowledge of optimization, including linear programming, nonlinear programming, and dynamic programming.
- Expert knowledge of Linear Algebra.
- Expert knowledge of simulation-based optimization, stochastic programming, approximate dynamic programming and robust optimization.
- Experience with statistics estimation methods including but not limited to maximum likelihood, and method of moments, Vector Auto Regression models, Bayesian inference.
- Experience with econometric, statistical, and mathematical tools/software, such as EViews, Stata, Matlab and Julia.
- Experience with Quantitative Modeling (Economic and Econometric)
- Expert knowledge of Time Series econometrics.
- Strong knowledge of Cross-Section and panel data econometrics.
- Experience with Macroeconomic Models, in particular DSGE, HANK and ABM.
- Knowledge of personal computer architecture and memory organization.
- Knowledge of computational complexity theory.
- Knowledge of Applied and Theoretical Statistical Learning.
- Knowledge of machine learning algorithms and techniques, including deep learning.
- Large experience with distributed and Parallel Computing.
- Extensive experience with Scientific computing and data science programming languages, such as Fortran, Python and R.
This is a one year contractual appointment. Contractual appointments at the IMF are renewable for up to four years of cumulative contractual service, pending incumbent’s performance, budget availability and continuous business need.
ITDCMEM Information Technology Department Content Lifecycle Mgt. Platforms Econometric, AI & ML Modeling
The IMF is committed to achieving a diverse staff, including gender, nationality, culture, and educational background.
The IMF works to foster global monetary cooperation, secure financial stability, facilitate international trade, promote high employment and sustainable economic growth, and reduce poverty. Our work on the macroeconomic benefits of challenges such as empowering women, modernizing the global trading system, wage inequity, and climate change, provides new ideas to safeguard the stability of the international monetary and financial system and addresses the world’s most pressing macroeconomic and financial issues . Our 2, 800 dedicated employees are leaders in their fields and collaborate to address the needs of our members and make a meaningful, positive difference to lives across the globe.
- Office IMF Washington