Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
CALL FOR EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST – VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT : 2300233
Call for Expression of Interest – Fellows Programme for FAO Regional/Sub-regional, Country, Liaison Offices and headquarters
Job Posting: 25/Jan/2023
Closure Date: 25/Aug/2023, 9:59:00 PM
Organizational Unit : FAO Regional, Sub-regional, Country/Liaison Offices and headquarters
Job Type: Non-staff opportunities
Type of Requisition : Fellows Programme
Grade Level : N/A
Primary Location: Various Locations
Duration : Up to a maximum of 11 months
Post Number : N/A
CCOG Code : N/A
IMPORTANT NOTICE: Please note that Closure Date and Time displayed above are based on date and time settings of your personal device.
- FAO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality, background, and culture.
- Qualified female applicants, qualified nationals of non- and under-represented Members and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
- Everyone who works for FAO is required to adhere to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct, and to uphold FAO’s values.
- FAO, as a Specialized Agency of the United Nations, has a zero-tolerance policy for conduct that is incompatible with its status, objectives, and mandate, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.
- All selected candidates will undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
- All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO) leads international efforts to defeat hunger and to achieve food security for all and make sure that people have regular access to enough high-quality food to lead active, healthy lives. With over 195 Members, FAO works in over 130 countries worldwide. We believe that everyone can play a part in ending hunger.
The Fellows Programme is designed to attract fellows, typically PhD students, researchers and professors, who have an advanced level of relevant technical knowledge and experience in any field of the Organization. They are willing to fulfil their specialized learning objectives and, at the same time, contribute their technical expertise and knowledge through time-bound arrangements with FAO.
Assignments should be in line with UN Sustainable Development Goals and FAO’s Strategic Framework to support the 2030 Agenda through the transformation to MORE efficient, inclusive, resilient and sustainable agri-food systems for better production, better nutrition, a better environment, and a better life, leaving no one behind.
The fellow will report to an assigned supervisor.
The fellow will be assigned to different fields of work according to his/her profile and to the needs of the Organization.
Tasks and responsibilities
The fellow will perform the functions specified in the Terms of Reference (TOR) prepared by the hiring office.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Graduate or post-graduate degree (Master’s or PhD) or be enrolled in a PhD programme in a “bona fide” educational institution at the time of application or recent graduate. Please note that FAO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed at (link)
- Candidates should have at least two years of relevant working or research experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
- Working knowledge of at least one FAO language (Arabic, Chinese, English, French, Russian or Spanish). Knowledge of a second FAO language will be considered an asset.
- Be nationals of FAO Members.
- Candidates should be able to adapt to an international multicultural environment and have good communication skills.
FAO Core Competencies
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
At least two years of relevant working or research experience in one of the fields of the Organization.
Please note that all candidates should adhere to FAO Values of Commitment to FAO, Respect for All and Integrity and Transparency.
- FAO does not charge any fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing).
- Qualified female applicants and qualified nationals of non- and under-represented Members, as well as candidates from Low-Income Food-Deficit Countries (LIFDCs), Least Developed Countries (LDCs), Land-locked Developing Countries (LLDCs), and Small Island Developing States (SIDS) are encouraged to apply to this Call for Expression of Interest.
- All applications will be reviewed, and only qualified applicants will be directly contacted for interviews by the hiring office and contacted again, if selected.
- Selected candidates should have appropriate residence or immigration status in the proposed country of assignment prior to joining the Organization.
- Candidates with family members (defined as mother, father, sister, brother, daughter, or son) employed by FAO under any type of contractual arrangement are not eligible for the Fellows Programme.
- FAO does not provide remuneration to fellows. Fellows should be fully sponsored by an external entity. The name of the sponsoring institution(s) should be mentioned in the application.
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, visit the recruitment website at Jobs at FAO and complete your online profile. We strongly recommend that your profile is accurate, complete and includes your employment records, academic qualifications, and language skills.
- Candidates are requested to attach a research proposal, the evidence of attendance in a recognized university or copy of academic qualifications to the online profile.
- Once your profile is completed, please apply, and submit your application. Only applications received through the FAO recruitment portal will be considered.
- Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- Your application will be screened based on the information provided in your online profile.
- Personal information provided in your application may be shared within FAO and with other companies acting on FAO’s behalf to provide employment support services such as pre-screening of applications, assessment tests, background checks and other related services. You will be asked to provide your consent before submitting your application. You may withdraw consent at any time, by withdrawing your application, in such case FAO will no longer be able to consider your application.
- Candidates who are not selected before the closing date and wish to be continuously considered for an assignment are requested to re-apply to the new Calls.
- We encourage applicants to submit the application well before the deadline date.
If you need help, or have queries, please contact: [email protected]
FAO IS A NON-SMOKING ENVIRONMENT