WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world
achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of University education in related area. A proficiently/ technical certificate in the related functional area is desirable.
Language: Fluency (level C) in English language and Arabic.
General Service (Field): Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language (English and Arabic), if different.
These jobs are found in Headquarters (HQ), Regional Bureaux (RBs) and Country Offices (COs), and report to a Communications Officer or the designate. Job holders at this level take responsibility for completion of a range of communications processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices.
To perform general administrative and some specialised communications processes that support the creation of communications content and the delivery of communications services aimed at maintaining and enhancing WFP’s visibility and reputation and supporting fundraising activities.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide coordination, administrative and specialised services, to support staff in the development, preparation and execution of communications campaigns for target audiences.
- Monitor and coordinate materials, schedules, facilities and clearances, and provide support for special events, and video/film, photographic and radio projects.
- Conduct clearly defined research and prepare reports and provide data that enables informed decision-making.
- Monitor traditional and social media and report relevant information to senior staff to inform the development and/or evaluation of communications activities and strategies.
- Under clear guidance, prepare content for traditional and social media platforms and networks, and printed materials, to enhance coverage and support of WFP’s activities, ensuring consistency with corporate messages and standards.
- Distribute communications guidelines for WFP staff to refer to when creating content.
- Manage and maintain records and databases, such as journalist and media outlet contact lists, to ensure the information is accurate, organised and readily available for others to access.
- Respond to a variety of queries and requests for support, following standard processes, and obtaining guidance as required, to ensure timely and accurate resolution of all enquiries.
- Liaise with WFP staff and the media in a timely manner, to support aligned activities and an effective approach to communications within WFP.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Media and Influencer Relationship Management
Demonstrates ability to respond to and/or escalate needs of media and influencers within own scope of responsibility to raise the profile of WFP, build relationships and further organisational aims.
Media and Communication Expertise
Collates accurate and timely information presented in required format (i.e. written or visual materials) as well as verbally, to enable information flows and informed decision making on communications issues.
Specialised Knowledge in Communications
Exhibits specalised technical knowledge of communications channels processes, tools and techniques. In immediate area of responsibility, provides support in developing written, visual, audio and multi-media content for communications materials and suggestions for improved communications processes.
Sociopolitical Contextual Understanding
Shows awareness of the multilateral/interagency environment and the dynamics in which WFP operates which informs approach to daily tasks.
Communication Strategy and Planning
Demonstrates sound understanding of WFP communications strategy and effectively implements tailored media and communications plans which support the delivery of the strategy.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Has demonstrated an ability to perform routine communication techniques and activities in line with WFPs operating standards through day to day work
- Has supported in providing ad-hoc guidance to new staff members
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Contract Type: Special Service Agreement SSA
Duty Station: Gaza, Palestine co
Job Title: Communications Assistant G5
Duration: Four months (suggested starting date as 15.09.2021)
Remuneration: 9,128 ILS monthly, unworked days will be deducted
Social Insurance: Not applicable
Renewal of contract: Subject to WFP needs, staff performance and the availability of funds for a maximum duration on 11 months
Annual leave: Not applicable
Sick Leave: Not applicable
Taxes: Remuneration under SSA is not exempt from national or local taxation
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
7th September 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Grade G-5
- Office WFP in Gaza, occupied Palestinian territory