WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.
The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world
achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
Education: Completion of secondary school education. Post-secondary certificate in air traffic control, flight dispatch, aeronautical engineering or related field is essential for Air Operations roles, desirable for Air Movement roles. Language: Fluency in both oral and written communication in the UN language in use at the duty station and in the duty station’s language, if different.
These jobs are found in Country Offices (COs), Area Offices (AOs) or Field Offices (FOs) and report to the Aviation Officer, or the designate. Job holders typically specialise in either air transport or air movement, and at this level they work under minimal supervision taking responsibility for completion of a range of processes and activities requiring some interpretation of standard guidelines/practices. Job holders are able to recommend straightforward courses of action to staff, and may allocate tasks and support other staff.
To perform a range of coordination and administrative activities that contribute to the safe and effective air service to the humanitarian community.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Perform operational coordination and administration of air operations, ensuring compliance with WFP standards, including risk management processes, to support safe and effective air operations.
- Liaise with airport officials and other local authorities in order to obtain necessary clearances, documentation and authorisations required for air operations.
- Carry out pre-flight actions to ensure that all registered passengers and cargo are duly carried on the flight, in coordination with crew to ensure safe flights, escalating issues to a supervisor.
- Collate all post-flight documentation in order to confirm flights have taken place and in compliance with established conditions.
- Research, collate and report on aviation related information, to enable decision-making and facilitate air transportation planning, execution and reporting in order to ensure contractual performance.
- Update and maintain relevant databases and records, ensuring that relevant information is accurate, organised, accessible to others, and supports reporting requirements.
- Respond to client queries, following standard processes and obtaining guidance or escalating as required, to ensure timely resolution of all enquiries with a high standard of client service.
- Liaise with internal counterparts in order to carry out duties successfully, support the alignment of aviation activities with wider programmes, to facilitate a coherent approach to air operations.
- Provide support to other staff, assisting them in completing tasks to agreed standards and deadlines.
- Support process reviews, and improvements in methods and practices, in order to maximise the performance of air activities and related operations.
- Follow standard emergency preparedness practices to support WFP to quickly respond in its core areas at the onset of a crisis.
4Ps CORE ORGANISATIONAL CAPABILITIES
- Understand and communicate the Strategic Objectives: Helps teammates articulate WFP’s Strategic Objectives.
- Be a force for positive change: Suggests potential improvements to team’s work processes to supervisor.
- Make the mission inspiring to our team: Explains the impact of WFP activities in beneficiary communities to teammates.
- Make our mission visible in everyday actions: Articulates how own unit’s responsibilities will serve WFP’s mission.
- Look for ways to strengthen people’s skills: Trains junior teammates on new skills and capabilities.
- Create an inclusive culture: Seeks opportunities to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Be a coach & provide constructive feedback: Serves as a peer coach for colleagues in same area of work.
- Create an “I will”/”We will” spirit: Tracks progress toward goals and shares this information on a regular basis with supervisor.
- Encourage innovation & creative solutions: Explores ways to consistently be more efficient and accurate in own areas of work and shares new methods of work with colleagues.
- Focus on getting results: Focuses on getting results and tracks trends in completion rates for own tasks to identify opportunities for efficiency.
- Make commitments and make good on commitments: Takes responsibility for own tasks and notifies supervisor as soon as possible of potential delays in meeting deadlines or commitments.
- Be Decisive: Independently decides what action to take when faced with critical choices in the workplace or in dangerous situations in the field.
- Connect and share across WFP units: Suggests opportunities for partnering with other units to supervisor.
- Build strong external partnerships: Identifies opportunities to work with colleagues and partners in the field towards common goals.
- Be politically agile & adaptable: Develops an understanding of the value of WFP’s teams and external partners in fulfilling team’s goals and objectives.
- Be clear about the value WFP brings to partnerships: Aligns own activities with supervisor’s priorities to fulfill internal and external partner needs.
Description of the behaviour expected for the proficiency level
Supply Chain Management and Optimization
Displays aptitude at monitoring and reporting on supply chain operations to enable teams to efficiently assess the performance and sustainability of current networks.
Planning, Project & Resource Management
Supports the planning, forecasting & resource management efforts of own team by collecting data from diverse sources.
Information Management & Reporting
Collates accurate and timely information and data to enable informed decision making on reporting within individual unit and consequently the greater humanitarian community.
Service Provision, Aviation Contracting & Operational Execution
Supports the negotiation of contracts with third parties by collecting and collating necessary information to enable WFP to make informed decisions.
Aviation Performance Measurement & Quality Control
Demonstrates commitment to carrying out individual activities related to aviation in compliance with WFP’s operating standards to make safe and responsible decisions within own scope of work.
Specialized Technical Knowledge in Aviation, Safety and Security
Uses aviation systems to monitor operational, safety and security issues in WFP’s aviation services such as airlift and airdrop operations, evacuation flights, and other chartered flight operations.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
This section is optional to describe additional responsibilities & knowledge required for the specific job.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in restricted flying zones, and other aviation risks and assisting in flight planning.
- Experience in handling passenger manifests and aircraft loading.
- Experience in interpreting routine weather reports.
- Experience in basic flight following and radio telephony procedures.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
- Office WFP in Rumbek