Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2202579
Call for Expression of Interest – Fellows Programme for FAO Regional/Sub-regional, Country, Liaison Offices and headquarters
Job Posting: 15/Sep/2022
Closure Date: 31/Dec/2022, 10:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FAO Regional, Sub-regional, Country/Liaison Offices and headquarters
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Fellows Programme
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Various Locations
Duration : According to time-bound agreement with hiring office
Post Number : N/A
CCOG Code : N/A
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background and culture
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non-and under-represented Members and person with disabilities are encouraged to apply
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to support development in member countries in the areas of agriculture, fisheries and forestry. FAO’s mandate is to raise levels of nutrition, improve agricultural productivity, better the lives of rural populations and contribute to the growth of the world economy
The Fellows Programme is designed to attract fellows, typically PhD students, researchers and professors, who have an advanced level of relevant technical knowledge and experience in any field of the Organization. They are willing to fulfil their specialized learning objectives and at the same time, contribute their technical expertise and knowledge through time-bound arrangements with FAO.
Assignments should be in line with UN Sustainable Development Goals and FAO’s Strategic Framework to support the 2030 Agenda through the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The fellow will report to an assigned supervisor.
The fellow will be assigned to different fields of work according to his/her profile and to the needs of the Organization.
Tasks and responsibilities
The fellow will perform the functions specified in the Terms of Reference (TOR), prepared by the hiring office before the beginning of the assignment and agreed by the fellow. CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS
- Graduate or post-graduate degree (Master’s or PhD) or be enrolled in a PhD programme in a in a “bona fide” educational institution at the time of application or recent graduate. Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU) / United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at (link)
- Candidates should have at least two years of relevant working or research experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
- Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish). Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset.
- Be nationals of FAO Member Nations.
- Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment and have good communication skills.
- Candidates with family members (defined as brother, sister, mother, father, son or daughter) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not eligible for the Fellows Programme.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
Relevant working or research experience in one of the fields of the Organization. Information to applicants
- Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non- and under-represented member nations as well as candidates from Low-Income Food-Deficit Countries (LIFDCs), Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Land-locked Developing Countries (LLDCs), and Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are encouraged to apply to this Call for Expression of Interest.
- All applications will be reviewed and only qualified applicants will be directly contacted for interviews by the hiring office and contacted again, if selected.
- Selected candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the proposed country of assignment prior to joining the Organization.
- FAO does not provide remuneration to fellows. Fellows should be fully sponsored by an external entity. The name of the sponsoring institution(s) should be mentioned in online application.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications and language skills.
- You are requested to attach a research proposal, the evidence of attendance in a recognized university or copy of your academic qualifications to the online profile.
- Once your profile is completed, please apply and submit your application through the FAO recruitment portal. Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered.
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided on your online profile.
- Please note that FAO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Candidates who are not selected before the closing date and wish to be continuously considered for an assignment are requested to re-apply to the new Calls.
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date. If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT