ICARDA - International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas
This is an internationally recruited position open only for applicants who are Cairo-based and EU passport holders
Main purpose of position
We are looking for an experienced communications expert who can hit the ground running within a busy communications unit and work alongside the ICARDA Communications Manager to produce quality marketing products, while helping to manage and mentor a largely junior team. Products will focus on raising the visibility of ICARDA’s work, especially in women and youth, while positioning the organization, its leader, and its scientists as global go-to experts in the sector.
Reports to: Communications Unit Senior Manager
Location: Cairo, Egypt
The International Center for Agricultural Research in the Dry Areas (ICARDA) is a treaty-based international non-profit research organization supported by CGIAR.
ICARDA’s mission is to reduce poverty, enhance food, water, and nutritional security, as well as environmental health in the face of global challenges including climate change. We do this through innovative science, strategic partnerships, linking research to development and capacity development that take into account gender equality and the role of youth in transforming the dry areas. ICARDA works in partnership with governments, universities, civil society, national agricultural research organization, other CGIAR Research Centers, and the private sector. With its temporary Headquarters in Beirut, Lebanon, ICARDA operates in regional and country offices across Africa, Asia and the Middle East. For more information: (link)
All CGIAR Centers are currently engaged into a reform process (“One CGIAR’”) that will help ICARDA and CGIAR achieve better impact through more strategically integrated research, unified governance, an integrated structure and new research modalities across participating Research Centers. This transformation is supported by CGIAR donors who have committed to increased funding as a result of these reforms.
Typical responsibilities (depending on the skillset of the candidate):
- Fast supply of quality written articles, blogs, and news in English
- Production and oversight of content for marketing tools such as web pages, factsheets, infographics, reports, etc.
- Creation, execution, and management of visibility campaigns across press and social media
- Press outreach and response
- Event support
- Coaching of junior members of the team, while providing scientists with basic communications skills and tools.
Essential qualifications and competencies
- University Degree with a communications focus
- Proven high-level of written English
- At least five years’ experience in strategic communications
Desirable qualifications and competencies
- Proven understanding of digital marketing and its measurable analysis
- Experience in managing and mentoring junior team members
- Ability to write about technical subjects in an appealing and digestible manner
- Proficiency in written and spoken Arabic or French
- Proficiency in basic marketing tools such as website CMS, social media, email marketing, etc.
Terms of appointment
This is an internationally recruited position open only for applicants who are Cairo-based and EU passport holders, the successful incumbent will be granted a 12 month contract, the first 6 months will be a probationary period.
This position is kindly funded by the Center for International Migration and Development (CIM) who place highly qualified personnel in professional positions in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe, to combine development and labor market policy expertise since 1980.
ICARDA is committed to increasing women representation in its workforce and strongly encourages applications from women
Applications will be acknowledged, but due to a high number of applications we apologize in advance as only shortlisted applicants will be contacted