NOTE: WFP DOES NOT SOLICIT FOR FEES OR ANY FORM OF PAYMENT FROM JOB APPLICANTS
WFP is looking for talented people who are committed to joining our efforts to eradicate hunger. It offers unlimited opportunities to grow your professionalism, talent and expertise. Start your journey to be a member of the world-wide effort to eradicate hunger. WFP has a policy of affirmative action for women.
United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need. In emergencies, WFP gets food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After an emergency, WFP uses food to help communities rebuild their lives. On average, WFP reaches more than 80 million people with food assistance in 80 countries each year. The organization has the global footprint, deep field presence and local knowledge and relationships necessary to provide access to food and contribute to lasting solutions, especially in many of the world’s most remote and fragile areas.
Brief description of WFP in Uganda
WFP delivers food assistance in emergencies and work with communities to improve nutrition and build resilience. WFP provides life-saving food assistance and livelihood opportunities to refugees in Uganda. In addition, WFP assists the most vulnerable people in Karamoja with food and nutrition assistance. Finally, WFP works with smallholder farmers and links them to markets.
As Uganda strives to achieve Zero Hunger by 2030 and become a middle-income country by 2040, WFP is also assessing its relevance and repositioning its role in Uganda.
ARE YOU UP TO THE CHALLENGE?
We are seeking qualified individuals for the position of Business Support Assistant (HR) SC4 to be based in Kampala . Selected candidates will be employed on Service Contract.
To perform a range of HR tasks to support accurate implementation of WFP policies and procedures and facilitate the effective functioning of a client-focused and strategy-oriented HR services in the area office/field. Reporting to Head of the field Office and with a functional reporting line to the Human Resource Business Partner, the incumbent will work closely with the Area Office Management, to perform a cross-section of all HR related aspects within the jurisdiction of the area office. These will include, provision of HR administrative Services, guidance and advice on HR issues.
A Business Support Assistant (HR) is needed to support effective execution of HR Operations hence contributing to delivery HR transformation agenda with an HR complement of over 485 country wide.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Coordinate with the internal units/offices on HR related matters, i.e., payroll, contracts, etc. and provide necessary information to enable timely HR services
- Gather HR related information with clear direction to support the drafting of documents and preparing reports by other staff.
- Maintain confidential personnel records, HR databases and archives, to ensure data and files are accurately stored and updated in compliance with the established standards.
- Coordinate employee engagement activities for example General Staff Meetings (GSM), engagement surveys, monthly HR newsletters e.tc.
- Respond to HR related queries and escalate where appropriate, to provide a timely and accurate service to clients.
- Support processing and managing routine administrative and financial tasks to contribute to the effective and timely management of resources
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (2/2)
- Take responsibility for the maintenance of set standard systems and files, to ensure information is accurate and readily available for the function.
- Take responsibility for data integrity to facilitate availability of accurate information in corporate systems.
- Work with a variety of individuals, taking on feedback where appropriate to assist in business support delivery for staff.
- Provide assistance on general HR queries and follow up actions, to ensure consistent and high-quality HR services are delivered to clients.
- Extract and compile HR data on staff recruitment and selection, contractual conditions, entitlements, performance, and training requirements, to support analysis and reporting needs.
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the supervisor from time to time
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Qualifications & Experience Required: ïƒ¼ A University degree in Human Resource Management, Public or Business Administration, Industrial /Organizational Psychology, or any other related field, attained from a recognized institution.
ïƒ¼ At least four (4) years of relevant working experience in Human Resources management and development, administration, gained from reputable organizations.
ïƒ¼ Proficiency in both oral and written English is essential.
ïƒ¼ Good working knowledge and experience using MS Office applications and HR Information Management Systems
Knowledge & Skills: – Ability to maintain confidentiality – Ability to work with teams remotely
– Ability to quickly build credibility with internal stakeholders –
Ability to work well with a diverse team and demonstrated business partnering skills
– Creative problem solver, flexible and constructive approach
– Ability to prioritise multiple stakeholder requests.
Languages: Working knowledge of English
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Thursday 9th September 2021
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Office WFP Kampala