UNESCO - United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
UNESCO Paris, France
Post Number : ED/PA 206
Grade : P-2
Parent Sector : Education Sector (ED)
Duty Station: Paris
Job Family: Education
Type of contract : Project Appointment
Duration of contract : 1 year
Recruitment open to : Internal and external candidates
Application Deadline (Midnight Paris Time) : 25-NOV-2022
UNESCO Core Values: Commitment to the Organization, Integrity, Respect for Diversity, Professionalism
Duration of contract: 1 year with possibility of extension subject to availability of funds and satisfactory performance.
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The Unit for Technology and Artificial Intelligence in Education under the Future of Learning and Innovation Team, Education Sector, is responsible for supporting Member States’ efforts to leverage technological innovation to support the achievement of SDG 4 and enable the futures of learning. The main areas of work of the Unit include national ICT in education policies, AI and education, open educational resources (OER) and mobile learning, as well as steering the use of emerging technology as a public good for education. Technological innovation in education is one of the thematic priorities of the Education Sector under the 41 C/4 Medium-Term Strategy (2022-2029) and the 41 C/5 Programme and Budget (2022-2025). The Unit is responsible for coordinating the implementation of project activities that will contribute to the achievement of the relevant expected output of the 41 C/4 and 41 C/5 on leveraging technological and digital innovations to ensure more inclusive, effective and relevant learning. The activities will also be implemented through promoting digital public goods for education, developing AI competencies, and leveraging data and AI tools for learning.
The Associate Project Officer will be assigned to support the overall coordination, implementation and monitoring of the project on Technology-enabled Open Schools for All and the project on AI and the futures of learning. Specifically, for the project on Technology-enabled Open Schools for All, he/she will be responsible for (i) assisting in managing and coordinating the cross-country activities over all the country-level projects; (ii) providing HQ, field offices, and project countries with daily administrative back-stopping and technical support as needed; (iii) assisting in monitoring and evaluation of the project at global level to ensure timely periodic and final reporting; (iv) communicating and advocating the project activities and outcomes; and (v) assisting in the coordination with the Donor and other partnerships at global level to support the project implementation and expand the impact of the project. For the project on AI and the futures of learning, he/she will be responsible for (i) assisting with the overall management of the project; (ii) supporting the development of outputs related to the three strands of work of the project (i.e. recommendation on AI-enabled futures of learning, AI competency framework, and guidance on the ethical use of AI in education); and (iii) liaising with relevant experts and facilitating the organization of expert meetings and consultations if requested. Upon assignment, the incumbent will also provide technical and administrative support for other projects of the Unit.
Under the overall authority of the Assistant Director-General for Education, the guidance of the Director of Future of Learning and Innovation Team and the immediate supervision of the Chief of Unit for Technology and Artificial Intelligence in Education (ED/FLI/ICT), the incumbent will carry out the following tasks and responsibilities: 1. Project support -Contribute to the management and coordination of the project on Technology-enabled Open Schools for All and the project on AI and the futures of learning; -Coordinate cross-country project activities and monitoring of in-country activities for the project on Technology-enabled Open Schools for All, providing content, technical and administrative backstopping as required. -Organize events and workshops, by preparing, collecting and organizing relevant materials, documents as well as presentations and reports; liaising with experts; drafting technical reports; and promoting events through the established project website and related channels. -Undertake research tasks, including the preparation of background documents and concept notes. -Support the development and updating of project document and work plans.
2. Budgeting and financial support -Assist in funds transfer and/or authorization relating to the projects; monitor the financial flow and reporting. -Prepare expenditure reviews for specific beneficiary countries as well as for the overall budget. -Support budget proposal development, planning and monitoring in the implementation of the work plan and budget.
3. Monitoring, reporting and evaluation -Coordinate the regular monitoring and follow-up on project activities and progress in project countries. -Draft progress reports and other documents requested by the relevant stakeholders and donor. -Contribute to the organization of and participate as relevant in review missions in countries benefitting from the project on Technology-enabled Open Schools for All to monitor progress and provide technical support. -Assist in the liaison with relevant teams at UNESCO to conduct the final evaluations of the Huawei and the AI and futures of learning projects.
4. Knowledge production, communications and relation with partners -Contribute to liaising with the related UNESCO field offices for monitoring progress in the Huawei project countries. -Organization expert meetings and consultations for the AI and the futures of learning project. -Support the development of knowledge products related to the three strands of work of the project (i.e. recommendation on AI-enabled futures of learning, AI competency framework, and guidance on the ethical use of AI in education). -Coordinate the follow-up with the related UNESCO field offices on the timely submission of progress reports; collect, organize and synthetize reports, and provide immediate feedback in terms of progress and finance. -Assist in the preparation of advocacy materials including news and press releases, brochures, newsletters and other communication related materials. -Maintain and update the Huawei and AI and the futures of learning project webpages and help advocate for the project through social media.
COMPETENCIES (Core / Managerial)
Knowledge sharing and continuous improvement (C)
Planning and organizing (C)
Results focus (C)
For detailed information, please consult the UNESCO Competency Framework.
- Advanced university degree (Master or equivalent), preferably in the field of education, educational technology, social science, law or related fields.
- Minimum two years of relevant work experience in the area related to ICT in education or management of projects in the field of education, preferably at the international level.
- Experience in the implementation, evaluation and advocacy of programmes and projects related to education, including administrative and financial matters, as well as coordinating with internal and external partners and networks.
- Experience in planning, preparation and organization of workshops and meetings under the framework of education-related projects.
- Good writing skills and ability to draft clear and concise reports.
- Ability to conduct analytical studies and prepare presentations on project implementation.
- Ability to design instruments for the monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with proven ability to maintain effective working relations within a multicultural environment.
- Ability to work and cooperate in a multicultural environment and team.
- Excellent knowledge of ICT and good knowledge in using social media and mobile applications.
- Demonstrated capacity to manage projects and work under tight deadlines.
- Excellent knowledge of English (written and spoken) and good knowledge of French.
- Experience within UNESCO and good understanding of the Organization, including its administrative procedures and financial process.
- Experience in ICTs for education.
- Experience in the context of African countries.
- Knowledge of another official UNESCO’s language (Arabic, Chinese, Russian and Spanish).
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries consist of a basic salary and other benefits which may include if applicable: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance, pension plan etc.
The approximate annual starting salary for this post is USD 68,709.
For full information on benefits and entitlements, please consult our Guide to Staff Benefits.
SELECTION AND RECRUITMENT PROCESS
Please note that all candidates must complete an on-line application and provide complete and accurate information. To apply, please visit the UNESCO careers website. No modifications can be made to the application submitted.
The evaluation of candidates is based on the criteria in the vacancy notice, and may include tests and/or assessments, as well as a competency-based interview.
UNESCO uses communication technologies such as video or teleconference, e-mail correspondence, etc. for the assessment and evaluation of candidates.
Please note that only selected candidates will be further contacted and candidates in the final selection step will be subject to reference checks based on the information provided.
UNESCO recalls that paramount consideration in the appointment of staff members shall be the necessity of securing the highest standards of efficiency, technical competence and integrity. UNESCO applies a zero-tolerance policy against all forms of harassment. UNESCO is committed to achieving and sustaining equitable and diverse geographical distribution, as well as gender parity among its staff members in all categories and at all grades. Furthermore, UNESCO is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Candidates from non- and under-represented Member States ( last update here) are particularly welcome and strongly encouraged to apply. Individuals from minority groups and indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the highest level of confidentiality. Worldwide mobility is required for staff members appointed to international posts.
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.