ICRC - International Committee of the Red Cross
ICRC HQ Geneva
Please note that the ICRC is not a UN-system organization.
Purpose of the post
The International Committee of the Red Cross is looking for its CIO!
This is the highest IT leadership role with complete ownership of the establishment and execution of the institution-wide IT strategy to support the institution’s humanitarian goals and strategic orientations to provide protection and humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence.
Given the very fast-paced nature of the humanitarian space, including low bandwidth environments, there is strong accountability for both operations and innovations in the space of security, connectivity and services for internal and external Users.
As a member of the executive leadership team of the Support & Digital Transformation department (SDT), the CIO participate in and contribute to the overall institution’s business model, operating model and business strategy development.
The CIO brings a current knowledge and future vision of using information and technology in business model design, business capability performance re-engineering, product and service development, and support for developing competitive advantage.
IT is part of the SDT department and consists of IT, Finance, Facilities, Procurement, Logistics, Shared Services, Data, and Digital Services divisions.
Core duties and responsibilities
Strategic IT Operating Model & Roadmap:
- Drive the development of enterprise technology standards, governance processes and performance metrics to ensure IT delivers value to the ICRC.
- Manage & mitigate risks through the effective design, delivery and management of I&T capabilities for the enterprise.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight for the design, development, operation and support of IT systems and programs, including enterprise architecture management, application management, security and risk management, and infrastructure and operations support management.
Enable the Work of Our Humanitarian Colleagues:
- With a customer-service approach, support and expand the service attitude and capabilities to enable the ICRC’s 21000 staff best, the majority of whom are located in our 100+ locations worldwide, many of which present difficulties for connectivity and hardware maintenance.
- Ensure I&T capabilities are delivered reliably, sustainably, cost-effectively and securely.
Be a Trusted Technology and Business Leader:
- Contribute actively to the ICRC strategy, capability strategic planning and policymaking.
- Direct the design and implementation of the I&T operating model, organisational structure, and governance process.
- Use influencing and negotiation skills to find opportunities to collaborate to enable cost-effective and innovative shared solutions to achieve business goals.
- Provide direction in what emerging technologies should be introduced and enable experiments through MVP/agile/Design thinking methodology to avoid the proliferation of pilots and ensure IT capabilities respond to the needs of the ICRC digital business strategy.
Be a People Purposeful Leader:
- Provide leadership, coaching and support to the IT leadership team and staff with a particular dedication to cultivating an inclusive, diverse, gender-balanced and learning team to serve ICRC’s purpose of providing protection and humanitarian assistance to people affected by conflict and armed violence.
The CIO chairs or is part of 3 critical governance bodies (SDT Leadership Team, Architecture Board, Tech & Data Board) and is expected to interact regularly with the Head of Support, Delegations and the leadership in other departments to ensure fit-for-purpose IT strategy and execution.
Externally, the CIO is responsible for establishing strategic partnerships with key technology vendors and other humanitarian institutions for sustainable impact, particularly in the area of cyber security, data interoperability, and innovation.
Education and experience required
- Master’s degree in computer science, telecommunication, information management or equivalent.
- At least 15 years of experience in various medium-sized companies or institutions.
- Track record of leading technology and organisation transformations (ERP, product, services, infrastructure, workplace).
- Confirmed ability to lead diverse and multi-cultural teams in a challenging and fast-paced environment.
- Prior experience driving agile and cloud transformation at scale is a strong asset.
- Fluent in English and French.
Desired profile and skills
- Passion for technology with a commitment to impact beneficiaries
- Ability to take a strategic view and ability to zoom into executions when necessary.
- Excellent people development and engagement skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to communicate priorities & decisions and connect and influence internally and externally
- Travel and regular interactions with field colleagues are expected
- Resilience, persistence and resourcefulness in the face of challenges.
Are you ready for the next chapter of your career? Apply today!
- Location: Geneva, Switzerland
- Type of contract: Long-term Assignment
- Length of assignment: 4 years
- Activity rate: 100%
- Estimated start date: Monday, 16 January 2023
- Application deadline: Friday, 30 September 2022
The ICRC values diversity and is committed to creating an inclusive working environment. We welcome applications from all qualified candidates.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, perform essential job functions, and receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Don’t hesitate to get in touch with us to request accommodation.