World Health Organization (WHO)
WHO ROE Copenhagen
Communications Consultant, Country Health Policies and Systems
( 2206406 )
Contractual Arrangement : External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : 6 months
Job Posting: Jul 6, 2022, 12:09:07 PM
The WHO Regional Office for Europe is seeking the services of a communications consultant to support specific activities and campaigns related to core priority 1 – Moving towards universal health coverage, as identified in the European Programme of Work, and linked to outcome 1.1, 1.2 and 1.3 of GPW 13 – improved access to health services, financial protection and improved access to essential medicines and health products.
These areas of work fall under the scope of the work of the Division of Country Health Policies and Systems at the WHO Regional Office for Europe.
2. Organizational context
The Division of Country Health Policies and Systems (CPS) assists countries in the Region with the design and implementation of appropriate health policies and systems to strengthen universal health coverage. It works to strengthen data-driven, evidence-informed, contextually tailored health policy development and implementation at national, regional and local levels, taking an inclusive approach across the life course. The Division advocates strengthening of public health leadership, focusing on implementing policies that are people centred, promote health, prevent illness, and address the social and economic determinants of health, while fostering leadership on equity, human rights and gender mainstreaming in health. It focuses on building capacity for health systems innovation to enable the sustainable delivery of high-quality primary health and community services that are effectively linked to hospitals, and mental health, public health and social care services. To do so, CPS supports country efforts to facilitate access so as to leave nobody behind, to improve financial protection, to strengthen the health workforce, to increase access to affordable medicines and technologies, and to promote the uptake and implementation of digital technology.
3. Description of duties
General communications: Under the supervision of the Communications Officer, CPS: a) produce, a series of news stories, country stories, photo stories focusing on health workforce and service delivery, the digital health flagship, the Oslo Medicines Initiative (including the high-level meeting in mid-2022), access to medicines, and the mental health coalition.
b) producesocial media packages for targeted health campaigns, including World Health Day on 7 April 2022.
c) pitch, script and conceptualize 3-4 video projects to be commissioned in countries in the WHO European Region that focus on the European Programme of Work’s three core priorities and 2 of the 4 flagship initiatives.
4. Recruitment Profile
Functional Knowledge and Skills
Excellent writing skills
Native or excellent English level
Proven experience writing news articles for the web
Proven experience creating and publishing for major social media channels
Ability to work independently on tight deadlines
Photo-editing and graphic design skills
Ability to work in close collaboration with team members and external partners
Ability to organize events and supervising suppliers.
Bachelor’s degree in English, Journalism, Communications, Political Science, Public Health or related fields
Minimum 3 years of experience in communications (ideally in an international setting), journalism, marketing, social media marketing, or advertising.
Writing communications products for different audiences and channels.
Experience writing or communicating in the health or development fields is highly desirable.
Native or excellent knowledge of English.
Knowledge of a second language is desirable but not necessary.
5. Contract duration
Copenhagen, Denmark (On-site).
Duty travel may be required.
8. Remuneration and budget
300 USD/day for a full-time consultant, for 6 months.
9. Living expenses
10. Work schedule / Duration of contract
6 months, 100%
11. Additional Information
- This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
- This vacancy notice will be used to create a roster of all suitable candidates.
- Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
- A written test may be used as a form of screening.
- If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this position. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
- For information on WHO’s operations please visit: (link)
- WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
- WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
- Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
- WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice.
- Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between WHO and the Consultant.
- WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by WHO.