Division of Administration
Budget and Finance Section
Type of Appointment:
Fixed Term Appointment
Date of Issuance:
20 August 2021
Deadline for Applications:
As soon as possible
Please note that all candidates should adhere to CTBTO Values of Integrity, Professionalism and Respect for Diversity.
Qualified female applicants and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
A roster of suitable candidates may be established for similar positions at the same level as a result of this selection process for a period of two (2) years.
The Preparatory Commission for the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty Organization with its headquarters in Vienna is the international organization setting up the global verification system foreseen under the Comprehensive Nuclear-Test-Ban Treaty (CTBT), which is the treaty banning any nuclear-weapon-test explosion or any other nuclear explosion. The Treaty provides for a global verification regime, including a network of 337 stations worldwide, a communications system, an international data centre and on-site inspections to monitor compliance.
This position is located in Budget and Finance Section, Division of Administration. The Division of Administration is committed to sustaining a service-oriented environment by ensuring that all PTS staffmembers receive efficient and high-quality support in the areas of budget, finance, general services, and procurement.
Under the direct supervision of the Budget and Planning Officer, to: : Duties and Responsibilties
- Provide support for the compilation and drafting of all official Programme and Budget Reports;
- Support the Budget and Planning officer in the preparation of the annual calendar, co-ordination and monitoring of all activities related to the programme and budget;
- Maintain a central filing system. Ensure consistent use and appropriate records management of official administrative and finance documents. Contribute to the continuous improvement of knowledge management in finance including preparation of manuals and user guides;
- Liaise with departmental focal points and ensure that data is accurately captured in a timely way the ERP system enabling easy access to information and supporting planning and decision- making;
- Prepare periodic and ad hoc reports, to support accuracy and efficiency of information presented to internal and external stakeholders;
- Perform analysis for predictive forecasting and long-term planning;
- Monitor and report budget implementation status of the Organization and the division, facilitate continued development and consistency in services delivered;
- Undertake research and analysis of budgetary policies and procedures;
- Support the Budget team in identifying efficiency gains and continuous process improvements within Administrative operations; Assist with the tracking and implementation of the internal audit and external audit recommendations in the area of budget and planning;
- Co-ordinate and facilitate the implementation of upgrades to the project management system (COMPASS) of the Provisional Technical Secretariat (PTS);
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- University degree in business or public administration, finance, accounting, economics or related field;
Work Experience and Qualifications
- At least five (5) years of relevant working experience in the field of budget planning and administration, financial management and/or accounting and financial reporting, three of which should have been at an international level;
- At least two (2) years of experience of working with an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system is required;
- An internationally recognized qualification in accounting (e.g. ACCA, CPA, CA, etc) is highly desirable;
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in a multicultural environment is essential;
- Track record of building creative, productive partnerships internally and externally is essential.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English are essential.
- Knowledge of other official CTBTO languages is desirable.
Professionalism – Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Communication – Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed. Planning and organizing – Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently Teamwork – Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; builds consensus for task purpose and direction with team members; supports and acts in accordance with final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings. Accountability – Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable. Creativity – Actively seeks to improve programmes or services; offers new and different options to solve problems or meet client needs; promotes and persuades others to consider new ideas; takes calculated risks on new and unusual ideas; thinks “outside the box”; takes an interest in new ideas and new ways of doing things; is not bound by current thinking or traditional approaches. Client orientation – Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive relationships with clients by gaining their trust and respect.; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress and setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to clients. Commitment to continuous learning – Keeps abreast of new developments in own occupation/profession; actively seeks to develop oneself professionally and personally; contributes to the learning of colleagues and subordinates; shows willingness to learn from others; seeks feedback to learn and improve. Technological Awareness – Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks, shows willingness to learn new technology.
CTBTO offers an attractive compensation and benefits package in accordance with the policies of the International Civil Service Commission. For more information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, see link: (link)). The salary offered may be subject to deductions to the United Nations Joint Staff Pension Fund and/or Health Insurance Scheme.
- All applications must be submitted through the CTBTO e-Recruitment system before the deadline stated in the vacancy announcement.
- Incomplete applications and submission of employment history in formats other than the CTBTO Employment Information Form will not be considered.
- The CTBTO Preparatory Commission retains the discretion not to make any appointment to this vacancy; to make an appointment at a lower grade in particular if the candidate has less than the qualifications required; to make an appointment with a modified job description, or to offer a contract term for a shorter duration than indicated in the vacancy announcement.
- Please note that the CTBTO will only consider academic credentials or degrees obtained from an educational institution recognized in the IAU/UNESCO list.
- The CTBTO reserves the right to undertake correspondence only with shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to a reference-checking process or be requested to provide performance assessments.
- Office CTBTO Vienna