Bio Medical Engineer Consultant- Roster
( 2103959 )
Contractual Arrangement : External consultant
Contract Duration (Years, Months, Days) : 6 months or less
Job Posting: Aug 29, 2021, 3:30:07 PM
The purpose of this consultancy is to provide a technical support to ministry of health in the area of biomedical engineering including installation of medical equipment, maintenance, and capacity building of the local biomedical technicians to ensure continuity of technical support in biomedical equipment installation, maintenance, and training of the local staffs.
The World Health Organization is supporting the federal government of Somalia in health service provision of technical and operational health authorities in Somalia to improve the health of the population. Since COVID-19 pandemic, WHO has been supporting the health authorities to establish PCR laboratories and currently supporting three PCR laboratories located in Mogadishu, provided medical equipment including ventilators, oxygen concentrators, PCR machines to support COVID-19 testing and case management. Medical and laboratory equipment’s that are essential to the provision of quality laboratory and medical services, the equipment require routine maintenance and repair services which ensure that the equipment functions optimally with long lifespan. To ensure this technical support, WHO is currently looking for biomedical consultant to provide technical assistance to ministry of health in medical equipment preventive and curative maintenance services, installation of new medical equipment and training of the local biomedical technicians to strengthening the federal and state ministry of health capacity to a strong system to maintain diagnostic and medical equipment in health facilities.
Planned timelines (subject to confirmation)
To be decided
3. Work to be performed
Output 1: Conduct assessment of biomedical equipment in the national public health laboratories and state level hospitals to determine the availability, functionality and utilization of the equipment
- Develop an assessment tools, train an assessment team and implement assessment of biomedical equipment
- Conduct biomedical equipment assessment in the three laboratories and state and regional level hospitals in the country and produce recommendation the functionality, maintenance and need for replacement status of the equipment.
- Provide technical support and Install, adjust, maintain, repair biomedical equipment in different national, state and regional hospitals and laboratories in Somalia.
- Troubleshoot problems arising in the installation and commissioning of medical equipment
- Develop specifications for equipment to be procured and provide support for purchases of medical equipment and supplies as appropriate.
Output 2: Provide capacity building to national staffs to biomedical equipment installation, maintenance, or repair as well as the proper use of the biomedical equipment.
- Prepare training materials on installation or use of biomedical equipment for biomedical equipment identified from the assessment of biomedical equipment
- Organize hands-on training for the biomedical technicians/engineers in preventive and curative maintenance of medical and laboratory equipment in different regional and national hospitals and major laboratories in the country
- Train laboratory technicians and clinicians on the proper use of the most used biomedical equipment in the country.
- Managing and testing including field testing of clinical equipment and medical devices in hospitals and laboratories.
4. Technical Supervision
The selected Consultant will work on the supervision of: Responsible Officer: Email: Manager: Dr. Mirza Mashrur Ahmed Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
5. Specific requirements
Educational requirements: Essential: Bachelor of Science in biomedical engineering
Desirable: Advanced university degree in biomedical engineering or related study
Experience requirements: 5 to 6 years of relevant experience in the field of biomedical engineering medical and laboratory equipment installation, maintenance, training of biomedical technicians, clinicians and lab personnel on the use of biomedical equipment.
Skills / Technical skills and knowledge:
- Practical skill on biomedical equipment installation, maintenance, and training of biomedical technicians, clinicians, and laboratory personnel
- Ability to work independently
- Excellent writing and communication skills
- Fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English
6. Place of assignment
Mogadishu Somalia, with possibility of travel to the states
7. Medical clearance
The consultant will be expected to provide a medical certificate of fitness to work
The selected Consultant may be expected to travel to countries of the Region upon request.
All travel arrangements will be made by WHO – WHO will not be responsible for tickets purchased by the Consultant without the express, prior authorization of WHO. While on mission under the terms of this consultancy, the Consultant will receive subsistence allowance.
Visas requirements: it is the consultant’s responsibility to fulfil visa requirements and ask for visa support letter(s) if needed.
This vacancy notice may be used to identify candidates for other similar consultancies at the same level.
Only candidates under serious consideration will be contacted.
A written test may be used as a form of screening.
If your candidature is retained for interview, you will be required to provide, in advance, a scanned copy of the degree(s)/diploma(s)/certificate(s) required for this consultancy. WHO only considers higher educational qualifications obtained from an institution accredited/recognized in the World Higher Education Database (WHED), a list updated by the International Association of Universities (IAU)/United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO). The list can be accessed through the link: (link) Some professional certificates may not appear in the WHED and will require individual review.
For information on WHO’s operations please visit: (link)
WHO is committed to workforce diversity.
WHO has a smoke-free environment and does not recruit smokers or users of any form of tobacco.
Applications from women and from nationals of non and underrepresented Member States are particularly encouraged.
WHO’s workforce adheres to the WHO Values Charter and is committed to put the WHO Values into practice
Consultants shall perform the work as independent contractors in a personal capacity, and not as a representative of any entity or authority. The execution of the work under a consultant contract does not create an employer/employee relationship between WHO and the Consultant.
WHO shall have no responsibility whatsoever for any taxes, duties, social security contributions or other contributions payable by the Consultant. The Consultant shall be solely responsible for withholding and paying any taxes, duties, social security contributions and any other contributions which are applicable to the Consultant in in each location/jurisdiction in which the work hereunder is performed, and the Consultant shall not be entitled to any reimbursement thereof by WHO.
- Office WHO Mogadishu, Somalia